9 Speed Triple Shimano set up... thinking of switching to 9 speed compact
    RoadBikeReview Member

9 Speed Triple Shimano set up... thinking of switching to 9 speed compact

hey guys.. thinking of making a switch .. i currently have mostly SHIMANO ULTEGRA 6503 parts.. with the exception of my (triple front ultegra 6603 (10 speed) derailleur and my FSA STOCK ALLOY TRIPLE CRANK 53/42/30)...

i live in LA... my riding style is more of a weekend warrior.. i find myself always having to adjust my front derailleur and every so often from shifting up and down throughout my 3 large chain rings... and i find myself not even really using most of those gears.. want to go to a compact double.. easier maint?

thinking of the SHIMANO FC-4550..i know its tiagra level. however it seems way more better ( so articulate huh!?) than my super heavy clunky flexy FSA cranks.

SO ... will my front derailleur work with the SHIMANO FC-4550? or will i need a double specific front derailleur... anything else am i missing? any comments are welcomE!
    LOOK / CERVELO / BRIDGESTONE / TREK / BMC / COLNAGO

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    Your current front derailleur will probably work ok. I suspect derailleurs are more forgiving than people give them credit for. The inner and outer limits will be tighter than with the triple. Your current bottom bracket is for a triple but the new crank is a double. The BB might hold the crank a bit further out than a proper double-compatible BB. That's not necessarily bad, just that your feet will be spaced wider.