9sp Shimano Cable Runs

Printable View

• 09-15-2020
    GKSki
    How so? Meets requirements and aesthetics are a helluva lot better.
  • 09-15-2020
    cxwrench
    You sure that doesn't pull on the housing when you turn the bars 90*? Just looks a little short to me. I never would have bothered shortening the original housing. A little long is not a problem, too short...a problem. If it works fine, great. I notice a LOT of things about bikes when they come in to the shop. The pic in the OP I wouldn't have said a word about...your shortened version...I'd make sure I checked that right away to confirm it's long enough. Let's just say the new version would catch my eye, the old one wouldn't.
  • 09-15-2020
    ogre
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GKSki View Post
    How so? Meets requirements and aesthetics are a helluva lot better.

Hard to tell, but the front shifter housing looks like it bends immediately when exiting the shifter. It should follow the natural path after it exits the shifter for a cm or two. Sending an overhead shot would with the "We're not there" interweb judging.
  • 09-15-2020
    202cycle
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    You sure that doesn't pull on the housing when you turn the bars 90*? Just looks a little short to me. I never would have bothered shortening the original housing. A little long is not a problem, too short...a problem. If it works fine, great. I notice a LOT of things about bikes when they come in to the shop. The pic in the OP I wouldn't have said a word about...your shortened version...I'd make sure I checked that right away to confirm it's long enough. Let's just say the new version would catch my eye, the old one wouldn't.

What he said. 100%. If I were replacing cable and hosing on the original set up, I would have measured the new housing with the old and not changed a thing. Itís your bike, but the opinion of pro mechanics should be considered. Aesthetics are the second thought sometimes.
  • 09-15-2020
    GKSki
    Appreciate the opinions but I think it came out alright and I am rid of the rat's nest. Shifts well and turns fine. All the curves are naturally flowing and I think I will get some of those cable protector tubes for the casings near the head tube.
  • 09-15-2020
    cxwrench
    Ok, but this is not like preferring red over blue. 202 and I both think they're short. We've been doing this for a bit, so make absolutely sure you can turn the bars at least 90* and not have any pull on the housing cuz I think you've cut too much in your misguided quest to 'get rid of the rat's nest'.
  • 09-16-2020
    Lombard
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Ok, but this is not like preferring red over blue. 202 and I both think they're short. We've been doing this for a bit, so make absolutely sure you can turn the bars at least 90* and not have any pull on the housing cuz I think you've cut too much in your misguided quest to 'get rid of the rat's nest'.

I vote for too short as well. Here is a pic of the bike I have with external cables.

https://forums.roadbikereview.com/at...d=328577&stc=1
  • 09-16-2020
    cxwrench
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I vote for too short as well. Here is a pic of the bike I have with external cables.

https://forums.roadbikereview.com/at...d=328577&stc=1

Oh damn...now we've got a whole new collection of weirdness going on. :eek:
  • 09-16-2020
    Lombard
    Quote:

Oh damn...now we've got a whole new collection of weirdness going on. :eek:

Weirdness? You don't like my b-levers? :p
  • 09-16-2020
    cxwrench
    Quote:

Weirdness? You don't like my b-levers? :p

Your 'chicken levers'? :D
  • 09-16-2020
    Lombard
    Quote:

Your 'chicken levers'? :D

What can I say? I like to have brakes for more than one hand position. I don't care what anybody else thinks.
  • 09-16-2020
    cxwrench
    Quote:

What can I say? I like to have brakes for more than one hand position. I don't care what anybody else thinks.

Shimano actually just came out w/ a bar-top intermediate lever for disc brakes. It's pretty cool.
  • 09-16-2020
    MDM
  • 09-17-2020
    Lombard
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MDM View Post

LOL, cute!
  • 09-17-2020
    MDM
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...1070d35f68.jpg

I haven't ridden this bike in a while, but I think I could go a little shorter because I'm getting some cable rub on the head badge.