Adjusting R8000

Thread: Adjusting R8000

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2016

Adjusting R8000

Two of our group have the R8000 groupset on their bikes. I noticed with both of them, the cable end on the RD was rubbing of the spokes and was well worn. has any one else noticed this. Also, the front FD looks a complex bit of kit to adjust. Most of our gang are funning 10 speed 6700 and have got great reliability out of it. A few have 6800 and at lease 5 have 6870. The main question is do cyclist think the R8000 is a improvement over 6700/6800?

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a hill View Post
    Two of our group have the R8000 groupset on their bikes. I noticed with both of them, the cable end on the RD was rubbing of the spokes and was well worn. has any one else noticed this. Also, the front FD looks a complex bit of kit to adjust. Most of our gang are funning 10 speed 6700 and have got great reliability out of it. A few have 6800 and at lease 5 have 6870. The main question is do cyclist think the R8000 is a improvement over 6700/6800?
    You get 3 guesses, only 1 counts.

Answer: This should be very, very obvious...the cable end is too long. Solution: Cut it shorter.

As for 8000 performance...it works very well. Better than previous Ultegra. The front derailleur is a little more work to adjust. It's not hard, you just have to pay attention. The big problem is guys not being willing to learn the steps to work with something new and different.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2016
    Thanks for that. Yes you are correct with the cable too long. Looking closer, you need to trim it back quite abit as in the big sprocket, the cable end comes in very close to the spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hill View Post
    Thanks for that. Yes you are correct with the cable too long. Looking closer, you need to trim it back quite abit as in the big sprocket, the cable end comes in very close to the spokes.
    Not really, you should never leave a bunch of cable after the anchor bolt. They should always be short. This derailleur is not different.

Russian Troll Farmer
    In short: the derailleur is fine, it's the idiot who put the bike together who made a mistake. I've noticed that often cable housing kits have a rear derailleur section that is too long, and most people put it in as-is, and don't bother to shorten it.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Response from a total amateur who recently set up R8000 after previously working on older Shimano and various Campy groups...

1. The RD is NOT hard to set up at all. Itís obvious the cable end needs to be cut fairly short, and the Shimano manual is very clear about this. Leaving it too long is just a sloppy mistake.

2. The FD is a bit more complicated, but mainly itís just a different setup. If you follow Shimanoís instructions it works great. If you try to do it like youíve done previous FD setups, without reading the instructions, you are very likely to get it set up *almost* right, but not really. If you do it by the book, itís the best shifting mechanical FD Iíve ever used.

Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    In short: the derailleur is fine, it's the idiot who put the bike together who made a mistake. I've noticed that often cable housing kits have a rear derailleur section that is too long, and most people put it in as-is, and don't bother to shorten it.
    True but we're not talking about the housing in this thread.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2016
    Thanks for that guys. One bike is a Trek Emonda and the other one is a Giant TCR. I will tell the lads to go back to the two LBS and complain for a poor set up.