Adjusting Shimano 105 Rear Derailer
    RoadBikeReview Member

Adjusting Shimano 105 Rear Derailer

I have been trying to learn how to adjust my rear derailer on my own through just enough internet reading and trial and error to be dangerous. I have everything running pretty smoothly shifting easily (maybe not bike shop tune up quality but pretty close I think). My only issue is that I get a little grinding when I am in the big chain ring and largest rear cog. I will never be in that gear combo so it a big deal? What can I do to get this gear combo to run smooth?
    2010 Cannondale CAAD9 5 63cm Charcoal Gray
    Crank Compact 50/34 Rear Cogs 12-27
    Handlebars Kore ROAD 6031
    Bar Wrap Profile Design Shock Wrap
    Pedals Speedplay Zero Cro Moly
    Seatpost Thomson Elite 410mm
    Computer/Cadence Sensor Garmin Forerunner 305
    Bottle Cages Specialized Rib Cage Pro Road
    Headlight ViewPoint Flare 5 LED
    Taillight ViewPoint Flashpoint Ultra

"Hey, let's be careful out there."
    -Sergeant Phil Esterhaus
    Hill Street Blues

Rub it............
    Big gear up front and big gear in the back is considered cross chaining. Its a no-no. Most avoid this combo.
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    When the big-big combo is used it causes the chain to bend at such a angle that it is rubbing against the teeth of the cogsand chainring instead of gliding over the teeth. This rubbing grinds and helps to wear out the chain and cog/chainring faster than if the chain and gear selection was in a less stressful conbonation. The small/small gear combo is also frowned on (and usually noisier).

Adventure Seeker
    Go to www.sheldonbrown.com and search gear ratios. You'll find out why there isn't any good reason to cross chain.
    I have a single track mind

RoadBikeReview Member
    Non-rubbing cross chaining is possible with the combination of proper RD and FD settings (noting that I have a 105 rear derailleur as well to get this working), but still ill-advised. Just make sure with both rings you can acesses about 6-7 sequential gears perfectly, one-by-one, both ways.

A slight learning tidbit: Just because you paid for a 10 speed cassette, doesn't mean you're expected to make use all of 10 cassette gears per chainring. A 10 speed cassette does indeed have more range (gear selection) than a 9 speed cassette, but its true advantage lies within having closer ratios to reduce the differences when shifting through the rear gears - which in turn results in smoother transistions for changes in gradient (angle relative to the horizontal/flat). One could have the legs to muscle/spin a given gear if lacking the close-ness of such ratios, but it's not to say they're unable to benefit from then converting to a greater speed cassette.