Aero Drop Bars?

Thread: Aero Drop Bars?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012

Aero Drop Bars?

I'm currently working on my latest build and am trying to decide on a set of aero drop bars. I weigh about 62 kg and will be racing on these bars for the whole of this season.So far I have this list of possible options.

-Bontrager XXX Aero
    -Zipp Sl70
    -S-Works Aerofly

I've eliminated the following bars for either lack of stiffness or inability to mount a K-edge.

-3T Aeronova/tundo (supposedly very flexy)
    -Enve SES Aero (No room to mount a K-edge)

If anyone has experience with any on these bars, including the ones that I've eliminated please let me know. Please post any other aero drop bars I may have missed.

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Not sure why you think you can't mount a K-Edge on the Enve bar, the round section is 48mm wide, which is more than big enough for most stems and a K-Edge.

Also not sure why you think stiffness will be an issue w/ your weight. Are you unusually strong or do you do something really weird when sprinting?
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've had a k-edge on an Enve Aero Road bar before... Look C-Stem when I was using that bar.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    My current stem has a 45mm clamp width so the 48mm clamp area would be too small. However because the enve seems to be the best option I may have to swap stems. I'm looking for stiffness is because i tend to notice the small flexes when sprinting. I may be using too much upper body when I sprint.

Forever a Student
    I have the ENVE bars. They're too small to mount anything on there with an ENVE stem. The company knows this, I discussed it with them. they're developing their own mount with "another company." I didn't want to wait for them so I called upon the great MT to make me one. He's made one for each of my bikes and stems.

I have the S-Works ones as well. Much easier cable routing than the ENVE but a slightly longer reach. The drops are both right about the same compact shape.

I have a set of the Zipp SL-70 Aero's on order right now. I needed a 70mm reach set of bars and they're on a go fast Oltre so it's a perfect fit for me. The cable routing looks even better than the S-Works and so is the reach for me. The shape of the drops however looks like a more traditional Zipp approach, not the real aggressive compact shape that I like. They're not the typical Zipp SSR Shape, they're a little different. I'll have to just wait for them to arrive to see.

If you can just get a mount made that attaches to the stem bolts like the Fizik stems I think you should be fine with the ENVE. They're certainly the sexiest if you ask me. They're all good though if you like that sort of thing.

Oh, the flare.
    S-Works have zero flare. 42 at the hoods is 42 at the drops.
    ENVE has a huge flare. 39.5 at the hoods is 44 at the drops.
    Zipp has a moderate flare. 39.5 at the hoods is 42 at the drops.

That might be the determining factor. I love the flare on the ENVE, really suits my syle of riding and position I think.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    I have the ENVE bars. They're too small to mount anything on there with an ENVE stem. The company knows this, I discussed it with them. they're developing their own mount with "another company." I didn't want to wait for them so I called upon the great MT to make me one. He's made one for each of my bikes and stems.

I have the S-Works ones as well. Much easier cable routing than the ENVE but a slightly longer reach. The drops are both right about the same compact shape.

I have a set of the Zipp SL-70 Aero's on order right now. I needed a 70mm reach set of bars and they're on a go fast Oltre so it's a perfect fit for me. The cable routing looks even better than the S-Works and so is the reach for me. The shape of the drops however looks like a more traditional Zipp approach, not the real aggressive compact shape that I like. They're not the typical Zipp SSR Shape, they're a little different. I'll have to just wait for them to arrive to see.

If you can just get a mount made that attaches to the stem bolts like the Fizik stems I think you should be fine with the ENVE. They're certainly the sexiest if you ask me. They're all good though if you like that sort of thing.

Oh, the flare.
    S-Works have zero flare. 42 at the hoods is 42 at the drops.
    ENVE has a huge flare. 39.5 at the hoods is 44 at the drops.
    Zipp has a moderate flare. 39.5 at the hoods is 42 at the drops.

That might be the determining factor. I love the flare on the ENVE, really suits my syle of riding and position I think.
    Thanks for that! You've helped me a lot! The reach and the drop of the SL-70 has definitely held me back from getting them. I'm not sure they would fit my riding style. The ENVE's seem like the best fit as far as reach and drop shape are concerned. Where did you get the mount that attaches to the front of your stem from?

PMC
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Try here for a stem mount. Garmin Edge mount | Edge-Mount.Bike

You'd just need to know your stem bolt center to center and you're good to go.

Forever a Student
    that's correct. And ENVE is 22mm.
    use a torque wrench