All Shimano 9 speed with clutch derailleur in 2019
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2019

All Shimano 9 speed with clutch derailleur in 2019

I've been researching gears in the hope of getting what I now know many people wanted years ago - a stronger 9 speed chain with a clutch rear derailleur for my commuter (journey is about 50/50 tarmac and canal path including some really bumpy bits)

Back in the day it was only possible using an SRAM shifter and a spacer on the derailleur but unless I'm missing something using 11 speed 'MTB' bar end shifter (3.6mm cable pull) with a 10 speed MTB derailleur (1.2 ratio) results in a cog pitch of 4.32 which is pretty damn close to the 4.34 of a 9 speed cassette.

Would anyone be so kind as to tell me if I'm right or missing something obvious before I start spending on an Easter upgrade?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by suicidal_orange View Post
    I've been researching gears in the hope of getting what I now know many people wanted years ago - a stronger 9 speed chain with a clutch rear derailleur for my commuter (journey is about 50/50 tarmac and canal path including some really bumpy bits)

Back in the day it was only possible using an SRAM shifter and a spacer on the derailleur but unless I'm missing something using 11 speed 'MTB' bar end shifter (3.6mm cable pull) with a 10 speed MTB derailleur (1.2 ratio) results in a cog pitch of 4.32 which is pretty damn close to the 4.34 of a 9 speed cassette.

Would anyone be so kind as to tell me if I'm right or missing something obvious before I start spending on an Easter upgrade?
    Not sure what your question is. Maybe that's why you've gotten no responses.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2019
    Thanks Kerry, seemed clear to me but maybe it's not The question is would an 11 speed shifter and 10 speed derailleur result in properly indexed shifting on a 9 speed cassette?

The maths says yes but I've been reading around for weeks and find it very strange that no-one has mentioned it as a solution, though maybe it's just because by the time 11 speed came out people had forgotten about 9. It's also not listed at the bottom of the Shiftmate compatibility list...