alternative method for pump pegs?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004

alternative method for pump pegs?

I decided to start packing my full length Blackburn FP-1. I know it came with a zip lock that could be used as a pump peg. I used a zip lock I had and it works o.k. but the head is a tad too wide to fit the hole at the end of the pump (ht), so it's not too secure, I have to cinch down tight with velcro straps. I will probably have to use the straps anyway, but it should fit better.

Question #1: Is there any type of after-market pump peg? I can't believe that in this day and age there isn't one. I searched a couple bike catalogs and on-line and could not locate anything.

Question #2: If there are no after-market pump pegs, what width zip lock should I use? I went to a hardware store and they had different lengths, but the same width (accept for the small ones that won't work).

Question #3: Has anybody rigged a pump peg, and if so, how?

Diesel Engine
    1 - I know Zefal used to produce one a long time ago, I think I have one lying around somewhere. Something like a black plastic radiator clamp with a plastic pin sticking out. It works, but isn't too pretty as you would need to mount it on the same tube as the pump would be on. Also, on most frames it will sit fairly far back from the head tube, which can be a problem. Maybe you could make that work - if you want the one I have, I'd be happy to drop it in the mail to you.

2 - I'd try a zip tie like the ones that come with cycle computers. They tend to have small heads. I bought a canister from home depot a few years ago and that assortment has some sizes that have smaller heads and look like they would fit around a frame tube.

3 - Haven't done it, but I don't see why it can't be done. A peg of some sort could be epoxied onto the frame. Also, try different mounting positions - I remember someone here showing a picture a while back that showed their FP-1 mounted on the seatstay.

Good luck.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004

Zip locks..

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Prince
    1 - I know Zefal used to produce one a long time ago, I think I have one lying around somewhere. Something like a black plastic radiator clamp with a plastic pin sticking out. It works, but isn't too pretty as you would need to mount it on the same tube as the pump would be on. Also, on most frames it will sit fairly far back from the head tube, which can be a problem. Maybe you could make that work - if you want the one I have, I'd be happy to drop it in the mail to you.

2 - I'd try a zip tie like the ones that come with cycle computers. They tend to have small heads. I bought a canister from home depot a few years ago and that assortment has some sizes that have smaller heads and look like they would fit around a frame tube.

3 - Haven't done it, but I don't see why it can't be done. A peg of some sort could be epoxied onto the frame. Also, try different mounting positions - I remember someone here showing a picture a while back that showed their FP-1 mounted on the seatstay.

Good luck.
    .................................................. .................................................. ...
    As an after thought, I shot an email to Blackburn and inquired about which size zip lock to use. I hear they have excellent customer service, they just might send me a couple.

I found a couple of places that sell braze on type pump pegs for about $1.00. But I don't know if I want to glue one of those on my Colnago. I might if I knew exactly where to place it.

I started packing all my stuff in my jersey pockets after I lost my seatbag on a ride the other day. I'm surprised on how lighter my bike feels, and handles a lot better also. I've gone overkill on the stuff I pack on rides, a frame pump actually cuts down on what I carry. My bike also looks a lot cleaner without a seatbag.

Blackburn now makes a CF FP-1, hmmmm I might check and see what one of those puppies cost. Probably expensive.

Seems like I'm going back to what worked.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Zefal pump clips are available through QBP. retail cost should be around $5, IIRC. The cheaper option is to use a zip-tie. You need one with the following properties:

1. The "head", the little square bit that the strap goes through, should be just a bit smaller than the hole in the end of your pump handle.

2. The strap must be long enough to wrap around the head tube.

Wrap the zip-tie around the head tube, and snug it up, but don't pull it all the way tight yet. You may need to slide it up or down to get the best fit, so leave room.

Orient the zip-tie so that the "head" is on the rear of the head tube, and the tag end of the strap is pointing at the seat tube.

Set the pump in the frame, not using the zip-tie. Figure out where the zip-tie should sit on the head tube. You want the tag end of the strap to go straight into the peg hole in the pump handle.

Set the zip-tie at the correct height, and pull it tight. Cut the end off. Leave it a bit long, and trim it so that the stub end goes as deeply as possible into the peg hole, without bottoming out. Ideally, the hole will be deep enough so that the whole head of the zip tie fits inside, and the end of the handle rests on the head tube.

Like this:

h ||
    e ||
    a ||====|
    d ||-------| |
    t ||ziptie|--| <---- peg hole
    u ||-------| |
    b ||====|
    e ||

Works well, though I'd still use a strap. Cheap insurance.

--Shannon

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004

Smile Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by tube_ee
    Zefal pump clips are available through QBP. retail cost should be around $5, IIRC. The cheaper option is to use a zip-tie. You need one with the following properties:

1. The "head", the little square bit that the strap goes through, should be just a bit smaller than the hole in the end of your pump handle.

2. The strap must be long enough to wrap around the head tube.

Wrap the zip-tie around the head tube, and snug it up, but don't pull it all the way tight yet. You may need to slide it up or down to get the best fit, so leave room.

Orient the zip-tie so that the "head" is on the rear of the head tube, and the tag end of the strap is pointing at the seat tube.

Set the pump in the frame, not using the zip-tie. Figure out where the zip-tie should sit on the head tube. You want the tag end of the strap to go straight into the peg hole in the pump handle.

Set the zip-tie at the correct height, and pull it tight. Cut the end off. Leave it a bit long, and trim it so that the stub end goes as deeply as possible into the peg hole, without bottoming out. Ideally, the hole will be deep enough so that the whole head of the zip tie fits inside, and the end of the handle rests on the head tube.

Like this:

h ||
    e ||
    a ||====|
    d ||-------| |
    t ||ziptie|--| <---- peg hole
    u ||-------| |
    b ||====|
    e ||

Works well, though I'd still use a strap. Cheap insurance.

--Shannon
    Thanks, I pretty much have it down how to install the zip lock. I have the pump on my Colnago now (just got back from a ride). I emailed Blackburn inquiring about what size zip lock (width) I should use, all the zip locks at my hardware store are different lenghts, but the same width, accept for the very small one's that won't work. Part of the problem is my bike has so much wax on it that the zip lock slides around, so I put a very small piece of velcro tape on the back side of the HT, and cinched down tight with the zip lock tie and it stays put.
    I also have it secured with a velcro strap, just in case.

I imagine that Blackburn might send me a couple of zip locks and I inquired about a new gasket for the presta valve, the pump is 5 years old, but I have not used it that much.

Performance has the FP-1's on sale now for $14.99. I ordered one (on back order) and will put the new one on my Colnago and the old one on my old Klein.

Thanks for the help, that is very nice of you.
    Dino

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinosaur
    Performance has the FP-1's on sale now for $14.99. I ordered one (on back order) and will put the new one on my Colnago and the old one on my old Klein.
    The blackburn is a pretty nice pump, but once you try the Zefal HpX, you'll never buy another frame fump. The sping lockout is worth every cent of $25, and the Zefal is bulletproof.

--Shannon, a Zefal fan from:
    San Diego, CA

Jan 2004

Got a box full of those Zefal pegs, but watch out...

I bought a box of those Zefal pegs, a dozen I think, for $1 off a clearance table a couple of years ago. The top tube on my Atlantis is too long for the longest Zefal HpX, so I use them there. Problem is that the things fail suddenly. They work great for a few months, then the strap will snap as you're riding along. It's happened to me twice. I'm guessing it's UV damage, because they broke in the middle, at the top of the top tube, not at the fastener.
    No prob to put a spare in the tool kit, but I'm going to hate it if the pump bounces up into the spokes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004

Zefal..

The blackburn is a pretty nice pump, but once you try the Zefal HpX, you'll never buy another frame fump. The sping lockout is worth every cent of $25, and the Zefal is bulletproof.

--Shannon, a Zefal fan from:
    San Diego, CA

Yeah, I think the Zefal might be a better frame pump, but I already have an FP-1, I just order a new one from Performance for $14.99-on sale. The plus factor about Zefal's is they offer rebuild kits, I can't locate a rebuild kit for my FP-1 and Blackburn won't respond to my inquires. Maybe I will take back what I said about their good customer service...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004

Velco

Quote Originally Posted by Cory
    I bought a box of those Zefal pegs, a dozen I think, for $1 off a clearance table a couple of years ago. The top tube on my Atlantis is too long for the longest Zefal HpX, so I use them there. Problem is that the things fail suddenly. They work great for a few months, then the strap will snap as you're riding along. It's happened to me twice. I'm guessing it's UV damage, because they broke in the middle, at the top of the top tube, not at the fastener.
    No prob to put a spare in the tool kit, but I'm going to hate it if the pump bounces up into the spokes.
    Thanks Cory, I think I have it under control. I can't reply on the ziploc to hold the FP-1 securely. I secured it down using one velcro strap near the front part of the pump and it stays nice and secure. I started out with two velcro straps, but one will do it. I lost a mini pump once because the water bottle mount broke and it flew back into my rear wheel, the lucky thing was I was not going that fast, but at a fast speed it could really have done some damage. I find I am going back in time, a full length frame pump, now I'm thinking about that Brooks Pro saddle sitting on the shelf in my garage........

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory
    A quick wrap of black CatEye cloth tape (it's got the best glue, IMHO) over the clamp band would be a cheap way to protect the peg from the sun. Or you could go with a wrap of hemp twine. Wrap all the way around the pump clip, leaving just the peg sticking out. Use a coat or two of Elmer's white glue to keep it from unravelling. To protect your frame's paint job, use a short section of an old innertube under the strap, and wrap the tape or twine so that a little bit of the tube is showing on both sides.

--Shannon

Jun 1999

old options

https://secure.netonline.nl/ssl/rena...s/default2.asp

https://secure.netonline.nl/ssl/rena...gnolo.asp?t=40

MIS004CLIP - CAMPY pump peg. NOS $ 28.-

https://secure.netonline.nl/ssl/rena...opean.asp?t=40

CEMIS005aPUMP UMBRELLA CLIP - CAMPAGNOLO - umbrella clip $ 7.-

CEMIS005A1PUMP PEG- CAMPAGNOLO pump peg. NOS $ 25.-

RoadBikeReview Member

improvised pump peg

I made one out of a Zefal mount intended for the seat tube, ground down the head so it fit the pump end well and mounted it to the head tube instead. Tried a zip tie before that, but it rotated too easily...the photos show how it looks before and after grinding.
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by ukiahb
    I made one out of a Zefal mount intended for the seat tube, ground down the head so it fit the pump end well and mounted it to the head tube instead. Tried a zip tie before that, but it rotated too easily...the photos show how it looks before and after grinding.
    I'm curious... Why not just wrap it around the top tube, with the point facing backwards? That's how I've always used them.

Sweet Tommassini, BTW.

--Shannon

RoadBikeReview Member

re: improvised pump pegs

I did it that way as my Zefal HPx's are too long to work w/ the mount on the top tube, also I was able to shape the mount to fit the pump head almost perfectly so it is very secure....and thanks, the Tommasini is indeed a sweet bike, best I've ever owned, bought it largely because of the many positive comments here.

I'm curious... Why not just wrap it around the top tube, with the point facing backwards? That's how I've always used them.

Sweet Tommassini, BTW.

--Shannon

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004

Campy Umbrella clip

Quote Originally Posted by DougSloan
    https://secure.netonline.nl/ssl/rena...s/default2.asp

https://secure.netonline.nl/ssl/rena...gnolo.asp?t=40

MIS004CLIP - CAMPY pump peg. NOS $ 28.-

https://secure.netonline.nl/ssl/rena...opean.asp?t=40

CEMIS005aPUMP UMBRELLA CLIP - CAMPAGNOLO - umbrella clip $ 7.-

CEMIS005A1PUMP PEG- CAMPAGNOLO pump peg. NOS $ 25.-
    That Campy Umrella clip for $7 just might work. If I set it in the right positon I could probably get enough spring tension to do away with the velcro strap. I don't know if if would have a problem fitting to the hexagon shape of my MXL TT. But that site is sure neat! The ziploc seems to be working o.k now, just sort of funky looking. All this talk about pumps and inflation devices, I've had two flats the past week...
    Dino

Aug 2004
    A little late getting in on this thread, but here's an article from RoadBikeRider.com about mounting a frame pump in a different manner:

From RBR Newsletter No. 151

In the interest of saving weight and having a sleek pro look, many riders carry a minipump or CO2 cartridge instead of a full-length frame-mount pump.

That's fine -- until you actually need to inflate a tire. Minipumps can require 200-400 strokes to achieve 90 psi. And 1 CO2 cartridge + 2 flats = hitchhiking.

So a frame pump is the inflation answer. But it looks very uncool tucked under the top tube, and you're bound to accidentally knock it off a few times, too.

The solution is to put the pump in front of the frame's left seatstay. One end goes in the junction of the seatstay and chainstay at the rear dropout. The other wedges into the seat cluster.

Mounted this way, the pump almost disappears. If it fits snugly, it won't dislodge. At least our pumps never have, and we've been carrying them like this for many years. If you like extra security, put a hook-and-loop strap around the middle of the pump and stay.

(The pump pictured is a Blackburn FP-1.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jul 2004

Another option

I have a Topeak Road Master Blaster mounted along my left seat stay. I have the velcro strap on it for now, but I think that is more paranoia than need. Works like a charm, and doesn't impinge on my water bottles like a top tube mount would (compact geometry 52, hobbit like rider ;)

Gordon

Mar 2003
    I know this does not address your specific question but I have a full frame pump (Zephal) that I'm sure I will never use again. Can't say enough good things about the Barbieri CarbOne Mini. Weighs 59grams, pumps like a charm, it really is no sweat to fully inflate with this baby. And it clips to your water bottle cage. Plus it is silent when you ride. Have not heard a peep from it. My Zephal sings like a Canary with every bump.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rriddle3
    A little late getting in on this thread, but here's an article from RoadBikeRider.com about mounting a frame pump in a different manner:

From RBR Newsletter No. 151

In the interest of saving weight and having a sleek pro look, many riders carry a minipump or CO2 cartridge instead of a full-length frame-mount pump.

That's fine -- until you actually need to inflate a tire. Minipumps can require 200-400 strokes to achieve 90 psi. And 1 CO2 cartridge + 2 flats = hitchhiking.

So a frame pump is the inflation answer. But it looks very uncool tucked under the top tube, and you're bound to accidentally knock it off a few times, too.

The solution is to put the pump in front of the frame's left seatstay. One end goes in the junction of the seatstay and chainstay at the rear dropout. The other wedges into the seat cluster.

Mounted this way, the pump almost disappears. If it fits snugly, it won't dislodge. At least our pumps never have, and we've been carrying them like this for many years. If you like extra security, put a hook-and-loop strap around the middle of the pump and stay.

(The pump pictured is a Blackburn FP-1.)
    Yep, that's what I used to do with my old Silca frame pumps (with Campy steel heads of couse), and the pump internals seemed to rattle less when they were vertical like that.

But I just carry a Silca mini pump now, which can get in plenty of air to get me home or to the nearest shop.