Anti-seize on chainring bolts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Neophyte

Anti-seize on chainring bolts

Browsed through the 2004, 2010, and 2013 threads regarding grease vs Loctite on chainring bolts, but starting new thread to see if opinions have changed...

Swapping some chainrings and planning to use Park anti-seize compound on the chainring bolts. I use it on threaded bottom bracket and pedal parts usually.

Yay or nay?

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nay. I hate anti-seize.

I've only ever used grease on my bikes. I've never removed a a threaded part that didn't still have grease on the threads.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2020
    IMO Loctite Blue 243 is what I use for this application, if you coat the entire thread contact it will provide corrosion protection as well as its primary function. It is not antiseize but at the same time it provides more than enough protection for this application.

Bottom bracket (other than the one side of french threaded) and pedals I use anti-seize.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't use anti-seize anywhere on a bike. Grease on pedal spindles and BB threads and blue Locktight or nothing everywhere else. For the chain ring bolts, blue Locktite.
    Last edited by Srode; 10-20-2020 at 01:07 PM.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    It's not going to matter. Has anyone had either fail?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    I haven't myself, but a friend DNF'd DK200 because his chainring bolts got loose and let the small ring get mangled 2 years ago and another friend had the same failure on a new crank a local shop installed - so yep, it can happen. One could argue they weren't torqued correctly I suppose, but we will never know that answer to that question with certainty.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

Neophyte
    Hmm, given there aren't different types of metal in play, now leaning towards grease.

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    I also hate anti-seize. Grease on pretty much everything. The only exceptions are suspension pivots on some bikes...but even then I've greased them and had no issues. If it has threads, grease it. If it might move and make noise, grease it. If it's carbon, use carbon paste.
    #promechaniclife

Matnlely Dregaend
    I have corrosive sweat. I avoid aluminum parts on my bike because my sweat eats it for breakfast. I use antiseize. Tried Campag grease and even marine grease. I've had the bolts corrode in place so bad they sparked when disassembling.
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't been %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSmile View Post
    I have corrosive sweat. I avoid aluminum parts on my bike because my sweat eats it for breakfast. I use antiseize. Tried Campag grease and even marine grease. I've had the bolts corrode in place so bad they sparked when disassembling.
    I agree, although I don't sweat nearly as much as I did 20+ years ago. Anti-seize never dries out. Granted, if you regularly maintain your bike, grease should suffice in most environments. But when using anti-seize, you have to treat that stuff like it's the plague, because if you get a single speck somewhere unintended, it'll spread like COVID-19.

I also use anti-seize on brake hardware on cars. Dealing with high temps makes it much better for that application.

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    You're not washing your bike well enough/often enough. I'm talking every ride.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    I also hate anti-seize. Grease on pretty much everything. The only exceptions are suspension pivots on some bikes...but even then I've greased them and had no issues. If it has threads, grease it. If it might move and make noise, grease it. If it's carbon, use carbon paste.
    Anti seize is so messy I avoid it. Regular bike maintenance with grease has not failed me over the past 50+ years of riding. But if you want to lube something and then "never" maintain it, anti seize is the way to go.

And for people who have had chain ring bolts come loose, that is a problem with the mechanic, not with whether they use LocTite or not.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    And for people who have had chain ring bolts come loose, that is a problem with the mechanic, not with whether they use LocTite or not.
    I've never used Loctite on chain ring bolts. And never had one come loose (or creak).

In fact that applies to the whole bike. No Loctite... and no loose bolts. It must be the magic grease.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I think anti seize lasts longer than grease, but if you're worrying about a bolt coming loose it doesn't matter if you tighten it correctly. The reason I've used it on pedals and seat posts is to keep them from stuck (seized). The stuff is a mess and tends to get on everything which is why I use grease most of the time

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    I haven't myself, but a friend DNF'd DK200 because his chainring bolts got loose and let the small ring get mangled 2 years ago and another friend had the same failure on a new crank a local shop installed - so yep, it can happen. One could argue they weren't torqued correctly I suppose, but we will never know that answer to that question with certainty.

So which one, anti seize or grease, are you implying might have failed?

RoadBikeReview Member
    So which one, anti seize or grease, are you implying might have failed?
    They didn't locktite the bolts is all I know, could have been dry or lubed. One was a new crank with rings installed by a shop, the other one I don't have much background on other than it didn't have loctite (that was the DK200 DNF) because I talked with him a the 2nd rest stop about the failure and probability of finishing. I use loctite on chain ring bolts, rotor bolts (when I didn't have centerlock) and bottle cages (just my gravel bikes) and saddle mounted bottle carriers. Those are all either areas I consider critical and/or high probability of losening, or I have had problems with them loosening (some would call those criminal fasteners). Granted, the rotors and chain ring bolts shouldn't losen if torqued correctly but I have heard of too many problems with both to risk it.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

Neophyte
    On the rings I just changed, the bolts were so hard to get apart I wonder if the previous owner used epoxy glue or something. Luckily still able to re-use, though. Went with grease this time.

MDM
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2020
    I used Loctite on chainring bolts once and they made them very difficult to remove because the insert that goes into the chainring would spin. Properly tightened, chainring bolts shouldn't come loose.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    On the rings I just changed, the bolts were so hard to get apart I wonder if the previous owner used epoxy glue or something. Luckily still able to re-use, though. Went with grease this time.
    That's precisely why you want to use grease or anti-seize.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    That's precisely why you want to use grease or anti-seize.
    He probably used lockite. IMO, the only reason to use anti-sieze is where you have dissimilar metals or soft metals (non-alloy aluminum) and/or where there is road salt/chemicals that would make the interface between the metals react with each other. ... or where the directions say anti-seize.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Loose chainring bolts is an extremely common problem for cx bikes. Never had much of an issue on my road or MTBs but CX bike always needs attention. In my early days when I was learning about maintenance I've had situations where only 2 bolts were holding the ring on. Now I use blue loctite and check the bolts every few races.

I've had to drill out a chainring bolt once, huge PITA.

Wouldn't recommend grease on any Aluminum bolt.

Other bolts I would recommend blue loctite for are derailleur hanger (seen a couple held on by only the skewer, I've had one bike that was very prone to hanger bolts loosening), and water bottle cages.

Banned Sock Puppet
    For BB threads, I use anti-seize.

For all other threads, I use grease.
    "Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital." - Aaron Levenstein.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member

Yes

Yes, I've had a chain ring bolt loosen up and fall out. Since you only work on these infrequently you should use locktite. Also there's a useful tool to hold the side with slots.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tlaloc View Post
    Yes, I've had a chain ring bolt loosen up and fall out.
    What torque did you use that allowed your bolts to loosen and fall out?

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    What torque did you use that allowed your bolts to loosen and fall out?
    My thought exactly.
    "Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital." - Aaron Levenstein.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast