Anyone Using Ultegra 6700 Levers With KCNC Calipers?
    Lurker Extrordinair

Anyone Using Ultegra 6700 Levers With KCNC Calipers?

Anyone using Dura-Ace 7900 or Ultegra 6700 brake levers with KCNC or other lightweight aftermarket brake calipers? I'm interested in replacing my dual pivot 6700 calipers with some lighter KCNC but am curious if they would work properly. According to Shimano, these levers only work correctly with the Shimano calipers due to cable pull length or something or other. If you have experience with KCNC brakes I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    oops, ignore this while I do a little more research.

Like I said before the edit, it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/fo...hp?f=3&t=55933

this thread describes a new cam for ciamillo brakes (from when 7900 first came out) for better performance, but I don't think it's a life or death measure.

I personally wouldn't worry. Maybe the brakes won't feel their best, but I'm sure they'll stop you just fine.
    Last edited by padawan716; 09-12-2010 at 09:53 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    I rode KCNC brakes for about 2 years. I pulled them off and put some NOS Mavic calipers on and quickly realized that KCNC brakes suck a mile of ditchwater.

Diesel Engine
    Quote Originally Posted by backinthesaddle
    ...KCNC brakes suck a mile of ditchwater.
    Now that's a rousing endorsement if I ever heard one!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm riding KCNC brakes, and as long as you have good pads (Swiss Stop or Cool Stop) they stop the bike fine. My biggest problem is the diameter of the brakes is a little wide and my leg can brush them when I'm pushed back on the saddle (like when climbing.) note: I use a lot of set back.

Sorry I can't address the question directly (I'm running 7800 not 7900). I have a hard time believing that they would not work though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    They work fine. I just set-up somebody on the 7900 with KCNC and they work great.

You must get better pads as the stock ones suck.
    DIRT BOY

"Pain is a big fat creature riding on your back. The farther you pedal, the heavier he feels. The harder you push, the tighter he squeezes your chest. The steeper the climb, the deeper he digs his jagged, sharp claws into your muscles." - Scott Martin

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have some Circus Monkey (cheap KCNC knock-offs) with Swisstop yellows and 7800 brifters. They work fine - haven't had any problems.

Lurker Extrordinair
    Thats kind of what I figured; I ran V brake "only" mtn. bike levers with other brakes that Shimano said would'nt work... it worked. I'm just leary of spending $250. bucks on calipers and finding out that they really, really will not work with my Ultegra brifters.

Los Barriles, BCS, Mexico
    Quote Originally Posted by desertdude70
    Thats kind of what I figured; I ran V brake "only" mtn. bike levers with other brakes that Shimano said would'nt work... it worked. I'm just leary of spending $250. bucks on calipers and finding out that they really, really will not work with my Ultegra brifters.
    6700 components are compatible with anything that 6600/7800 will work with, including brakes. That has been my personal experience, having set up my bike with a 6700 group and changing out brakes and crankset later. It's the 7900 shifters/brakes/derailleurs that are different and should be used with each other.

So, in short, yes the KCNC brakes will work with your 6700 levers. I have no experience with KCNC brakes, just the TRP 960 in use with my 6700 stuff.
    Trying to cram the rest of my life into the rest of my life!