anyone who buys lube is a sucker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    rebounder

after finishing off the remants of my other lubes, i finally made up my first batch of homebrew. i went out to menards last night and picked up some mineral spirits and motor oil, came home and for $8 made a whole gallon of lube. since its been kinda wet and dirty, i mixed it up just shy of 4:1 with 10W-30. cleaned everything, put it on last night and hit the hay. went for a ride this morning and holy crap the drivetrain has never felt better. i love that supple feeling, and it was so nice to get it for so cheap. plus, now i feel like like ive entered a whole new world of bike coolness. moral of the story? homebrew rules!

Censored by *********
    Sucker? I lube my chain as needed which, with PsychoLube, is every 500-1000 miles. It's worth it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by naawillis
    after finishing off the remants of my other lubes, i finally made up my first batch of homebrew. i went out to menards last night and picked up some mineral spirits and motor oil, came home and for $8 made a whole gallon of lube. since its been kinda wet and dirty, i mixed it up just shy of 4:1 with 10W-30. cleaned everything, put it on last night and hit the hay. went for a ride this morning and holy crap the drivetrain has never felt better. i love that supple feeling, and it was so nice to get it for so cheap. plus, now i feel like like ive entered a whole new world of bike coolness. moral of the story? homebrew rules!
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the most responsive to change.

Charles Darwin

Shirtcocker
    I go thrrough maybe one small bottle of Prolink a year. I don't worry about having to spend the $6 on it when it runs out.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

not for all conditions...

I've used homebrew for about 6 years now. It does work well, when applied frequently, but it is a wet lube that attracts dirt. Right now there is a lot of road repair making the roads dirty and left-over sand from the winter on the mountain roads that I ride. My chain gets dirty really fast. At the minimum, I need to wipe the exterior of the chian after every ride, but I prefer to wipe first, then reapply some homebrew, for the best chain life. My current chain has nearly 4000 miles on it, with almost no measureable elongation.

In dirty conditions, it's tempting to try a dry lube, but they are pricey and I'd be upset if I was in the middle of a ride and the chain started squeaking - a common problem, unless the dry lube is applied fairly often. Also, just because a chain isn't squeaking doesn't mean it's well lubed. The ProLink folks tried to convince me not to relube until the chain squeaked.

Jan 2005

Which is better?

WHich is better? Home brew or commerical grade. Anybody know if an independent study
    was ever completed? I am currently mixing up my first batch of brew for a trial run.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2003

And you got the motor oil and mineral spirits, how? It seems you're just talking about buying one brand of lube over another, sucker.

Aug 2001
    A gallon of chain lube! Why would I want to keep a whole gallon of chain lube around? That would just be one more thing for my kids to fight over after I die.

Old, slow, and fat.
    There's frugal and then there's cheap.

Seems to me some of have crossed the line...

M
    I've moved back to NoVA. PLEASE change the weather!

RoadBikeReview Member

Hmmm....

It's all relative. A few bucks (less than the price of even a medium priced chain) for 3 bottles of Pedro's Extra dry that will last me more than a year is hardly a major expense when we're talking in the realm of bike parts/expense. Like how much did you spend for that last chain or cassette? How many chains a year? I'd rather not have to deal with mixing lube, storing a gallon of it around for someone to spill/get into etc..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I'd rather not have to deal with mixing lube, storing a gallon of it around for someone to spill/get into etc..
    yeah, no kidding. how/where do you store it? How do you apply it?
    little bottle of prolink, one a year or so, seems well worth it.

Say "nuke-u-lar"
    A gallon of lube? That'd be about a 10, maybe 15, year supply for me. Don't petroleum products break down faster than that? Only homebrew that interests me would be beer...
    Suum quique.

LOOK lover
    Dang, I am a sucker! Here I went a spent a whole 6 bucks and all I got was this conveniently-sized, easy-to-use bottle of ProLink that lasts a year and sits nicely with all the other stuff I keep in my cargo bin that stays in my car with my bike. For 2 bucks more, I could'a had the privilege of buying a gallon of mineral spirits, a quart of motor oil, finding a container to mix it together (dang, that gallon jar won't hold it all - gotta find another one or store the excess spirits/oil in something until I use up some of the mix, probably will have enough room in the jug in 5 years!), transfer some to a small application bottle that I can keep with the bike (dang, spilled some of it on the garage floor - now I gotta get a bunch of paper towels and clean up this mess! Dang it, Mollie - stay out of that mess until I clean it up! Don't let the dog walk in it - jeez!), and find a place to store the jug of stuff (that will last 30 years!) on my already overcrowded garage shelves along with all the broken brake calipers, front deraillers with frozen limit set screws, and miscellaneous other crap that came off of my bikes over the years but I keep thinking I might be able to use it some day.
    "Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy." -- Howard W. Newton

rebounder

ouch!

my whole body aches from these tongue lashings. i think that was the closest anyone has ever come to accidentally trolling. anyway, to clarify, i didnt mean for my post to have a pejorative tone. i was simply expressing the self satisfaction i got from making the stuff myself. remember the first time you overhauled your own bottom bracket and saved $40? felt pretty good? its the same thing. i'm one step closer to being a self sufficient cyclist (i know i didnt make the mineral spirits or the motor oil... ), which is something i know many of you are interested in. so, i thought id share. thats all.

LOOK lover
    my whole body aches from these tongue lashings...
    But reactionary, over-zealous, ultra-sensitive responses to any message with even a hint of perjorative or dismissive tone are the bread and butter of this site! Bearing the brunt every now and then just makes the chance to diss it out even more enjoyable

Dang, you reminded be that my bottom bracket was making a weird tick yesterday - and I have no idea how to take it apart
    Last edited by BugMan; 06-15-2005 at 01:16 PM.
    "Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy." -- Howard W. Newton

Shirtcocker
    my whole body aches from these tongue lashings. i think that was the closest anyone has ever come to accidentally trolling. anyway, to clarify, i didnt mean for my post to have a pejorative tone. i was simply expressing the self satisfaction i got from making the stuff myself. remember the first time you overhauled your own bottom bracket and saved $40? felt pretty good? its the same thing. i'm one step closer to being a self sufficient cyclist (i know i didnt make the mineral spirits or the motor oil... ), which is something i know many of you are interested in. so, i thought id share. thats all.
    It's all good. As long as it works for you. Personally I don't want to go through the hassle of making my own. Having a gallon of lube for me would be like that episode of Seinfeld where Kramer joins the discount warehouse and ends up with giant cans of Beef a Reeno that he can't get rid of.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

mgp

Feb 2004
    I tried the homebrew about 2 years ago and had poor results. I commute a total of about 30 miles per day in fairly dusty and/or gritty conditions. Chain got dirty fast and always sounded like I was grinding no matter how often I cleaned it. Result--I got <1000 miles out of my chain AND cassette!

Switched to ProLink and will never use anything else. I'm currently at about 4500 miles on my chain, and have been checking it for wear/elongation every two weeks using both the Park gauge and the Rohloff gauge. I still don't see any sign of chain wear. For my riding conditions, ProLink is perfect.

Oh, I tried White Lightning years ago and hated it--terrible buildup and constantly squeeky chain.

Do not touch the trim.
    Sep 2004
    Ya, my $2.00 bottle of tri-flow last about 6 months between 5 bikes. Now you have a GALLON of petroleum based product hanging around your garage for the next 6 years.........who's the sucker?

Palm trees & sunshine!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoke Wrench
    A gallon of chain lube! Why would I want to keep a whole gallon of chain lube around? That would just be one more thing for my kids to fight over after I die.
    No.... just dump the excess oil into the gutter then add the mineral spirits directly to the quart container. Duh!

n00bsauce
    What everyone who's giving you a hard time forgets is that your homebrew is both a lube and cleaner. Frequent application and you'll never have to remove your chain for cleaning, buy and dispose of any cleaning products, store any cleaning products or otherwise go through the hassle of chain cleaning. Now, that's the big benefit of homebrew, IMHO.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

"We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson

LOOK lover
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Erickson
    What everyone who's giving you a hard time forgets is that your homebrew is both a lube and cleaner...
    ProLink does the same thing...

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by BugMan
    ProLink does the same thing...
    yup...all I do is wipe the chain down after a ride and relube once in a while. Chain wears great.

May 2002
    I fail to see what the hassle is. I have a liter of Mobil1 and a liter of mineral spirits already laying around the garage. If I need some lube for my chain I pour a little in an old White lightening drip bottle and I'm good for another 6 months. No need to think ahead or go out in a hurry because I'm almost out of lube.

RoadBikeReview Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus Jones II
    It's all good. As long as it works for you. Personally I don't want to go through the hassle of making my own. Having a gallon of lube for me would be like that episode of Seinfeld where Kramer joins the discount warehouse and ends up with giant cans of Beef a Reeno that he can't get rid of.
    Yea and Kramer ends up feeding some of it to the horse that gets gas as it is pulling the wagon...hehe..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Environmentally idiotic

Quote Originally Posted by KenB
    No.... just dump the excess oil into the gutter then add the mineral spirits directly to the quart container. Duh!
    You're kidding, right? Yeah, let's all get together and dump petroleum products in the gutter so they can go into streams and/or oceans or contaminate groundwater. Duh!

LOOK lover
    Quote Originally Posted by bikejr
    Yea and Kramer ends up feeding some of it to the horse that gets gas as it is pulling the wagon...hehe..
    "That's Beef-A-Reeno..."
    "Eat up. I got thirty four more cans."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast