Arione saddle?

Thread: Arione saddle?

RoadBikeReview Member

Question Arione saddle?

Their ads have touted the lengthened body as a key feature and offering more riding positions, etc. But it seems the lengthened part (dark area in the picture below) can't really be sat on. So the effective area for you to sit on isn't really any different from any other saddle that's 3cm shorter.

Is it just marketing BS? Any thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images

eminence grease
    I figured that out with the one I am trying out right now. If I place my favorite Pave over the top, the nose and wings roughly overlay and the extra length is out in that tip on the backside. However, the wings are a bit wider and flatter and do extend in the backwards direction a hair. When riding, it feels like I can go a wee bit further back and forward. Maybe smoke and mirrors, but it is one comfortable saddle. I like it so much I bought two more.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2003

Fizik saddles

Quote Originally Posted by terry b
    I figured that out with the one I am trying out right now. If I place my favorite Pave over the top, the nose and wings roughly overlay and the extra length is out in that tip on the backside. However, the wings are a bit wider and flatter and do extend in the backwards direction a hair. When riding, it feels like I can go a wee bit further back and forward. Maybe smoke and mirrors, but it is one comfortable saddle. I like it so much I bought two more.

I agree with you. Regardless if its marketing BS or not, the saddle is very nice to ride on. I have both the Alliante and Arione and both are very comfortable.

RoadBikeReview Member

I do not doubt its a comfortable saddle.

since everyone using one seems to be saying that. I am just curious if they had to come up with some phony theory to back up the claim.

Quote Originally Posted by power1369
    I agree with you. Regardless if its marketing BS or not, the saddle is very nice to ride on. I have both the Alliante and Arione and both are very comfortable.

RoadBikeReview Member

The Pave is known to be very narrow

I think that's why they fell out of favor so quickly. 3-4 years ago they were everywhere. Now they are all gone.

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by elviento
    since everyone using one seems to be saying that. I am just curious if they had to come up with some phony theory to back up the claim.

I think I'm the only guy on the planet that didn't like the Arione. The saddle has a raised strip that runs down center. It killed my sensitive areas.....................
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

eminence grease
    Quote Originally Posted by elviento
    I think that's why they fell out of favor so quickly. 3-4 years ago they were everywhere. Now they are all gone.
    Yep - and I'm quickly buying up the remaing NOS saddles on eBay for $20.

One thing about the Pave - there are Paves, and then there are Paves. I have a few that I find as comfortable as the Aliante, and I have a few that kill me. I know they do the "Twin Tech" thing, but mine all seem to be the same, non-Twin Tech model. I suspect some MFGing variability. If that's the case, it's no wonder that they've fallen out of favor. Some percentage of the population found them wonderful, some found them horrible. Bipolar word of mouth reviews are a recipe for a marketing disaster, just as bad as everyone saying they hate them. (possibly even worse)

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Yep - and I'm quickly buying up the remaing NOS saddles on eBay for $20.

One thing about the Pave - there are Paves, and then there are Paves. I have a few that I find as comfortable as the Aliante, and I have a few that kill me. I know they do the "Twin Tech" thing, but mine all seem to be the same, non-Twin Tech model. I suspect some MFGing variability. If that's the case, it's no wonder that they've fallen out of favor. Some percentage of the population found them wonderful, some found them horrible. Bipolar word of mouth reviews are a recipe for a marketing disaster, just as bad as everyone saying they hate them. (possibly even worse)
    Specialized made an S-works saddle in 2002 that is perfect for my butt. I'm like you, every time one comes up on Ebay, I buy it. I started this year trying different saddles because I knew Specialized discontinued it. After many attempts, I'm back with my S-Works. I've bought two spares in the last week. I have 6 of these saddles now. I should be good for a couple of years......
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

May 2002
    That last 3cm is for Simoni's extra long tail bone.

$4000 bike - two bit legs

Hey Dave...

Since you didn't like the Arione, what did you do with it???

I ask because I seem to be burning through Selle Italia Flites like they were made of tissue paper. I'm on my third one in the last year. I seem to rub the leather off of the hard underside only to then watch the leather slowly peel away. I scout EBAY constantly for good deals. If you still have the Arione, I might be interested..... ITs' gotta be more durable.

P.S. I'm going up to Miami twice this summer. First is for reunion weekend - my wife wants to go and reminice (no matter how I tried to spell that, it just doesn't look right!). Second trip will be an overnight. I was drafted onto my office's MS150 team with Miami Univ. being the overnight spot. I'll hoist a beer in your memory!
    Paul in Northern Kentucky

Across the mighty Ohio from Cincinnati:
    The Obesity Capital of the USA
    (Explains a lot of the intolerance about us riders, huh?)

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulCL
    Since you didn't like the Arione, what did you do with it???

I ask because I seem to be burning through Selle Italia Flites like they were made of tissue paper. I'm on my third one in the last year. I seem to rub the leather off of the hard underside only to then watch the leather slowly peel away. I scout EBAY constantly for good deals. If you still have the Arione, I might be interested..... ITs' gotta be more durable.

P.S. I'm going up to Miami twice this summer. First is for reunion weekend - my wife wants to go and reminice (no matter how I tried to spell that, it just doesn't look right!). Second trip will be an overnight. I was drafted onto my office's MS150 team with Miami Univ. being the overnight spot. I'll hoist a beer in your memory!
    I don't have Arione anymore but I have barely used Aspide aerohead and an SLK gel Transam. Let me know if your interested.

Please have a beer for me. I doubt Al and Larry's is there anymore. When I went to Miami, all anyone served was 3.2% beer. It tells you how old I am ;)
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hickey
    I think I'm the only guy on the planet that didn't like the Arione. The saddle has a raised strip that runs down center. It killed my sensitive areas.....................
    I'm the other guy who doesn't like the Arione. I tried to like it. I really wanted to like it but it just didn't suit my butt. Back to the old SI turbomatic 4 - ahhhh...like sitting on a naked Guess Jeans model.

Apr 2004
    The Arione has a long, but narrow sweet spot. If you have a wide hip bone, it probably will be too narrow for you. On the other hand, if you're a fan of narow saddles like the Flite and its clones, I think the Arione is worth trying.