Avocet o2 Air Saddle Substitute
    RoadBikeReview Member

I've finally worn out my old Avocet o2 Air saddle and need to replace it. I prefer the wider "Mens" version. The only problem is that Avocet doesn't make them anymore, and I don't want to pay the going price of $75+ for a beat up, used version on ebay. Has anyone found a good, modern substitution for this classic saddle?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    I still have an O2 Air Men's racing on one bike and love it.

I just started trying a Specialized Romin Expert (143mm) on my other bike and - for me - it may be as good as, if not better than, the O2. In fact, I am thinking about replacing the O2 with one.

I don't have enough miles to be certain but so far, the Romin is the first saddle I have tried that I liked as well as, if not better than, the O2.

Saddles that have not been as good as the O2 (for me) - Selle San Marco Rolls, Selle Italia Turbo, Selle Italia Gel Flow Flite, Selle San Marco Aspide.

Ironbutt
    Nov 2001

There is no substitute. Believe me, I have looked, checked, and tried about everything I could think of to replace my Avocet O2 Air, and nothing comes close. Well, maybe my Brooks B17, but close is no cigar. I believe that Innergel recovers saddles; you may want to send him a PM and see if he would take on the project of recovering your old Avocet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by five3x11
    I've finally worn out my old Avocet o2 Air saddle and need to replace it. I prefer the wider "Mens" version. The only problem is that Avocet doesn't make them anymore, and I don't want to pay the going price of $75+ for a beat up, used version on ebay. Has anyone found a good, modern substitution for this classic saddle?
    I used Avocet O2 saddles for years and years until the supply ran out. One that works for me now is the WTB Silverado.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The closest I've found is Selle Italia Regal, it's still not the same. I think I may check out Innergel at http://www.recoveredsaddle.com

kmc
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002

arione

I used an 02 saddle for years, switched to an arione and have been very happy.

PaMTBRider
    +1 on the Romin saddle. I still have one bike with an Avocet O2 air on it but I am beginning to replace them as they wear out with the Romin. I tried dozens of saddles searching for a replacement for the Avocet. The Romin is the first that is actually better for me than the Avocet.

Proud luddite
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironbutt
    There is no substitute. Believe me, I have looked, checked, and tried about everything I could think of to replace my Avocet O2 Air, and nothing comes close. Well, maybe my Brooks B17, but close is no cigar. I believe that Innergel recovers saddles; you may want to send him a PM and see if he would take on the project of recovering your old Avocet.
    I've seen photos of Innergel's work and it looks top-notch. I had an old Avocet O2Air saddle that was pretty torn up and had it recovered by someone else before I learned about Innergel's work. I was quite happy with the end product and here's a photo of it. The guy who did it for me moved out of state so that contact has dried up, but I second the Innergel recommendation.