Bar tape recommendations
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002

Bar tape recommendations

I've heard ESI silicone bar tape is good. Not sure I like bar tape with a sticky tape on the back because the bar tape can tear if you need to rewrap. Cork tape (e.g. Cinelli) can tear so I don't really like that either. No cloth tape either because no shock absorption. What tape do you use?

Rub it............
    I use Lizard Skins. Love the feel and it comes in 2 different thicknesses. It does wear a little quickly compared to other bar tape, but since I change it every year, the wear doesn't matter.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    For years and years, it was only Cinelli cork tape for me. Lately, I've been using Fizik tape that's really comfy. Go to a LBS and see if they have some you can touch.

https://www.fizik.com/us_en/men/acce.../bar-tape.html

As far as re-wrapping it, why on earth is that an issue? Bar tape should be replaced from time to time. And it should be black.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Fizik Microtex...I like the 2mm stuff. they have other thicknesses and a 'tacky' version.

altho if comes with adhesive strip on the backside, it's relatively easy to remove and re-wrap if you want to do that.

wears like iron and cleans up nicely with just a damp rag.

just bought some on fleabay for under $20.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm quickly becoming a fan of Guee. I've used Specialized HD Wrap for a long time, I think the Guee might be that much more supple.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Fizik Microtex all the way. I'm not a fan of spongy and tacky bar tapes. Fizik lasts forever. Stays clean. Looks classic.
    If you want to replace your cables, and the tape is still in good shape, it's pretty easy to unwrap it to your hoods then wrap it back up again.

Only "down side" is it can be tricky to wrap when new. It's not stretchy so you have to really keep it tight while wrapping.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    I bought Fizik Microtek for my bike, at the recommendation of many on this forum, and had a tough time getting used to it. It's quite thin for my tastes. I prefer something thicker, like Bontrager's gel cork.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post
    I prefer something thicker, like Bontrager's gel cork.
    Yep, that's my favorite too - lasts a long time and very comfy.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

a real member's member
    last five builds (since november) either got fizik soft touch (grey and black) or cotton newbaums (tan and grey) ... all from ebay. my next one, an orange frame, is getting dark blue cotton.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Pack Fodder.
    On the cork side, I prefer SRAM and Bontrager because they stretch well (compared to Cinelli cork). SRAM gets the nod, because it's cheap ($10.99 @ Tree Fort Bikes). Both do leave residue, but I like the way they feel.

For my travel bike, I'm going with Arundel Rubber Gecko Handlebar Tape ($19.32 @ Bike Tires Direct). My hope is that it will be a little more durable in transit than cork, while still feeling decent. Apparently, it leaves no residue. We'll see. Not really a super-expensive experiment, when you consider the price of some bar tapes.

What the what???
    For cork, Ive always had good luck with Profile Design. Good feel, inexpensive, and stretches well.

For the non-cork I like the fizik as well. Tougher to install (I usually end up doing it more than once to get it to lay flat) but it has a great feel and is durable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    If the OP doesn't want cloth tape because of it's lack of padding he'd freak out to Benotto tape.

I always liked it but have become a huge Fizik fan.
    Too old to ride plastic

Neophyte
    I'm a fan of Shimano PRO bar tape. I know they have a few varieties and tbh I've used a couple different ones and no idea what I have now... but have always been satisfied.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    If the OP doesn't want cloth tape because of it's lack of padding he'd freak out to Benotto tape.

I always liked it but have become a huge Fizik fan.
    Back in the day, "everybody" used Benotto tape. It was pretty, but also pretty crappy. I cannot imagine going back to it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    never used Benotto, based on its looks, doubt I'd have liked it.

when I was first getting into riding, black cotton tape (Tressostar?) was de rigueur.

didn't last long tho...edges frayed almost immediately.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    never used Benotto, based on its looks, doubt I'd have liked it.

when I was first getting into riding, black cotton tape (Tressostar?) was de rigueur.

didn't last long tho...edges frayed almost immediately.
    Varnish.
    Too old to ride plastic

Slowski
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Back in the day, "everybody" used Benotto tape. It was pretty, but also pretty crappy. I cannot imagine going back to it.
    It looks like a cross between a fruit rollup and the material woven into cheap lawn chairs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Used in the past

Profile Design , Nashbar, Cinelli cork and gel -just OK, nothing special

Fizik Microtex -too thin and not stretchy enough, although looks good when new.

Bontrager Gel cork feels nice when new, very stretchy, good price, but tears and wears quick and does not clean out well if not black.

Lizard Skins - nice but too expensive.

So far the best tape for me is Zipp Service Course CX. Soft, stretchy, perfect grip , nice to the touch, also much cheaper that competition
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Slowski
    I seem to be wearing out my Lizard Skin bar tape pretty quickly ~1,000 miles. Good feel though, both with and without gloves. SRAM lasted well, but a cable swap caused a premature re-taping and I didn't try to salvage the tape.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eboos View Post
    I seem to be wearing out my Lizard Skin bar tape pretty quickly ~1,000 miles. Good feel though, both with and without gloves. SRAM lasted well, but a cable swap caused a premature re-taping and I didn't try to salvage the tape.
    1K miles...? eff that.

I had some Fizik stuff last 18K miles...only changed it out because it was white and looked a bit dingy. no real 'wear' issues...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    White Fizik 2 mm microtex. I have to change it every 3-6 months because of the humidity here. Anything else only lasts a month. I still have some Benotto tape that I wrapped on the bars to my seldom used TT bike.

Curmudgeon
    My new favorite bar wrap has a gel backing instead of glue. It stretches well and grips like crazy. Have it on a couple road bikes and now on my gravel grinder too. It's extra long (2.4 meters) so you can make lots of overlap wraps to build up a nice cushion if you want to. It stretches enough without snapping, easy to make a nice figure-eight wrap around the shifter clamps.

I just spent about an hour working with the ultra stinky 3M adhesive remover cleaning the residual glue off my Easton EC70AX bars that was left behind after removing my old Deda bar tape. Never again will I use bar tape that has adhesive.

Available from Amazon and eBay. Many nice colors and reasonably priced too.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MZ1PGID...ing=UTF8&psc=1

The bar wrap material is top notch but the included end plugs and finishing tape are crap. I prefer aluminum end plugs having an internal expanding collet. And 3M electrical tape for finishing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    To keep adhesive residue off the bars tape the handlebars with electrical tape before wrapping the bar tape. Then instead of scrubbing the bars all that's needed is to peel the electrical tape off which comes off clean. OCD approved.

But truth be told, once the bars are rewrapped the residue is "out of sight, out of mind".
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    To keep adhesive residue off the bars tape the handlebars with electrical tape before wrapping the bar tape. Then instead of scrubbing the bars all that's needed is to peel the electrical tape off which comes off clean. OCD approved.

But truth be told, once the bars are rewrapped the residue is "out of sight, out of mind".
    Electrical tape leaves residue as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast