Bar taping
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Bar taping

  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    863

    Bar taping

    What's the best way to start wrapping bar tape at the end of the bars when you have barend shifters and can't stuff the bar tape inside the handlebar end to keep it from unraveling?

    I'd like to stuff the tape in the end of the bar, but there's just no room. If I cut the tape at an angle, it seems it's not that secure and may unravel over time. If I don't cut at an angle, it leaves a lump (which isn't that noticeable if it's on the bottom).

  2. #2
    ngl
    ngl is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    701
    Quote Originally Posted by mfdemicco View Post
    What's the best way to start wrapping bar tape at the end of the bars when you have barend shifters and can't stuff the bar tape inside the handlebar end to keep it from unraveling?

    I'd like to stuff the tape in the end of the bar, but there's just no room. If I cut the tape at an angle, it seems it's not that secure and may unravel over time. If I don't cut at an angle, it leaves a lump (which isn't that noticeable if it's on the bottom).
    I've had no trouble with this method with barends located on aero bars or drop bars.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEW7rRFdgzk

  3. #3
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    14,383
    I do it just like that Art's video, I just cut the angle a little longer. Put the finished (NOT the cut end) against the bar end shifter just like he did. Only way to do it.

    I NEVER stuff the tape inside the bar. It looks like **** and the plug tends to come out more often.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    863
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    I do it just like that Art's video, I just cut the angle a little longer. Put the finished (NOT the cut end) against the bar end shifter just like he did. Only way to do it.

    I NEVER stuff the tape inside the bar. It looks like **** and the plug tends to come out more often.
    Thanks. My mistake was that I made the angled cut on the side facing the bar end shifter.

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    863
    Related question: Do those Bontrager Buzz-kills work or are they just hype?

  6. #6
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    14,383
    Quote Originally Posted by mfdemicco View Post
    Related question: Do those Bontrager Buzz-kills work or are they just hype?
    They don't make 'em anymore but I can't see how they wouldn't work. You're putting the same thing in the bar end that Mathews (still) uses in their compound bows. It must cancel out some vibrations, not sure why they don't make them anymore.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    863
    CX, do you have any tips for cutting the end of the tape near the stem so it's straight? I always have trouble with this.

  8. #8
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    14,383
    Quote Originally Posted by mfdemicco View Post
    CX, do you have any tips for cutting the end of the tape near the stem so it's straight? I always have trouble with this.
    Pull the tape at the same angle as when you're wrapping normally. Figure out where you'd like the tape to stop. I'll put the tip of my scissor on that spot and pull it back down the tape (which is at an angle) w/ the scissor parallel to the stem. Ideally the length of the cut should be roughly the circumference of the bar. I just strive to pull the tape at the same angle and cut parallel to the stem.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    I do it just like that Art's video, I just cut the angle a little longer. Put the finished (NOT the cut end) against the bar end shifter just like he did. Only way to do it.

    I NEVER stuff the tape inside the bar. It looks like **** and the plug tends to come out more often.
    This is how you do it without bar-end shifters as well? I just replaced my wrap a couple of weeks ago after it started to let loose in a heavy rainstorm and was cursing trying to get those plugs in. I'm going to try this next time I wrap. Thanks for the video and tip.

Similar Threads

  1. My Beater Bike with my bar taping debut.
    By Lazyrider in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 04-17-2010, 04:55 AM
  2. taping wing bar
    By golfernut78 in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-24-2010, 07:04 PM
  3. taping bars
    By naawillis in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-25-2005, 12:04 PM
  4. Stella Azzurra Tirreno Bars - Taping Suggestions ...
    By mpj in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-21-2004, 05:32 AM
  5. Handlebar taping "how to?"
    By spookyload in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-18-2004, 04:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.