battery charging for NiteRider headlights?
    wgp
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005

battery charging for NiteRider headlights?

Anyone know if the battery for the NiteRider Mi-Newt.X2 need to be nearly spent before recharging? I've heard that charging certain types of batteries when there is still a significant charge left on them will shorten their life considerably, but I don't know whether that's actually true. I'd originally heard this relative to cell phone batteries, but wondered whether this was applicable for this battery as well?

Thanks in advance!

Rollin' Stones
    I believe that system has a "smart charger" that should regulate the battery charge. You might want to ask customer service at Niterider that question directly, then let us know the correct answer.
    I want rustlers, cutthroats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con-men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull-dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, sh**-kickers, and Methodists!

RoadBikeReview Member
    That advice applies to nickle-cadmium (NiCad) batterys, which used to be the only rechargeables out there. They are rapidly becoming obsolete, being replaced by nickle metal hydride (NiMh) and lithium ion, neither of which are susceptible to this so-called "memory effect." The Niterider has a lithium ion battery, which will not be harmed by frequent recharging, even if only partially discharged. So no worries.

Cell phones almost all have lithium ion batteries now, so no worries there, either.

If you buy additional lights (blinkies, etc.), or any other devices for that matter, that take standard battery sizes (AA, AAA), I advise you to buy some NiMh cells and a smart charger. It's way more economical (and environmentally sounder, too) than throw-away batteries, and you can always have fully-charged batteries in the unit. A lot of people don't realize that LED's get much dimmer when the batteries are only half gone. If you use disposables the economics create an incentive to use them too long.

wgp
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks JCavilia! Very informative and a speedy response. Cydswipe, I will let you know if I talk to CS - I already downloaded the owners manual, and it said nothing about this issue - hence my question here.

I'm so psyched to get these lights and be able to see. It will extend my commute into late Nov here in metro DC, although it means riding in and home in the dark.

Most of my ride is on a bike trail, so I have little car traffic to worry about, but runners attired in dark clothing on the bike trail are ever-present! I'm counting on the dual light set-up to truly light the way!

Rollin' Stones
    Quote Originally Posted by wgp
    Thanks JCavilia! Very informative and a speedy response. Cydswipe, I will let you know if I talk to CS - I already downloaded the owners manual, and it said nothing about this issue - hence my question here.

I'm so psyched to get these lights and be able to see. It will extend my commute into late Nov here in metro DC, although it means riding in and home in the dark.

Most of my ride is on a bike trail, so I have little car traffic to worry about, but runners attired in dark clothing on the bike trail are ever-present! I'm counting on the dual light set-up to truly light the way!
    I'm waiting on the MiNewt Dual from Performance. I'm psyched to get high lumens compared to the lousy, low powered lights I've had in the past.
    I want rustlers, cutthroats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con-men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull-dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, sh**-kickers, and Methodists!

Oh hai there
    I just used my NR Sol light, OMG it totally kicks ass over the last AA powered light.

Oct 2006

more than you wanted to know about recharging at www.batteryuniversity.com

Quote Originally Posted by wgp
    ... I've heard that charging certain types of batteries when there is still a significant charge left on them will shorten their life considerably...
    There's an amazing rechargable battery tutorial at www.batteryuniversity.com that describes the do's and don'ts for several battery types: SLA, NiCd, MiMh, Li-ion, LiPO.

Gives specific advice on charging and exercising for long life.

Gives safety warnings--I didn't know that charging lithium batteries below freezing could create dangerous lithium plating.

wgp
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    All Downhill from Here -

Awesome link - thanks! Most informative - I'll bookmark it.

CydSwipe - I purchased the Dual also while Performance was having their sale - hasn't arrived still, but I'm hoping today. Figure 2X will certainly light the way!