bb/crankset compatibility
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2014

bb/crankset compatibility

i am in market for a new ride and i am planing to throw on some components from my current bike, mainly crankset. the crankset in question is force 22 gxp. i am however seeing all new bikes with bb specified as press fit. in mountain bikes this is a big no for me but in road bikes it seems standard these days? so i assume my cranks will not be compatible, and if so, is there any way to go around so i can still use them? my budget pretty much will get me shimano 105 groupset on the bike and i want to at least put my sram cranks and cassette on it.
    thanks

'brifter' is a lame word.
    There are ways to do it but I'm at a loss for why you'd want to go to the trouble to replace 105 w/ SRAM Force. There are most definitely SRAM PF GXP bottom brackets available everywhere if you insist on using your Force crank.

This is coming from a guy that runs SRAM on every bike I own.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    There are ways to do it but I'm at a loss for why you'd want to go to the trouble to replace 105 w/ SRAM Force. There are most definitely SRAM PF GXP bottom brackets available everywhere if you insist on using your Force crank.

This is coming from a guy that runs SRAM on every bike I own.
    I thoight force crankset, since carbon, would save some weight over 105. I assume they would be compatible with rest of 105 drivetrain.
    So you saying they would be compatible if i get gxp press fit bb? I thought press fit bbs dont stick past bb shell, while my current bb that screws in has outboard cups that does stick out past bb shell.
    Thanks

What frame? Which bottom bracket? Give us some details. It's all based on which bottom bracket shell your frame has. Some are narrower and there are cups that hold the bearings outside the frame, some are wider and the bearings are inside the frame.

Banned Sock Puppet
    CX, so I don't trigger your wrath, do you consider Force equivalent to 105 or Ultegra? And where does Rival fit in on the spectrum?

Given the choice, I personally would opt for a bike with a threaded BB over a press fit BB regardless of which of any of these 4 cranks mentioned. I believe there still are a few newer road bikes with threaded BB's, but they are rare.

And yes, I agree with CX that we need more details.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

I've kinda always gone w/ Red=D/A, Force=Ultegra, Rival=105 but the difference is so small and the rest of the bike is Shimano, soooooo...

Totally agree w/ the preference to go threaded. I'm glad Trek is switching to T47.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2014
    What frame? Which bottom bracket? Give us some details. It's all based on which bottom bracket shell your frame has. Some are narrower and there are cups that hold the bearings outside the frame, some are wider and the bearings are inside the frame.
    the new bike in question is canyon endurace, comes with shimano pressfit bb72 and 105 cranks. the canks i want to use are force 22 gxp, and are currently installed on bike with threaded sram gxp bb that has outboard cups. i am guessing i will need bb like this one
    https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-bracket...ram-black.html
    that is press fit but has outboard cups, but i have no idea if it will fit since this
    is pf30 and the one installed is bb72, not sure what the difference is.
    thanks

Banned Sock Puppet
    I've kinda always gone w/ Red=D/A, Force=Ultegra, Rival=105 but the difference is so small and the rest of the bike is Shimano, soooooo...
    Yep, I can't tell the difference between my 5800 and 6800 group set as far as shift quality. They both shift perfectly. I don't know that I would be able to tell a difference between Rival and Force either.

Totally agree w/ the preference to go threaded. I'm glad Trek is switching to T47.
    Well this is good news. Right now, most of the road bikes with a threaded BB are steel. That itself isn't a bad thing, but if you're looking for a carbon bike, there aren't a lot of choices that aren't press fit.

So far, my Cannondale Synapse Carbon has 10K+ miles and not a peep out of the BB30, all is well! I've heard some creaking horror stories. I guess I've been lucky.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein