BB question

Thread: BB question

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004

BB question

I'm considering upgrading the drivetrain on my '04 LeMond Zurich. Currently has a Shimano Ultrega 9 speep triple chain ring, 12-27 rear. The specs sheet for this bike state the BB is '68 x 118 (shell x axle, mm), Shimano splined axle". Exactly what do these number refer to? Trying to figure out if there is a BB that will fit that will be compatible with the 11 speed Shimano Ultrega manual group. Talked to the LBS and one guy said, "yeah, no problem at all". Another guy said "figure on lots of unexpected costs because things are not likely to fit". Currently confused. Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    68mm is the width of the BB shell, 118mm is the length of the spindle, pretty standard stuff. You should not have any problem upgrading.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Forgot to mention that you will likely need new wheels as the 9 speed hub is not compatible with 11 speed.

Anytime doing a major upgrade like this and depending on how well the the bike is maintained, you should expect some unexpected findings.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    Yep, already figuring that new wheels will be in order. If not because of the new 11 speed cassettes but because the Bontrager Race X Lite wheels are starting to show cracks at the spoke nipples. Obviously, given it is a '04 frame, all cabers are externally routed. Otherwise the frame is in 9+ shape.

Banned forever.....or not
    If you had Mavic wheels on your bike, they would be compatible with 11 speed....Very few people sell triples anymore. Compact doubles go down to a 34 tooth small ring.
    If you aren't fussy about having everything match, you could just buy a rear wheel. Front wheels seem to last forever.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by ivanthetrble View Post
    I'm considering upgrading the drivetrain on my '04 LeMond Zurich. Currently has a Shimano Ultrega 9 speep triple chain ring, 12-27 rear. The specs sheet for this bike state the BB is '68 x 118 (shell x axle, mm), Shimano splined axle". Exactly what do these number refer to? Trying to figure out if there is a BB that will fit that will be compatible with the 11 speed Shimano Ultrega manual group. Talked to the LBS and one guy said, "yeah, no problem at all". Another guy said "figure on lots of unexpected costs because things are not likely to fit". Currently confused. Thanks!
    First guy was right. Second guy is clueless. It's not hard at all, as long as you have the all important 'clue'. As the others have posted the 68mm is the width of the bottom bracket shell (frame), and the 118mm is the triple axle. If it was a double it would be...110-111mm...I can't remember. You will need a new rr wheel or freehub(depending on the wheel), unless you have a Mavic wheel.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    The obvious question you have to answer is whether, when you total up all the costs for your proposed upgrades whether you would be ahead to sell your bike and buy a recent model used bike with all of the features you want. Investing a lot of $$ in a 16+ year old bike often is not a winning proposition. Just saying.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    I am looking to get a new bike in the not too distant future. Right now I can't find the bike I want anywhere due to the Covid inspired run on bikes. The $$ are not a huge issue at this point and the rear rim has a crack in it so it will need a new set of wheels anyway. I'll upgrade they LeMond now and then maybe be looking for a '21 model (Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert Di2) when the new models come out later this year. I have been all over the web looking for a 58cm Tarmac but either the only color it is available in is the hideous camelion color (barf!) or the bike is located on the east coast and they don't ship.

Banned Sock Puppet
    I am looking to get a new bike in the not too distant future. Right now I can't find the bike I want anywhere due to the Covid inspired run on bikes. The $$ are not a huge issue at this point and the rear rim has a crack in it so it will need a new set of wheels anyway. I'll upgrade they LeMond now and then maybe be looking for a '21 model (Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert Di2) when the new models come out later this year. I have been all over the web looking for a 58cm Tarmac but either the only color it is available in is the hideous camelion color (barf!) or the bike is located on the east coast and they don't ship.
    You only need a rear wheel if you are planning on changing horses soon anyway. Any entry level budget wheel will be better than those Bontrager Race X Lites which were so prone to spoke hole cracking. Mine was trash at 4K miles.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    It means your frame has a bb that is left over from a time when they used to always work perfect and the only confusion was English or Italian threads.

As said you'll have no problem. I'm not positive that would be the case with all cranks but Ultegra or other shimano definitely isn't one to be worried about.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    All parts are assembled and looking like no compatibility issues. Bye bye 52/42/30 triple chain rings, hello 50/34 compact double with 11 speed 11-28 cassettes. Looking at the gearing, I will have a bit bigger gear on the high end (old was 116.94", new will be 120.38") and maybe lose one step on the low end (old was 29.37", new will be 32.01"). If I swapped out the 11-28 for an 11-30 the new low gear would be 29.90". Rarely ever used the 29.37" gear in the past 16 years anyway. New wheels should be a bit lighter and hopefully much more durable than the Bontrager Race X Lites. Learning from many people that they didn't tend to last all that long and the cracks at the spoke nipples was an issue for just about everyone. Excited to see how the changes impact a favorite older ride. And from an aesthetics standpoint, should look really good! Just about everything will be black, save for the metal flake blue paint/carbon of the frame and a few silver-ish frame accent stripes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Congrats, now let's see this ride!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    LeMond.jpg

Well, the conversion is all done. Only things that carried over are the seat and bars. The Selle San Marco Rolls seat is the only saddle I have used for, well, forever. I still have two brand new ones in the box when these wear out. Shimano Ultrega compact double with 11 speed (11-28) cassettes. Wheels are Bontrager Paradigm Elite with Continental GP 5000 tires. Went up a size on the tires to 25s and the ride is noticeably better. May be room for 28s but the clearance at the seat tube is a bit tight. Shifting is smooth and the gear range is pretty much the same as when it was a 52/42/30 triple. Probably shed a little weight overall with slightly lighter wheels and group. Was it worth upgrading an older bike? In this case I would have to say definitely yes! Shifting is crisper and gone is the triple chain ring that I was never a huge fan of. I think it looks great as well. Pretty much all black and blue.
    Last edited by ivanthetrble; 3 Days Ago at 07:42 AM.

Matnlely Dregaend
    I love the frame, but those bars are just weird. With that tall of a head tube can you actually ride that low in the drops? You may want to consider upgrading to a compact bar, the Alu versions are pretty cheap.

Besides that you should be able to ride that beauty for another 20 years.
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't been %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    Yeah, that may be changed soon. I usually ride the hoods so that isn't a big issue. When I tried out new bikes that was a big difference, the much shallower drops. That would be an easy change but I will ride it a while first.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Very nice looking ride! Congrats on a successful upgrade. Should be good for many more miles.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    As I first was reading this, I was thinking ditch the bike and get something new. Now that I see the pic, I am on-board. Beautiful bike!! Nice work!

Jim D