BB30 - how much space/play should there be with the wave washer?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2014

BB30 - how much space/play should there be with the wave washer?

Question - how much space should be left for the wave washer when installing a BB30 crank? On my wife's new to her bike I had to remove a 2.5mm spacer when s to allow for proper tightening of the crank to torque spec. The crank was put on by the original owner who swapped out his quarq power meter since my wife didn't want it.

Currently there is about 1-2 mm of space fully taken up by the wave washer. There is a slight side to side movement as the wave washer compresses. There is no off axis movement and the bearings were smooth running and tight in the frame when I checked them before re-installing the crank. So how much if any movement is is appropriate? FWIW, Sram's tech documentation doesn't shed any light on it.... I'm wondering whether or not if I need a few thinner shims (.5 and 1mm). I don't know if this is normal or not as I haven't worked with BB30's before.

Some background... My wife purchased her Cannondale Synapse with Sram Red Etap 11spd late last year and the crank is a Red Carbon with integrated spider. As I already mentioned the original owner swapped cranks for the purchase at the time there was some difficulty with the crank swap but it worked. Fast forward to last night... there was some rubbing of the chain in the front derailleur about halfway through our ride. When we got back I found the cranks very loose. Upon attempting to tighten the crank (Sram Red 11spd) back it would start binding the bearings at a very low torque - probably around 10Nm or so (I was just using a 8mm wrench to get by until I the Park TW-6/2 comes in). Once I removed the 2.5mm spacer I was able to fully tighten. This leads me to believe the spacer was too large and the crank wasn't tightened enough allowing it to loosen.

Here's a pic of the wave washer and the spacing that was left:

Attached Images Attached Images

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Well...less than the 2.5mm spacer and more than the wave washer. If you have some of those clear or grey plastic BB30 spacers that SRAM does put a few of those in and see. They're .5mm if I remember correctly. They used to always supply 4-5 w/ their BB30 bottom brackets. Any local shop should have a few floating around.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2014
    Thanks for the feedback. I thought the same about the local shops but I've called around and no local shops (except one that I'm waiting on a call back) have any. I'm looking at ordering the Sram spacer kit (11.6118.054.000).

How risky is it to ride tomorrow if I can't get any spacers or will she have to ride her old bike?

Once I get the spacers should I aim for no side to side movement with no binding? or is some side to side ok?
    Last edited by tinball; 1 Week Ago at 01:09 PM.

No movement, no binding. One or 2 rides won't kill it.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    I had BB30 sisl2 crankset with 2 0.5mm shims installed between wavewasher and crank arm. Recently I have replaced my crankset spindle and BB30 bearings and when I installed new parts there was not enough compression with 2 .5mm shims as before. I also noticed side to side play while pressing by hand. I simply added one more .5mm shim (3 in total) to get more compression and remove the play.

I wonder if I could get somewhere 1mm shims instead of .5mm for BB30? Anyone know the source?

Quote Originally Posted by nonamed View Post
    I had BB30 sisl2 crankset with 2 0.5mm shims installed between wavewasher and crank arm. Recently I have replaced my crankset spindle and BB30 bearings and when I installed new parts there was not enough compression with 2 .5mm shims as before. I also noticed side to side play while pressing by hand. I simply added one more .5mm shim (3 in total) to get more compression and remove the play.

I wonder if I could get somewhere 1mm shims instead of .5mm for BB30? Anyone know the source?
    Maybe Wheels Mfg. or Problem Solvers? I'll bet they have some.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2014
    I ordered the Sram BB30 spacer kit which is supposed to have multiple sizes of spacers form a LBS. I was able to find may places listing them for sale. Here is Worldwide Cyclery: https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/pro...-kit-for-bb386

Model : 11.6118.054.000
    UPC : 710845797910

An Australian site indicated it contains: 1 x wave washer, 1 x 3mm 1 x 2.5mm 5 x 0.5mm spacers. I hope it's correct. It was the only site that listed the contents. Unfortunately it doesn't list a 1mm shim.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Thanks! Did found that wheelsmfg make different thickness unfortunately I stay in EU and shipping costs from US are like 4x cost of the shims