BB30 vs PressFit30 on a BB30 frame?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    32

    BB30 vs PressFit30 on a BB30 frame?

    I have no idea what all this is and I'm trying to decide what to buy and if there is a difference. I could be completely wrong and they're all the same. I have seen options for the Force crank as BB30 and for Pressfit, which I assume is Pressfit30 that is listed on Sram's website along with BB30. So BB30 normally is a threaded BB and the Pressfit30 is a pressfit cups?

  2. #2
    Cycling induced anoesis
    Reputation: PJ352's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    13,005
    Quote Originally Posted by NumLock
    I have no idea what all this is and I'm trying to decide what to buy and if there is a difference. I could be completely wrong and they're all the same. I have seen options for the Force crank as BB30 and for Pressfit, which I assume is Pressfit30 that is listed on Sram's website along with BB30. So BB30 normally is a threaded BB and the Pressfit30 is a pressfit cups?
    Here's a link to some info on the topic. Scroll to the bottom for an explanation of Press Fit 30.
    http://www.parktool.com/blog/calvins...ottom-brackets

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,492
    BB30 and PF30 are both pressed into an unthreaded BB shell. The shells are different and not interchangeable.

    As of right now I don't think there are any PF30 frames, so you don't really need to worry about PF30.

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    5,034
    Quote Originally Posted by rx-79g
    BB30 and PF30 are both pressed into an unthreaded BB shell. The shells are different and not interchangeable.

    As of right now I don't think there are any PF30 frames, so you don't really need to worry about PF30.
    PF30 is something SRAM is pushing. SRAM is so in bed with Cannondale that they have to make BB30 too. From what I have seen of both designs, the BB30 cranks should work on a PF30 BB. I'm open to correction here as I have just looked at drawings.
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

    They have enough in common to blast down it.

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,492
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg
    PF30 is something SRAM is pushing. SRAM is so in bed with Cannondale that they have to make BB30 too. From what I have seen of both designs, the BB30 cranks should work on a PF30 BB. I'm open to correction here as I have just looked at drawings.
    That's correct - BB30 and PF30 both use the same 30mm (see the 30, there) spindles. But you can't stick a PF30 BB in a BB30 frame, or vice versa. It's not different than having a crank that works with both English and Italian bottom brackets.

    BB30 was developed by Cannondale as an open source standard, kind of like how ISIS spindles were. Lots of frame companies are now using BB30, including Specialized (but they call it something else).

    PF30 was developed to work in carbon fiber BB shells better than BB30, but use the same oversized, lightweight spindled cranks. It's some BB30 size bearing housed in a protective nylon sleave that decreases the amount of force needed to press and hold the BB.

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    504
    Moots is using PF30.

  7. #7
    Steaming piles of opinion
    Reputation: danl1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    10,503
    Quote Originally Posted by poff
    Moots is using PF30.
    So is Lynskey.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,492
    Quote Originally Posted by danl1
    So is Lynskey.
    Interesting. Lynskey dumped all their BB30 for PF30, which might make sense from a machining standpoint, but Paragon isn't charging any less for them.

    This article is pretty interesting:
    http://waltworks.blogspot.com/2010/0...-thoughts.html
    According to him BB30 and PF30 are a net loss.

  9. #9
    Steaming piles of opinion
    Reputation: danl1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    10,503
    Quote Originally Posted by rx-79g
    Interesting. Lynskey dumped all their BB30 for PF30, which might make sense from a machining standpoint, but Paragon isn't charging any less for them.

    This article is pretty interesting:
    http://waltworks.blogspot.com/2010/0...-thoughts.html
    According to him BB30 and PF30 are a net loss.
    I tend to be a late adopter for these sorts of things - I'm still not sold on the need for 11s, and while Di2 was neat, I dis-preferred it functionally for my uses, neverminding the usual arguments against. So I'm not sure if I'm just in retro-grouch mode or not, but BB30 seems a solution in search of a problem - and one that brings on a few problems of it's own. PF30 seems a tiny bit better in some practical ways, from the little that I've read, but I've no complaints with regular externals.

    Either probably makes more sense with plastic bikes, but that's not my market anyway. BTDT, back to what works.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,492
    Quote Originally Posted by danl1
    I tend to be a late adopter for these sorts of things - I'm still not sold on the need for 11s, and while Di2 was neat, I dis-preferred it functionally for my uses, neverminding the usual arguments against. So I'm not sure if I'm just in retro-grouch mode or not, but BB30 seems a solution in search of a problem - and one that brings on a few problems of it's own. PF30 seems a tiny bit better in some practical ways, from the little that I've read, but I've no complaints with regular externals.

    Either probably makes more sense with plastic bikes, but that's not my market anyway. BTDT, back to what works.
    I guess I'm just amazed the an unthreaded shell and a cupless pressed in bearing system for an oversized alumium spindle isn't obviously lighter than an external cup/steel spindle system. Those numbers would have been obvious when they CAD designs were half finished.

    Of course, I have an Octalink BB'd Ritchey crank that together are lighter than a Rival or Ultegra external set up. Maybe the 30 stuff is still in development, or maybe we've hit the point of vanishing returns with oversized stuff. But I'm not going to be feeling poorly about me English BB shells anytime soon.

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    5,034
    Quote Originally Posted by rx-79g
    I guess I'm just amazed the an unthreaded shell and a cupless pressed in bearing system for an oversized alumium spindle isn't obviously lighter than an external cup/steel spindle system. Those numbers would have been obvious when they CAD designs were half finished.

    Of course, I have an Octalink BB'd Ritchey crank that together are lighter than a Rival or Ultegra external set up. Maybe the 30 stuff is still in development, or maybe we've hit the point of vanishing returns with oversized stuff. But I'm not going to be feeling poorly about me English BB shells anytime soon.
    They are lighter. Even SRAM has them around 150 gr lighter. Unfortunately, they charge a bit more too.
    http://www.sram.com/sram/road/produc...set#fragment-2

    There are bb30 issues, but there are for any set up it seems. The ride difference with a BB30 set up vs an English set up is not huge. It is slightly noticeable in stiffness and snappiness of the cranks and BB shell. It's certainly isn't something you go dump your current frame for. It's a nice perk.
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

    They have enough in common to blast down it.

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,492
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg
    They are lighter. Even SRAM has them around 150 gr lighter. Unfortunately, they charge a bit more too.
    http://www.sram.com/sram/road/produc...set#fragment-2

    There are bb30 issues, but there are for any set up it seems. The ride difference with a BB30 set up vs an English set up is not huge. It is slightly noticeable in stiffness and snappiness of the cranks and BB shell. It's certainly isn't something you go dump your current frame for. It's a nice perk.
    I think the author of the article either read something that minimized the difference in spindle weights. 791 vs. 645g is signicant, even if the rest is a wash.

    Thanks.

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: .40AET's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    71
    Maybe someone can offer me some suggestions.

    The good: I broke my frame and received a sweet upgrade as a replacement.
    The bad, sortof: It has a BB30 shell and I have a relatively new crank with outboard bearings.

    I could buy a new crank, the best that I've seen is the Sram s900 for $295. I can't find any BB30 cranks that have a 180mm arms and I'd like to stick with that.

    I just started reading about the BB30 last night and have a lot of research to do. Looks like I need a new tool at the minimum.

    Thanks,

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,492
    Quote Originally Posted by .40AET
    Maybe someone can offer me some suggestions.

    The good: I broke my frame and received a sweet upgrade as a replacement.
    The bad, sortof: It has a BB30 shell and I have a relatively new crank with outboard bearings.

    I could buy a new crank, the best that I've seen is the Sram s900 for $295. I can't find any BB30 cranks that have a 180mm arms and I'd like to stick with that.

    I just started reading about the BB30 last night and have a lot of research to do. Looks like I need a new tool at the minimum.

    Thanks,
    There are adapters that allow you to use your outboard bearing crank with the BB30 bearings. Look for "Shimano to BB30 adapter", or whatever brand you have. The kind you want are step down rings that go between the spindle and bearings, not the kind that make the BB30 into English.

    You don't need speciality tools to insert. You can press the bearings with a bench vice, or some very simple home made stuff. Take a look at youtube.

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: bikerjulio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,492
    If your cranks are campy, then you just buy the campy BB30 adapter cups. no problem.
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

    There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: .40AET's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    71
    Thanks, cranks are SRAM and so far, it doesn't look like there is an adapter for them. Only Shimano. I may just order a new crank to take advantage of the BB30 and move the current crank over to another bike that came with shorter arm.

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,492
    Quote Originally Posted by .40AET
    Thanks, cranks are SRAM and so far, it doesn't look like there is an adapter for them. Only Shimano. I may just order a new crank to take advantage of the BB30 and move the current crank over to another bike that came with shorter arm.
    Here they are:
    http://wheelsmfg.com/content/view/892/67/

  18. #18
    cs1
    cs1 is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: cs1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,293
    Quote Originally Posted by danl1 View Post
    So is Lynskey.
    It looks like Raleigh is replacing BB30 with PF30 on their cyclocross bikes for 2013.
    1995 Waterford 1200
    1999 Waterford RSE-11
    Plus a host of old bikes too many to list.

  19. #19
    Matnlely Dregaend
    Reputation: DrSmile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,745
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    They are lighter. Even SRAM has them around 150 gr lighter. Unfortunately, they charge a bit more too.
    SRAM Force Crankset | SRAM

    There are bb30 issues, but there are for any set up it seems. The ride difference with a BB30 set up vs an English set up is not huge. It is slightly noticeable in stiffness and snappiness of the cranks and BB shell. It's certainly isn't something you go dump your current frame for. It's a nice perk.
    I just wanted to point out that a good old English bottom bracket Super Record crankset and cups setup weighs 585+45=630 grams and even the steel axle Record crankset weighs only 43 grams more. The weight savings seem like a marginal gain for the huge con of giving up a long standing BB standard.
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't been %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody

  20. #20
    Not Banned
    Reputation: atpjunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    49,013
    from over in the cx forum I have heard nothing great about BB30s
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

    still not figgering on biggering

  21. #21
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Horze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    247
    Hi,

    I used to be Pro-BB30.

    But not any more. BB30 sounded good in theory but the "Shimano design" is ultimately better due to its simplicity, durability and stability. Thereby I consider the threaded BB standard to be more appealing. It may not be the best or most optimised, but until BB standards make some monumental shift, based on what's out there (BSA/BB30/PF30) conventional BSA is preferable.

    There are a number of performance oriented, technical considerations too between these standards but now view the Shimano design as preferable. I will return to this discussion at another time.

    Believe me I was a tremendous proponent of integrated OS-BB (BB30) but have since altered my view. Based on experience and technical considerations since that time. The industry has obviously since moved on to BB30 and PF30 standards but I no longer believe these standards to be sound.

  22. #22
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    9
    Both are press fit and are made in width (s) of 68mm and 73mm. However the BB30 is 42mm in diameter whereas the PF30 is 46mm. measure the diameter of your shell to see which one you need ( almost certainly BB30). You actually have the choice of many cranks with a BB30 frame because sram make an adaptor to British and Italian threads which is cheap and light. I am using the adaptor to put an Octalink dura ace crank on a BB30 frame. i have read there can be creaking but hopefully with very firm installation i will me able to minimise this. hope this helps

  23. #23
    On a different mission...
    Reputation: Zachariah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    622
    Here is a visual of the Wheels Mfg BB30 adapters. A precision, 24-gram part that works well, with either SRAM, FSA or Shimano:

    2007 Cannondale SystemSix1 - Full Dura Ace; Campagnolo Shamal Ultra SOLD

  24. #24
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    54
    I'm running a Bb30 on my cross bike with Sram XX cranks and Wheels mnfc adapters. Works great without creaking. Very stiff. Get the Park Bb30 tool if youre going to DIY. Tried installing first set of bearings with homemade hs press. Worked ok but so much easier with proper tools.

  25. #25
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    373
    I'm done with BB30. Not only do they eventually creak, but often the BB30 steel bottom bracket comes loose from the carbon. Not sure why, perhaps they don't put enough carbon around them. But I've had 2 frames from separate manufacturers where it did the same thing. I'm sticking with BSA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.