BB5 vs BB7 vs BB King!
    MTT
    RoadBikeReview Member

BB5 vs BB7 vs BB King!

Ok so I have heard the mechanical road disc brake BB7s are much easier to adjust than the BB5s, but I might be able to get a great deal on a Cross bike with BB5s. My questions to those of you out there who have experience with either one or both-

1- Is there really a huge difference, and how difficult is it to adjust the BB5s?
    2- How much does it cost to swap out the BB5 for the BB7? I should just need the meat of the brake, and not the cables or rotors right?

Thanks MTT

Rub it............
    Better adjustability, power and modulation with the BB7's over the BB5's.
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    You can adjust both pads on the 7's but only the outboard pad on the 5's.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I will take BB King every time!
    It all comes down to rule 5!!

m_s
    oh lonesome road for you
    Nov 2007
    in addition to the outboard pad adjustment, which is nice, the BB7s use a different, larger pad style, the same as the Juicy series. There are way more options for aftermarket pads with different compounds and such for the 7s.

If you want to swap them, you only need the calipers. And new cables I guess.

Worth it? I dunno.

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Yes, the 7's are worth the upgrade. They are wayyyyyyyyyyyy better. You don't need cables though. They are the same.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    I agree with the comments about the 7's being much better than the 5's. Still can't wait the the SRAM APEX Groupo to come with Hydro Brifters....my cyclocross dream.

MTT
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I had heard the 7s were more adjustable and easier to fine tune and get working properly, but no one I talked to said the performance was better. Good to know. I hope the shop can order my bike with the 7s (if I go that route), because the Redline Conquest Classic comes with the 5s. I don't mind the steel China frame, but I do want BB King (in the form of the 7s) to roll with me!

MTT

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    I never had 7s. I only have disc brakes on my MTB, and I went to hydraulics after I got annoyed with my 5s, and had some money to throw at them.

The 5s have a very small brake pad. I had problems with them wearing down in a couple of races, to the extent that performance suffered, even when I started with newish ones and good tuning. My instinct is that having more pad area will be good for longevity, as well as the other advantages. Unless this bike will never see mud.

I ride in circles..
    The 7's are awesome brakes... Have them on 2 of my mountain bikes.. Certainly can't go wrong with them. The 5's lack the fine tuning and have smaller pads so will be less powerful.
    ~ Long Live Long Rides~

breathe in,out; repeat
    Jun 2011
    I have the bb5s on my Haro Mary SS. I really don't like them much. Even with a lot of weight on the front (parking lot; I'm not crazy), I can't really lock them up. They'll squeal a bit, but they just don't have that much power. Since they came with the bike, I'm not about to upgrade to BB7. But if that's an option for you, I hear the BB7s are pretty good. I might move the Hayes hydros from my other bike over to this one and upgrade that bike. But that's in the future.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    I run BB7's on my 29er and they are great. Good stopping power and super adjustable. I almost dread getting a hydrolic system on my next bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jr59 View Post
    I will take BB King every time!
    ++1, i'd rep more but don't have any to give
    "For me, I don't go the judgmental route. Everyone's got their own story. I go about my life in my own way. I know where I'm going; I know what I want. With that being said, sometimes there's going to be a little humor involved. At first glance, second glance, third glance, you may not get it. That's OK. It's not for you to get. It's for me to enjoy."

I fling Poo
    Quote Originally Posted by AMessy View Post
    I agree with the comments about the 7's being much better than the 5's. Still can't wait the the SRAM APEX Groupo to come with Hydro Brifters....my cyclocross dream.
    I gasped when I read that, I would crawl thru broken glass for a pair...

Had both BB7 and BB5's...BB7's are better for all of the reasons listed above.
    "Batteries not included
    May contain traces of nuts
    Your mileage may vary

Juanmoretime
    BB7's for brakes are hard to beat. Great stopping, cheap and better adjustability over the BB5.

Now BB King blows them both away. I have 4th row tickets to see him at the Virginia Theater in Champaign, Illinois on the 23rd of this month!
    For my next trick I will now set myself on fire!