BB90 removal tool options

Printable View

• 05-05-2019
    GDTRFB
    3 Attachment(s)
    BB90 removal tool options
    I'd like to change by Trek Domane's BB (press-fit BB90) on my own.
    I need to buy a removal tool & bearing press, but I'm undecided on the removal tool.

Does anyone have feedback on any either of these?

Attachment 325039

Attachment 325038

This press looks like it'll do the job:

Attachment 325040

Thanks
  • 05-05-2019
    Srode
    For removal I use the Park tool on the top (BB90.3), works well. The press on the bottom looks like it would handle the installation fine.
  • 05-05-2019
    No Time Toulouse
    CXWrench posting in 5...4...3....2...

FWIW, I'm the kind of cheapskate who never bothered buying a headset press, and have managed to do the job with just a long lag bolt, a nut, and a collection of stacked washers, maybe with a little gentle tapping from my machinist's hammer to keep things going straight. I wonder if a BB could be done the same way? I have a newer bike that uses a BB90, so eventually I'll have to make the same choice....
  • 05-05-2019
    nova_rider
    I have the Unior BB90 tool as it provides a much more controlled removal than using a hammer. Cups are not installed using a hammer, and should not be removed using one, IMO.
  • 05-05-2019
    cxwrench
    We have the Enduro tool that both installs and removes. It works really well. The Wheels Man. press is also very well made. We have been using the one for hub bearings for a while.
  • 05-05-2019
    No Time Toulouse
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nova_rider View Post
    I have the Unior BB90 tool as it provides a much more controlled removal than using a hammer. Cups are not installed using a hammer, and should not be removed using one, IMO.

And yet, that first pic of the extractor relies on using a hammer.....
  • 05-05-2019
    steelbikerider
    The Wheels Manufacturing BB press works much better than bolts and washers and is worth the $$. I've done both.
  • 05-05-2019
    nova_rider
    Quote:

Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    And yet, that first pic of the extractor relies on using a hammer.....

Precisely why I have the second one shown. I considered Enduro and Wheels Mfg, but can't quite justify their cost for non-commercial use.
  • 05-09-2019
    oberwil
    The Wheelsmfg is ok for install, But don't get their extractors(collettes) for removal. They have no chamfer on their ends. So it's possible to knock the collette out without it taking the bearing with it. I've had issues with them.
    The Park tool works well.
    But I hate using a hammer on a carbon frame.
    I use Park Tools BBP-1