bent dropout - bend it back?

Jun 2008

bent dropout - bend it back?

Greetings.
    Just got a road bike from one of the mail order houses. It arrived with a bent dropout on the fork. I sent it back to the mailhouse, and they just told me they bent it back and are sending it back to me. Is this legit? It's a chromoly fork. The front tab on the dropout had been banged inward toward the axle slot, so apparently they just pushed it back outward. Is this going to weaken the metal? Is it safe? Thanks.

Back from the dead
    It may be perfectly fine, but I would demand a new fork. You buy a new bike, you deserve a new fork, not a "repaired" fork. Demand a new fork and they'll probably still send you the same fork, but at least you'll feel better about it.

duh...
    that's crap... what mail order house? you didn't buy a bent fork. I'd protest, and take it up with your cc if needed. they didn't ship with insurance?

you're not talking about the laywer tab, are you?

Jun 2008

yup it's crap

Yup it's crap. I understand that sometimes things get damaged, maybe it's the shipper, etc., but this ain't right.

They made the decision and put it in the mail by the time I talked to the customer service rep. I said I'd see it when it got here but reserved my right to object.

I just got it, and it's chintzy. They bent the dropout back so it looks straight (...), and then used non-matching paint and did a terrible job of it - spotchy, tacky. Granted it's just the dropout so it's not an aesthetic question. But it's the dropout - without quality paint it'll get chipped/worn to hell and rust a lot sooner.

In their defense the bike is on backorder, but if they don't have a matching fork, a much better option would be to send or at least discount a similar fork.

Not the lawyer tab - the front "arm" of the dropout itself, the part that sits in front of the axle and b/w the QR nut and the hub locknut. Pic might be attached. No, it's not the angle that makes that look funny.

I'm going to call now and protest.... I'll let you know what happens...and they may or may not get dragged through the forum mud!
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    One of my associates when sending back damaged items would write "damaged" on the item's box. This then hopefully prevented them from recycling it out to some other customer. On items like this, depending what the seller intends to do for you, you can place a small hidden mark where it is not obvious to help you identify it.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005

??

Unless the photo really distorted parallels, I don't understand the "fix." The fork end slot still looks unusable—how did you get an axle into it?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fjg246
    Yup it's crap. I understand that sometimes things get damaged, maybe it's the shipper, etc., but this ain't right.
    That ain't right. You bought something new- not bent back to shape, and they did a piss poor job at that!