Best bar tape?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best bar tape?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009

Best bar tape?

Which has been the lightest, most comfortable, most shock absorbing tape for you?

kytyree
    Deda is pretty light and fairly comfortable but there are a slew of ones that are just as good IMO, its all a matter of what's cheapest, if you want more cushion either use gel pads or wrap them twice (cheaper).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    I've never considered the weight of my bar tape; wheels yes, tape no.

Fizik tape is very comfortable, lasted a long time, looks great. Cinelli/Forte is just OK; the edges don't lay flat. Specialized is very stretchy; with gel pads its really nice.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    I like Deda & Fizik. IMO the Fizik is better. It as a suede like feel that's grippy even in the rain. Deda is nice, but short. You have to be careful wrapping or you'll run out of tape. Even so, you won't have an extra 3". It's good at shock absorbing, looks nice, but it's not nearly as grippy as the Fizik. Cinelli used to be good, but in the past few years it's IMO it's not nearly as good as it used to be.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

Self-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kytyree
    Deda is pretty light and fairly comfortable but there are a slew of ones that are just as good IMO, its all a matter of what's cheapest, if you want more cushion either use gel pads or wrap them twice (cheaper).

I used to double wrap with Deda tape but recently splurged on Fizik tape with the gel pads. I've been pleasantly surprised by the comfort, the looks and durability of it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    What about good ol (cheap) Bike Ribbon Cork Plus ?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    I've got the fizik dual layer tape with the sticky padding on the drop. It's the only griptape I'll ever trust again.

a little too stoked
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Versatile
    I like Deda & Fizik. IMO the Fizik is better. It as a suede like feel that's grippy even in the rain. Deda is nice, but short. You have to be careful wrapping or you'll run out of tape. Even so, you won't have an extra 3". It's good at shock absorbing, looks nice, but it's not nearly as grippy as the Fizik. Cinelli used to be good, but in the past few years it's IMO it's not nearly as good as it used to be.
    Well said. Deda and Fizik seem to be tops in bar tape right now.

And I don't know wtf happened to Cinelli. They used to be the best.
    MH: I want to go like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Sys: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that the children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    After years of using Deda, Fizik, Cinelli and a lot of other stuff, I have recently found that I love Specialized Roubaix tape. It wraps fairly thick, is spongy and feels like tennis racket tape - the fuzzy kind, not the smooth leathery type.

I love it!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    I like the Bontrager Grippy tape. Not to thick not to thin. I was able to remove it and reuse it when i replaced a brake cable. Other tape i have used would tear when i would go to remove it.

kytyree
    Quote Originally Posted by rocco
    I used to double wrap with Deda tape but recently splurged on Fizik tape with the gel pads. I've been pleasantly surprised by the comfort, the looks and durability of it.

I like the Fizik gel pads and their tape is durable, I typically use Deda though mostly because its good enough, wraps easily and its cheap. It is a bit short especially compared to Fizik where I always have extra even on wide bars.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I started with no name cork tape, then went to Cineli cork tape. A newer bike came with Bontrager cork tape. I prefer Cineli due to the history of it, but being objective they all felt/last/applied the same.

I just put Fizik tape on a bike, but pulled it off after 25 miles. Why? Compared to cork tape, the Fizik tape (without the gel pads/kit under it) is very hard and I found it very uncomfortable. I reinstalled a new roll of Fizik with the Fizik gel pads under it, and it's much much better.

What will I buy next time? For ease of installation I will be fitting cineli cork (white or black). I might consider another Fizik kit with the gels, but the Cineli is 1/3 the price.

From a green perspective, the cork tape is better for the environment? It's from trees and is compostable?

Cat 3 in TT, Cat 6 in Rd.
    Dec 2007
    Specialized Bar Phat. Gives the bar a bit more girth, which is great for your handlnig and comfort. I intend to keep the pads on when I switch over to some profile design 2-tone bar tape.
    2012 Idaho State TT Champion: Cat. 4

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bdaghisallo1
    After years of using Deda, Fizik, Cinelli and a lot of other stuff, I have recently found that I love Specialized Roubaix tape. It wraps fairly thick, is spongy and feels like tennis racket tape - the fuzzy kind, not the smooth leathery type.

I love it!
    +1 couldnt agree more

Arundel. Lasts forever, too. I have some on a bike that's 3 years old.

http://www.arundelbike.com/gecko.html?p=1.1.3.1
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Fizik...I have some Fizik tape that is a couple years old that has been run through the washing machine a couple of times. The only white tape that stays clean, accept for wear marks...I have gel tape on my main ride. I like the stuff in the winter as I have a bad right hand...just about all gel tape feel the same. Plain black. Easy to mount, cheap.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatyPius
    Arundel. Lasts forever, too. I have some on a bike that's 3 years old.

http://www.arundelbike.com/gecko.html?p=1.1.3.1

I second that suggestion. This tape rocks, looks great (especially in black) and is super comfy.

Converted Runner
    Another vote for Arundel; I've been using their Gecko Grip tape and I really like it. I find it grips better than cork tape even when wet, and it cleans very easily (a must for white bar tape). The only downside is that it doesn't stretch a lot, which can lead to wrapping problems if you run 44cm wing-style bars...

RoadBikeReview Member

Talking Aztec Vibe Wrap...

...does the trick for me, but other posters have pretty much covered the horizon...they're all good, it's just preference...
    Go big, or take up bowling...

Quote Originally Posted by aengbretson
    Another vote for Arundel; I've been using their Gecko Grip tape and I really like it. I find it grips better than cork tape even when wet, and it cleans very easily (a must for white bar tape). The only downside is that it doesn't stretch a lot, which can lead to wrapping problems if you run 44cm wing-style bars...
    This thread reminded me that I had been neglecting my "spending money" duties. So, I placed my first order with Arundel a little while ago. Every colour of Gecko tape (2 sets each), 6 seat bags, and a couple of the stainless steel bottle cages.

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

Höchstgeschwindigkeit
    My new Giant came with Giant Cork tape. It's grippy and has held up since March and over 7,500 miles. I will replace in Feb when I get my Gore Ride-On cables but man I've never had tape last so long.

.·*°¤`*·.·*´¤°*·.·*°¤`*·.
    My bike came with Bontrager cork and I just replaced it last night with Bontrager cork.

It was my frist time taping my own bike. The first side went on no problem, the second side I had to redo like 5 times. grr.

the taping received kitteh approval...

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Ravx Stitchwrap on some and cloth on others.

I actually really like this stuff.

I dont know whats with all the padding. I dont wear gloves and dont really need tape except for grip. Why do people have so many problems with shock?
    Even is a 5-6 hour century I dont havea problem. Am I missing out on something?

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    I use plain old Cinelli cork tape.

Quote Originally Posted by A from Il
    Ravx Stitchwrap on some and cloth on others.

I actually really like this stuff.

I dont know whats with all the padding. I dont wear gloves and dont really need tape except for grip. Why do people have so many problems with shock?
    Even is a 5-6 hour century I dont havea problem. Am I missing out on something?
    I like RavX Stitchwrap also. That's what I have on my Rawland Sogn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast