Best compression plug for carbon steerer?
    RoadBikeReview Member

Best compression plug for carbon steerer?

I've got an Easton carbon fork w/ carbon steerer that I am about to put on a new bike. The fork came with Easton's Bear Trap headset adjuster, but I do not want to use it...I've heard some bad reviews about it.

I'm considering getting a Deda Spadca plug, an FSA compression plug, or the Hope Head Doctor. Any had any good or bad experiences with any of those? Or, can anyone recommend another type of compression plug for carbon steerer tubes? Thanks.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Whatever you do, just don't use a star nut. I did, and had to replace the fork.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ouch, a painful and expensive lesson learned. sorry to hear about that...

A Midwesterner In Europe
    Mar 2005

Giant Bicycles

Quote Originally Posted by thegood
    I've got an Easton carbon fork w/ carbon steerer that I am about to put on a new bike. The fork came with Easton's Bear Trap headset adjuster, but I do not want to use it...I've heard some bad reviews about it.

I'm considering getting a Deda Spadca plug, an FSA compression plug, or the Hope Head Doctor. Any had any good or bad experiences with any of those? Or, can anyone recommend another type of compression plug for carbon steerer tubes? Thanks.

The one that comes on Giant TCR's with Carbon fork steerers is really nice, your local dealer should be able to get one. Very easy to use and it's removable.

And don't use the Bear Trap, awful product, save the ziplock bag it came in though, it's certainly more useful.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    I like TA if weight isn't a concern because it holds very well even with non round inside steerer dimensions, but Extralite makes a nice 9g one.

Aug 2006
    I've used the FSA on about 6 different builds with great results, no problems.

RoadBikeReview Member
    cool, thanks. i was leanin toward the FSA.

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by j.king
    And don't use the Bear Trap, awful product, save the ziplock bag it came in though, it's certainly more useful.
    I assume you've used one for some time to make that assessment. What about it was awful? Conceptually it seems like a good idea. While I haven't used one, I do have an EC90SLX that I'm about to install so I'd be interested to hear from those that have used it what their experience has been. Everyone saying "its crap" etc. isn't very descriptive of the problem they had. At least on other forums I discovered most of the people heard that it was crap rather than actually having used it.

Big is relative
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerli
    I assume you've used one for some time to make that assessment. What about it was awful? Conceptually it seems like a good idea. While I haven't used one, I do have an EC90SLX that I'm about to install so I'd be interested to hear from those that have used it what their experience has been. Everyone saying "its crap" etc. isn't very descriptive of the problem they had. At least on other forums I discovered most of the people heard that it was crap rather than actually having used it.
    I put an Easton SL on my Pegoretti about three weeks ago and tried the beartrap device that came with the fork. I followed the directions and it constantly came loose throughout the longest 100 mile ride that I have ever done. I was carrying a set of allen keys and readjusted it each time it came loose. When I got home I installed a Problem Solvers compression plug and cap. Several hundred miles later and it is still properly adjusted. I guy I ride with uses one and has had no problems, but he is using a Ritchey stem. I have a FSA OS-115 stem..
    Retired sailor

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbill
    ...guy I ride with uses one and has had no problems, but he is using a Ritchey stem. I have a FSA OS-115 stem..
    Based on what I've been able to extrapolate from the various web threads on this matter, you seem to have touched on the critical factor. The usefullness of the BearTrap device seems very dependent on the stem choice. There are many threads over at WW website and in several of those threads the people with one or two specific stems had problems, while others with various other stems had no prblems. I'm going to give it a try, and just not start out with any centuries. At this point it costs me nothing to try it vs. buying a compression plug, and if it doesn't work, oh well.