Best powermeter?

Printable View

• 05-02-2019
    wradom
    Best powermeter?
    What is everyones favorite powermeter? I used powertap wheels forever and loved that I never had to do anything with it and it gave me one simple power number to keep track of and make progess on. I'd like to get a replacement along that same vein, something I could set up once and just grab my bike and go with.. I don't need dual measurement or anything like that but I'd like to avoid a hub setup to avoid re building my rear wheel again..

looking mainly at crank and pedal options.. p2 seems reasonable (anyone clip one in a corner and have issues)? Vector 3 seems unnecessarily complicated, srms are crazy expensive and I'd like to avoid something that just measures one side and doubles it (single pedal/single crankarm)..
  • 05-02-2019
    cxwrench
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wradom View Post
    What is everyones favorite powermeter? I used powertap wheels forever and loved that I never had to do anything with it and it gave me one simple power number to keep track of and make progess on. I'd like to get a replacement along that same vein, something I could set up once and just grab my bike and go with.. I don't need dual measurement or anything like that but I'd like to avoid a hub setup to avoid re building my rear wheel again..

looking mainly at crank and pedal options.. p2 seems reasonable (anyone clip one in a corner and have issues)? Vector 3 seems unnecessarily complicated, srms are crazy expensive and I'd like to avoid something that just measures one side and doubles it (single pedal/single crankarm)..

SRM and Quarq. They are NOT single sided, they just happen to have all the strain gauges on the drive side. That does not mean they only provide power for the right leg. SRM has been the class of the field forever.
  • 05-03-2019
    eboos
    For what it's worth: I have a 2nd Gen Stages single sided power meter on my road bike, and I thought the variation between my left and right leg would make the readings inaccurate. I tore everything worth tearing in my left knee about 16 years ago and for a while my left leg was much weaker than my right.

Later I got a Quarq for my CX bike, and expected to see a power output imbalance between my left and right leg. Nope. 50/50. Yeah, I would totally choose the Quarq over the Stages, but with some of the deals available on Stages I wouldn't pass them up for fear of inaccuracy.
  • 05-04-2019
    Srode
    I have Vector 3, Pioneer, Power2max S, and a few sets of powertap hubs and I had Stages single arm for a couple years. For simplicity and not needing great left/right data for a crank/pedal based system the Power2max and Pioneer have been flawless. I will make the caviat on the Power2max, it reads about 3-5% lower than my others consistently but what's really important is consistency not absolute accuracy and this is an older model, not their current versions. (I wish Garmin made a power correction factor adjustment option in their head units so a person could adjust the bias from one PM to another).

Based on my limited experience, for what you are looking for I would go with either the Power2max or Pioneer, and pick the one that has the best pricing you can find if it's for a road bike. If you are doing offroad / gravel / CX I would use the Power2max because it's a more robust design and Pioneer has exclusion wording in their warranty for off road use (or at least did the last time I checked).

I wouldn't even consider an SRM - they are stupid priced new and need to be sent in for calibration after chain ring changes etc - they are becoming obsolete from a value standpoint IMHO. No experience with Quarq, P1 or other options out there- but you might want to checkout DC Rainmaker power meter comparisons. The P1 pedals are pretty heavy to so personally they wouldn't be on my list to compare.
  • 05-04-2019
    cxwrench
    SRM is going for $1499.00 with chainrings, barely more than a Quarq once you buy and install rings. The new AXS Quarq is $1200.00. If you have a SRAM crank already that uses the separate spider you can save some money for sure, but otherwise they're close. SRM has come down a ton in the last few years.
  • 05-05-2019
    Srode
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    SRM is going for $1499.00 with chainrings, barely more than a Quarq once you buy and install rings. The new AXS Quarq is $1200.00. If you have a SRAM crank already that uses the separate spider you can save some money for sure, but otherwise they're close. SRM has come down a ton in the last few years.

Wow, they have come down a bunch - but still I don't see why someone would choose an SRM when you can get a Pioneer Ultegra 8000 for $1000 MSRP - and don't need to send it in to have it calibrated if you change rings etc. On sale the Pioneers have been sub $800 for Ultegra and $1000 for Dura Ace. Power2max has options in the $500 range if you have a crank already and just need a spider (like Rotor etc).
  • 05-05-2019
    jetdog9
    I'm in the middle of a 4iiii factory installation, can't wait to give them a try. They should arrive back in the next week. It's my first foray into power meters. Their shipping cost for the factory install used to be pretty high but seems to have come down (and they now pay both ways), so I decided to give it a try.

$749 for Precision Pro (coin battery, dual-side) on DA-9000s, before tax/shipping.
  • 07-31-2019
    jetdog9
    So one of the reasons I was more interested in a dual setup than single although I was trying to be price-conscious was that my legs are very asymmetrical. Whether it's from genes or growing up playing two asymmetrical sports in tennis and soccer, my left calf is noticeably larger than my right and although it's not as easy to tell from looking, my right quads are much stronger than my left. I figured this would affect my power balance.

After a couple months with rides of varying distance and difficulty:
    -My L/R balance is consistently 50-50
    -My torque effectiveness is the same for both legs
    -My pedal smoothness is the same for both legs

Go figure... guess I spent a couple hundred extra bucks for naught. :-)
  • 07-31-2019
    Srode
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    So one of the reasons I was more interested in a dual setup than single although I was trying to be price-conscious was that my legs are very asymmetrical. Whether it's from genes or growing up playing two asymmetrical sports in tennis and soccer, my left calf is noticeably larger than my right and although it's not as easy to tell from looking, my right quads are much stronger than my left. I figured this would affect my power balance.

After a couple months with rides of varying distance and difficulty:
    -My L/R balance is consistently 50-50
    -My torque effectiveness is the same for both legs
    -My pedal smoothness is the same for both legs

Go figure... guess I spent a couple hundred extra bucks for naught. :-)

I like true dual sided for the same reason, asymetry - like 46/54 on average L/R. I have the same torque effectiveness and pedal smoothness L/R generally but the power is definitely different. It's more pronounced when soft spinning than hammering for some reason.