Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Squint
    Why not fill the hollow interior of bars with expanding polyurethane foam if you're going to do anything at all?
    why not ride a bit more? say ... take a longer route? a harder climb? and forget about it..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Squint
    Why not fill the hollow interior of bars with expanding polyurethane foam if you're going to do anything at all?

My friend, you have just invented the $200 aluminum handlebar. Just buy a bulk supply of Modolo X-Eras bars (on sale at Nashbar for $15) and a case of the foam.
    Drop of few of these babies on some LBS floors and you're a rich man. Just send me one for free and I'll post a thread about how they made my cycling a much more fufulling experience.

RoadBikeReview Member
    im sorry im going to have to bump this thread.. put them in the bars i have on my cervelo soloist and wow... my bike was extreme in harsh and vibrations at highspeeds on my local crit course... and seriously these little bar ends took off a solid 60-75% of the road vibe.. now it didnt totally solve my problem.. but it took off enough like i said to notice....

at low speeds i felt some relief ... but nothing like it at higher speeds 20+ even bombed down a local hill of mine a few times with them on and off to really get the feel.... i will never turn back on this again! awesome product!!
    LOOK / CERVELO / BRIDGESTONE / TREK / BMC / COLNAGO

Life Coach
    Wow. I was really experiencing some deja vu while reading about the salesman dropping the bar to the floor. You dug deep for this one.

That said, these things are amazingly common in the motorcycling world.

RoadBikeReview Member

I like them.

They came with my bike. The first race my front wheel hit some sand and me and my brand new bike hit the deck hard. The bike recieved a few chips, I recieved some grazes and the bar end plugs went into orbit never to be seen again... After riding without them I felt I could notice a difference and got some replacements. I got some Shoe Goo to keep them put in case of another crash. They're good but don't expect the earth to change or anything. The Bontrager bar tape is good too if you want vibration dampening.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I have a much better solution for getting the buzz out of stiff wheels. I tie rubber bands from spoketo spoke. I use skinny round ones for my climbing wheels, and flat ones for my aero wheels.
    Now I'm looking for dimpled rubber bands to improve aerodynamics.
    I can't use corks cause the wine I drink only comes in a box. But if you fold up the box properly, and push really hard, it will fit up there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jhamlin38
    I can't use corks cause the wine I drink only comes in a box. But if you fold up the box properly, and push really hard, it will fit up there.
    I think you are on to something here but the box will not work. You need to finish the wine and insert the bag into the handle bars and inflate the bag by blowing into the spout, or better yet....cut out the spout, get some epoxy and fix a presta valve to it so you can vary your pressure. Then we can start a new thread about when pressure you run in your handle bars and what boxed wines have the lowest weight bags in them. This makes getting a flat in your handle bars enjoyable since you just have to finish another box of wine to repair them

Gruntled
    Too bad there isn't something you could wrap around the handlebars that would absorb vibration and provide a grippy surface for your hands.

It's funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's hilarious.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008
    Im pretty sure that the reason the dropping the bar test made a different is because they were just a pair of bars falling to the floor. The better question would if those bars were wrapped in bartape with a pair of shifter/levers on them, a stem attatched, and a guy with cycling gloves holding the bar would it have made any different noise when whacked against the floor. I dont doubt that they made a thud instead of a ringing sound when dropped because a bare set of bars with holes in the end will do that. When they plugged the holes it stopped the ringing. A plastic bar plug properly installed with a halfwrap of bartape shouldve done the whole thing. The fact is that your stem, levers, and you should dampen the ringing vibration enough when riding. What you still feel while riding is road noise which is being translated by the whole bike up through the stem. Theres nothing that a barplug can do about that. I understand what trek is going for with these and it makes sense that a rubber plug will stop the harmonic noise in the bar but that what I wonder is if theres any harmonic noise at all once the bar is fully set up and equipped.

Reality Star
    The real test would be to swap these in and out of the handlebars and have the riders evaluate the "feel" without knowing if they were in or out. The old double blind, placebo controlled study.

Everything else is just heresay.

Reality Star
    The real test would be to swap these in and out of the handlebars and have the riders evaluate the "feel" without knowing if they were in or out. The old double blind, placebo controlled study.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jhamlin38
    I have a much better solution for getting the buzz out of stiff wheels. I tie rubber bands from spoketo spoke. I use skinny round ones for my climbing wheels, and flat ones for my aero wheels.
    You'd kill a lot more vibration, and extend the life of your wheels, if you put pneumatic tires on them instead.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Duende
    The real question is why anyone resurrected this ancient thread.

BTW, it's not "heresay," but "hearsay" (I hear it, then I say it to you). And what you're talking about here isn't objectionable because it's hearsay, but because it's ancedotal evidence from uncontrolled experiments.

RoadBikeReview Member
    wow this thread again... oh and btw.. .a month after i got them... friends swore i was crazy... and took the little bar end caps out and put just regular bontrager ones.. i did a long weekend ride an my hands were hurting and my arms were fatigue alot more than usual.. i was like wtf is going on here.. i was like these dampening things must be off... of course found out that a buddy of mine swaped them out when i was unloading my car without me knowing...

got a new bike with new fsa compact bars... gonna use them in that as well.. also some new cushy cinelli jelly tape..
    LOOK / CERVELO / BRIDGESTONE / TREK / BMC / COLNAGO

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia
    The real question is why anyone resurrected this ancient thread.

BTW, it's not "heresay," but "hearsay" (I hear it, then I say it to you). And what you're talking about here isn't objectionable because it's hearsay, but because it's ancedotal evidence from uncontrolled experiments.
    unless they meant heresy.....in which case it is still misspelled.....
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    I like them. On my harsh Allez Pro they made a big difference in the feel of the bars as soon as I put them in. Now I have a Surly Pacer with 32c tires and we'll see if they are even needed in that application.

Frog Whisperer
    It's BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK !

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    What? is this thread a buzz kill or something?

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Solo, with others
    What? is this thread a buzz kill or something?
    sorry, lol, but this thread has been floating to the surface since July of 2005.........

The bottom line is........lowering your tire pressure is FAR more effective than buzz-kills!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse D Smith View Post
    I crammed one up my butt to see if it damped the nasty road vibrations that get transferred to my backside. I have to say, they totally took my mind off of any road vibrations.
    Okay this thread needs a revisit. With the prevalence of damping seatposts a la Ergon or Ritchey Flexlogic is it a good time to think about giving up this butt plug application?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nothing like a good thread dredge. Better than taking a good dump.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I missed it the first times???? still works!
    BANNED

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12