Bottom Bracket Adapter Advice - Non BB30 Crank to BB30 Frame
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009

Bottom Bracket Adapter Advice - Non BB30 Crank to BB30 Frame

Ok...long story...keep it short as I can...I have a CAAD10 w/SRAM Force BB30 compact crank. Want to try Rotor Q-Rings but they only make one outer ring that's compatible with my crank. It's a 50t and is not 5 position adjustable like their regular Road & Aero rings. I had wanted to run their 52/36 Aero rings. So now I'm comtemplating replacing the crank with the same thing but in GXP (non-BB30). So now I need a bottom bracket adapter to do this. I know nothing about bottom bracket adapters..... Somebody please school me. What brands, technologies, etc. Not interested in any ceramic stuff.... Just reasonably priced, reasonably light, & reliable. Also, will the adapter increase my Q-factor ? I'd actually like this... as long as the chainline/shifting isn't negatively affected..
    Last edited by JoeOxfordCT; 05-06-2013 at 05:08 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    since the earliest days of BB30 in around 2000, a threaded sleeve type adapter has been available. these are pressed in with loctite, and convert the BB to BSA, so any threaded BB system can be used, including GXP. I'd consider this a semi-permanent solution although the sleeve may be pressed out with care. also reliable. SRAM and FSA make this type.

a simpler answer is Wheels Man. or Problem Solvers adapter which leaves the existing BB30 bearings in place and presses delrin cups into them, which sleeve down and space out at the same time to fit a GXP crank. advantage is simplicity, and easier to remove if it doesn't work out. disadvantage is that it relies on the existing bearings being nice and tight in the frame. if they were squeaking before, this won't help.

suggest you google "BB30 adapter" and you will see what I mean.

Vendors like Wiggle sell both types.
    Last edited by bikerjulio; 05-07-2013 at 04:40 AM.
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks Julio,
    I would like for whatever solution I implement to be reversible, if not for myself, for when I sell the bike a few years down the road. So far the bearings have been nice & quiet. Do the adapters widen the Q-factor ? As I said, I would actually welcome this as long as it did not affect shifting performance which will be fun enough setting up with the Q-Rings I plan to run.
    Anything else you can tell me as to what to look for or avoid in a BB30 bottom bracket adapter ?

RoadBikeReview Member
    One of the "selling points" (though no advantage IMO because my heels are already close enough to the chainstays), of BB30 was lower Q factor. Whether SRAM took advantage of this with their BB30 cranks, I don't know. You'd have to research SRAM tech docs. So Q factor is possibly wider with their GXP cranks, or not.

If you are OK with your existing bearings then go the delrin route. as I said it's easy to reverse. although I would not worry too much if the frame was converted to threaded. not everyone is a fan of BB30, and to a good portion of knowledgeable people, a used BB30 frame is a liability.
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM