RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2015

Bottom bracket changing q-factor?

I just changed out the bottom bracket on my Domane with an Enduro model and the dust seal it came with seems to be thicker than the outgoing one. Is it possible that the q-factor will change? I just spent a mint on a really in-depth fit that resulted in spacers on my pedal and I'm wondering if I shouldn't remove one of the spacers to compensate.

I didn't look beforehand, and I'm not pressing in the old bearings to find out, but it looks like there isn't as much engagement on the NDS crank arm threads after this change. Does this look normal? The new dust seal does not seem to fully seat (see below). The factory dust seals (stock photo below) seem to be much slimmer.

Bottom bracket changing q-factor?-img_0901.jpg

Bottom bracket changing q-factor?-img_0900.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bottom bracket changing q-factor?-s-l1600.jpg  

'brifter' is a lame word.
    You don't use both. Either the black ones that come w/ Trek bearings, OR the red ones that come w/ Enduro. One or the other. The Trek bearings have to use their black spacers. If you're using Trek bearings AND the red shields that's your problem.

ETA: Reread your post...I'm not sure what the hell you're doing but you have too many spacers OR spacers that are too thick.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    You don't use both. Either the black ones that come w/ Trek bearings, OR the red ones that come w/ Enduro. One or the other. The Trek bearings have to use their black spacers. If you're using Trek bearings AND the red shields that's your problem.

ETA: Reread your post...I'm not sure what the hell you're doing but you have too many spacers OR spacers that are too thick.
    Not using any spacers. Just the Enduro bearings in the frame and the Enduro dust seals between the crank and the frame and thatís what it looks like

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Did you compare the lenght of the BB's new/old before you installed them?
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    Did you compare the lenght of the BB's new/old before you installed them?
    No but they look the same besides seal color.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    Are you sure the bearings are pressed all the way in?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by masont View Post
    Are you sure the bearings are pressed all the way in?
    They are flush with the frame. Is there another way to tell?

Take the crank out. Provide photos of the bearings in the frame, and the seals you're using. Something is definitely not right.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    One more thing, if you'll allow me to be pedantic - Q factor is a measure of the actual crankset itself. A frame or bottom bracket can't change it. Pedal washers or extended axle pedals won't change it either (those change your stance width.)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Take the crank out. Provide photos of the bearings in the frame, and the seals you're using. Something is definitely not right.
    Here you go.

Bottom bracket changing q-factor?-img_0915.jpg

Bottom bracket changing q-factor?-img_0914.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Just checked the BB90 Enduro bearing set in my tool box, it comes with a red seal and black washer/spacers. My Domane uses just the red seal, with the red side of the seal on the outside, and silver inside against the bearing. If you have both in there, ditch the black spacer and see what happens. I realize you might have answered this above, just clarifying since both come with the bearing set, and the trek spacers are actually stuck to their bearings.

What does the Drive side look like - can you take a picture of it with the crank in looking at it so we can see how far in it's going?
    Last edited by Srode; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:36 PM.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

Here's one I just did...looks super close. Show me the crank and the spacers you're trying to use.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2015
    I just went to the Trek shop and bought one of theirs, much more engagement on the crank but Iím still confused at this Enduro setup.

I didnt use any of rhe black spacers, just the red seals with red side out

RoadBikeReview Member
    Enduro bearing kit 5418? I just compared the stack up with seals between Enduro and Trek in my toolbox and they are identical - something's off for sure. Maybe compare the stack up between your old bearings you knocked out and the Enduro with seals?
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    Enduro bearing kit 5418? I just compared the stack up with seals between Enduro and Trek in my toolbox and they are identical - something's off for sure. Maybe compare the stack up between your old bearings you knocked out and the Enduro with seals?
    Yep. But the Enduro seals seem thicker than the standard black dust seal in the model below.

https://www.trekbicyclesuperstore.co...mano-13303.htm

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by masont View Post
    One more thing, if you'll allow me to be pedantic - Q factor is a measure of the actual crankset itself. A frame or bottom bracket can't change it. Pedal washers or extended axle pedals won't change it either (those change your stance width.)
    How can Q factor not be impacted on how a crankset fits laterally on a bottom bracket spindle? Pedal washers certainly change it as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by GKSki View Post
    How can Q factor not be impacted on how a crankset fits laterally on a bottom bracket spindle? Pedal washers certainly change it as well.
    Q factor is the distance from one outer crank arm face where the pedals attach to the other crank arm face when mounted to the BB. Unlike what masont seems to be suggesting, changing the length of the BB spindle will absolutely change the Q factor. Q Factor + pedal washers or longer pedal axles change the rider's stance - the effective distance between the feet on the pedals.