bottom bracket conumdrum
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005

bottom bracket conumdrum

Hi all,

Forgive me since this is a question about my fat bike (Rocky Mtn Blizzard) bottom bracket. The crank was spinning like it was lubed with crunchy peanut butter, so I am replacing it. Doing my digging on the Rocky Mtn site, I found the appropriate BB, the SRAM/Truvativ GXP 100mm threaded.

All went well until I went to install the crank. The spindle is on the crank, and after installing the cups and greasing the spindle, I slid it through the drive side bearings and cup. All was well.

The trouble came when the spindle would not go through the non-drive side bearing and cups. It seems that it has a slightly, maybe 2mm (as I measured with a measuring tape) opening.

I pulled the cup to see if I could slide it over the spindle, thinking there could be some misalignment, then tighten it, but no such luck The spindle measures, as my inaccurate measuring tape shows, about 24mm in diameter, which seems about right. but the opening on the cup/bearing seems to be about 22 or 23 mm.

I've never had a crank spindle go through one cup/bearing and jam against the other. The grease cap also has splines that will not fit with the splines in the spindle.

The SRAM/Truvativ online manual is no help. What is it i'm missing here?

Thanks as always,
    Bradley

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Never mind. I just closely read the description for what I bought that mentions how the non-drive side bearing is designed for SRAM cranks, which I don't have. Lesson learned. Hopefully Amazon will take it back and I get the right BB. Or I drop some money for a nicer crank.
    Bradley

Slowski
    Shimano (and possibly others) cranks have a straight 24mm axle, but as you discovered SRAM GXP cranks have a 24mm drive side and 22mm non drive side. A BB with the same shell but for a Shimano crankset should fit your needs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Thanks for that.
    Bradley