Brake Caliper Adjuster Barrel Won't Move
    S2H
    wut?

Brake Caliper Adjuster Barrel Won't Move

I have cross levers on my bike that I plan to remove. I am going to duplicate the housing length when I cut my new housing, but I have a question...

I have barrel adjusters both on the brake calipers and also where the cables enters the cross levers. I can, therefore, adjust cable tension for each cable from two different barrels.

On the rear cable, however, the barrel on the caliper will not move either way (but the one on the lever will). Any particular reasons the barrel might not move?

If this might be due to housing length, I'd like to know before cutting my new housing to the same length as the old stuff. I'd hate to redo my brakes but not be able to fine tune them.

BTW, the bike is 10 mo. old and stored inside; it's not rusted or anything. This barrel never moved.
    Last edited by S2H; 04-19-2006 at 06:06 PM.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Try spraying some Liquid Wrench on it. Wait about 10 min., then try it. I'd also try using pliers, (gently).
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Are you sure?

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty2Hotty
    I have cross levers on my bike that I plan to remove. On the rear cable, however, the barrel on the caliper will not move either way (but the one on the lever will). Any particular reasons the barrel might not move? This barrel never moved.
    First question is: Are you sure it is a barrel adjuster? Can you see threads? It could just be a big ferrule. Assuming it is a barrel adjuster, something like Liquid Wrench or Kroil should loosen it.

S2H
    wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons
    First question is: Are you sure it is a barrel adjuster? Can you see threads? It could just be a big ferrule. Assuming it is a barrel adjuster, something like Liquid Wrench or Kroil should loosen it.
    I am 100% sure it's a barrel adjuster.

I don't remember it ever turning. Is it possible that the housing was cut wrong or something, or does that have nothing to do with it?

Island Hopping cyclist
    I have seen cable housing installed without a cap on the end, causing the housing to flare out and bind up the cable tension adjuster.

S2H
    wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by DieselDan
    I have seen cable housing installed without a cap on the end, causing the housing to flare out and bind up the cable tension adjuster.
    No, I have a cap... I guess I can always just put a new adjuster on if need be.

S2H
    wut?
    I did just need to take a wrench to it after all. I'm dumb. Thanks for the advice.