Brake Pad Holders for Zero G
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007

Brake Pad Holders for Zero G

I was looking into changing out the Swisstop Yellow pads on my Zero Gravity Ti brakes and read some disappointing reviews of Ciamillo's pad holders. I am about to acquire a set of carbon tubulars with a carbon brake track so I will need to change pads often, sometimes under pressure before a race if road conditions are poor or if the tubies go flat. If the pad holders are tough to work with it will make life that much more difficult. I would also like to be able to use my stockpile of shimano-style pads. So, does anyone have suggestions either for dealing with the stock Zero G holders or for a shimano-style holder that will allow for quick, easy pad changes and won't break the bank?

RoadBikeReview Member
    JagWire has decent pad holders. They just don't look all that fancy. I bought some to replace my Shimano ones because they use a hex tool instead of Phillips head.

Could be just me, but pretty much every Shimano screw I deal with can strip easily at the head.

Juanmoretime
    I just bought an extra set of pad holders for my Gravitas and have one set up for aluminum rims and the other carbon. Much easier than slipping the pads in an out since its less than 5 minutes to change them.
    For my next trick I will now set myself on fire!

Re-Cyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmoretime View Post
    I just bought an extra set of pad holders for my Gravitas and have one set up for aluminum rims and the other carbon. Much easier than slipping the pads in an out since its less than 5 minutes to change them.
    That's the way to go. Trying to remove the pads themselves under pressure is a no-win.
    Santa Barbara, CA -- My Photo Site -- My Business Site

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmoretime View Post
    Interesting. And you guys find it easier to unscrew, replace and center all four pad holders? that certainly doesn't speak well to the design of the Ciamillo holders.

Has anyone tried using the stock SRAM Red pad holders on their Zero G's? My concern would be pad clearance with a set of Zipp 404 tubulars.

Slightly Opinionated
    Quote Originally Posted by PigmyRacer View Post
    Interesting. And you guys find it easier to unscrew, replace and center all four pad holders? that certainly doesn't speak well to the design of the Ciamillo holders.

Has anyone tried using the stock SRAM Red pad holders on their Zero G's? My concern would be pad clearance with a set of Zipp 404 tubulars.
    Haven't tried SRAM shoes, but I have tried Shimano Ultegra shoes, and they were definitely a no-go.

The Ciamillo shoes use Campy pads, so maybe Campy shoes would work.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    Teh Lounge- "Its not just for weirdos anymore. It is for those trying to escape the noobsauce questions."
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Trolling the lounge is like noodling for piranha.

The Daily Grind Cycling Journal & Tailwind Coaching

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    EE brake pad holders fit the bill. Very easy to use

Slightly Opinionated
    Quote Originally Posted by homebrew View Post
    ee brake pad holders fit the bill. Very easy to use
    "ee"?
    Teh Lounge- "Its not just for weirdos anymore. It is for those trying to escape the noobsauce questions."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by robdamanii View Post
    Haven't tried SRAM shoes, but I have tried Shimano Ultegra shoes, and they were definitely a no-go.

The Ciamillo shoes use Campy pads, so maybe Campy shoes would work.
    Did the Shimano shoes not provide enough clearance?

The style of brake pad is has no impact on clearance so I doubt that Shimano vs. Campy is the issue (unless the Campy shoes are actually lower profile).

I have heard great things about the eecycleworks holders (and their brakes for that matter) but at $110 they are a bit expensive in my opinion.

Again, any experience with ZG brakes and common pad holders (Red or DA)?

Slightly Opinionated
    Quote Originally Posted by PigmyRacer View Post
    Did the Shimano shoes not provide enough clearance?

The style of brake pad is has no impact on clearance so I doubt that Shimano vs. Campy is the issue (unless the Campy shoes are actually lower profile).

I have heard great things about the eecycleworks holders (and their brakes for that matter) but at $110 they are a bit expensive in my opinion.

Again, any experience with ZG brakes and common pad holders (Red or DA)?
    They didn't work, period. Different mounting style than the Ciamillo shoes. The Shimano shoes have a post on the shoe that slots into the arm, which accepts the mounting bolt, and they didn't fit at all on the Ciamillo brakes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have a set of the Negative GS-L brakes and find it easy to just slip the pads out of their holders, and that seems easier than unscrewing the holders, reinstalling new holders and having to make sure thy are set right.

Re-Cyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by Dray3573 View Post
    I have a set of the Negative GS-L brakes and find it easy to just slip the pads out of their holders, and that seems easier than unscrewing the holders, reinstalling new holders and having to make sure thy are set right.
    I have those brakes, and perhaps depending on the maker of the pads themselves, it is quite difficult to remove the pads. They certainly don't just slip out. at least with the yellow swiss stop and black reynolds (for carbon). It took some doin'.
    Santa Barbara, CA -- My Photo Site -- My Business Site

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Can anyone verify that the eecycleworks brake shoes will give me enough clearance with the new Zipp 303 tubulars?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ciamillo now has an XL cam thats supposed to open the brake a few more millimeters.

pjo
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Hi! Found this thread and thought that i could use it for my question.

Can anyone verify that the eecycleworks brake shoes will fit on Ciamillo ZG?

Thanks in advance.

/Patrik

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Bump.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    I had Ciamillo's until about 4 months ago. The micro cam upgrade was real nice, and made the calipers feel like they had better modulation when braking.
    Pads.... padholders.... both a pain to deal with. I bought some regular Shimano style pad holders, and had to modify them a bit to work. It didnt take long, about 5 minutes of grinding the pads threaded part (forgot the name for it, but its shaped like a T and its where the bolt screws into on the pad). This allowed me to run regular pads just fine with a couple of concave washers. I got rid of the calipers after experiencing non existent customer support... and got TRP 970's

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks for the reply Diopena1,
    I had thought about doing the same but as i don't have a vise (my living room is my workshop!!) I thought it might be easier to find some other brands that will just bolt straight on. but since you have confirmed this will work then maybe it is the way to go.

Can anyone confirm if pad holders from the likes of EE, AX lightness etc will bolt on to Ciamillo brakes?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD View Post
    Thanks for the reply Diopena1,
    I had thought about doing the same but as i don't have a vise (my living room is my workshop!!) I thought it might be easier to find some other brands that will just bolt straight on. but since you have confirmed this will work then maybe it is the way to go.

Can anyone confirm if pad holders from the likes of EE, AX lightness etc will bolt on to Ciamillo brakes?

Bump! What's the latest on Ciamillo and aftermarket pad holders?? Which ones work?