Which brake pads on which bike?
    RoadBikeReview Member

Which brake pads on which bike?

I got a set of Dura Ace BR-7800, and a set of Kool Stop Dura (the black) pads this winter. I definitely need to replace the pads on my winter/rain bike. I'd also like to replace the pads on my much newer summer, never-gets-wet bike. Which pads for which bike? Both are Ultegra components, if that matters. DOES it matter which I put on which? I have no experience with the Kool Stops...
    Just ride.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    I have Kool Stop pads on all my bikes. IME they're almost always superior to stock pads. All my bikes get ridden in the rain, so I always get the two-tone black & salmon pads. They work great in any conditions.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

n00bsauce
    I almost always use Kool Stop salmon, definitely for a winter/rain bike. For your never sees rain bike it depends on how you use your brakes and how much. Salmon provide the best stopping power but they're softer and don't last as long. The black/salmon pads are a good compromise. If you only use your brakes to scrub off some speed then black are probably all you need.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

"We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002
    I'll actually answer the OP's question rather than spend his money.

Dura Ace pads on the new bike.

Kool Stops on the rain bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ewitz
    I'll actually answer the OP's question rather than spend his money.

Dura Ace pads on the new bike.

Kool Stops on the rain bike.
    And, YOU WIN first prize! Thanks for being perceptive. Where do I send the beer??
    Just ride.