Broke freehub? How is this even possible?
    Neophyte

Broke freehub? How is this even possible?

Haven't taken things apart yet to investigate, but on a gravel ride yesterday my rear hub somehow gave way while under load on a steep climb. At first I thought wheel spun out on loose dirt but it was soon apparent things were much worse. 5 miles of hike-a-bike to get home, luckily mostly downhill.

How is this even possible? I don't think it's a pawl engagement issue as it was under load and working, then gave way.

Anyhow, broken now. Does not engage pedaling forward. See video.

Formula hub in the guise of OEM Scott/Syncros RP 2.0 disc wheelset. Wish they still used DT Swiss.

Edit, adding part details to top of thread: The actual Formula hub model is TXC-142S (centerlock disc, 12x142, straight pull). Freehub part is FH-536.
    Last edited by jetdog9; 1 Week Ago at 10:08 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Take it apart and post pictures for the curious.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Pawls can die and break. Could be a few things. Either way, until you dissect, you won't know. GL finding parts.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    How is this even possible?
    How is it possible? Massive quad strength. That's what you should have gone with. You blew a perfectly good "humblebrag" opportunity.
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Cheap hubs = Cheap freehubs.

That's how it happened.

Let us know how easy you found it to source a replacement, and to install it.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Hard to imagine that hub has multiple pawls/springs...they'd all have to break for this to happen. It's possible...
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Neophyte
    I'll post another video later, but it wasn't the pawls.

Something broke in the freehub such that everything that should be treated as one non-moving piece was instead two pieces. I can imagine the reason it's manufactured with multiple pieces is so they can put on different shells to support different types of cassette, but there is some poor design/manufacturing here somewhere. I'm not Peter Sagan or anything, and at the time things gave way my power was only reading about 550W. Wheel has 450 miles on it.

Good news: I already had a rebuild kit for this wheel (Scott is usually responsive to my emails and a local Scott dealer is really good about getting me weird replacement parts, I went ahead and ordered when I got the wheels because one of the hub caps was damaged). So I am already up and running with new freehub..

Bad news: I have absolutely no faith in the part and can only imagine this will happen again when I'm 30 miles to the middle of nowhere.

The actual Formula hub model is TXC-142S (centerlock disc, 12x142, straight pull). Freehub part is FH-536.
    Last edited by jetdog9; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:49 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    450 miles only? I would try to have that warrantied. No obvious signs of external damage anywhere & jra when it happened is definitely a warranty issue in my books. Is there a recall on that?
    Last edited by stan01; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:45 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    How is it possible? Massive quad strength. That's what you should have gone with. You blew a perfectly good "humblebrag" opportunity.
    Exactly! That's what I did when my freehub did the same thing at the end of the Western Rim trail some years back. I vaguely remember the splined carrier that the cassette slides onto had cracked but I could be wrong.

My massive quad strength also snapped a crank arm while taking off from a stop on my way to work once. That was interesting.

Neophyte
    No warranty as I got the wheels second hand although they were new (take offs). But I already had a rebuild kit and put on new freehub.

Here's a movie of the broken part by itself... shell should not be spinning independently of the rest of the freehub... wonder what broke internally, considering trying to take apart.

Again, my concern is if this is a common issue with this freehub. Have asked a Scott rep for feedback, hope to get an honest response...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Wow, that's screwed up. Reinforces my perception of most OEM wheels.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

Neophyte
    In doing some research, I see this freehub is stock on plenty of bikes with decent specs (DA and Ultegra components), it shouldn't be absolute poo. But also, it's used with lots of road bikes and some gravel bikes... I wonder if it wasn't really meant to deal with the bumpiness of trails or something.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    Exactly! That's what I did when my freehub did the same thing at the end of the Western Rim trail some years back. I vaguely remember the splined carrier that the cassette slides onto had cracked but I could be wrong.

My massive quad strength also snapped a crank arm while taking off from a stop on my way to work once. That was interesting.
    My worst non-crash bike nightmare.

I've actually envisioned myself using a spare tube to make a tourniquet (quickly before I pass out) to stop bleeding from a deep gash in my calf from the jagged end of a broken crank arm.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    take it apart. I'm guessing that there is a clutch mechanism that's stuck

Neophyte
    In progress... it's probably not going to be re-assembleable (is that a word?). Seems silly there would be a clutch mechanism in the freehub body, when there is already pawl/ratchet mechanism elsewhere... stay tuned for pictures of pieces.

Neophyte
    Verdict: Massive quad strength!!!

Seriously, though, the ring with the pawls is attached to the freehub shell by being threaded on. Nice, strong connection... except when the threaded cylinder shears off. I'll give it one more go, if it happens again I'll replace freehub again for resale but look to better wheels. BTW the munching on the splines is not from my riding, it's from the wrench I used to hold the freehub while I knocked out the bearings and stuff today. Really only 450 miles use, although a fair number of bumpy trails.

Last edited by jetdog9; 1 Week Ago at 02:46 PM.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Maybe it's time for a fixie for you.

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    My worst non-crash bike nightmare.

I've actually envisioned myself using a spare tube to make a tourniquet (quickly before I pass out) to stop bleeding from a deep gash in my calf from the jagged end of a broken crank arm.

I once watched a fellow on a group ride accidentally open up his calf (deep enough to see fatty tissue) when he hopped on his bike after a rest stop. Truly an astonishing amount of blood, too.
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

"Oh my god. This is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. Im fd.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    I once watched a fellow on a group ride accidentally open up his calf (deep enough to see fatty tissue) when he hopped on his bike after a rest stop. Truly an astonishing amount of blood, too.
    I'm not queasy around blood n guts, but the thought of a deep gash in my arms or legs makes me lightheaded.

To practice my self administered broken-crank calf-gashed first aid... I should probably get sort of drunk, blindfold myself, spin in a circle until thoroughly dizzy, then attempt to do my spare tube tourniquet on my leg, while still blindfolded. With a 30 second timer running.