a real member's member

broke the rear axle on my old grocery getter

i saw my bike sittin' there with a rear flat after i just used it yesterday, and i said, "shît! another ******* flat! well, at least i made it home this time."

after i removed the wheel, i felt the axle all wobbly in my hands and said, "whaaaa??? what the ********************! how in the ******** can this be so loose??? oh ... oh ... the axle broke. daaaaaaamn. hey, good thing i got a flat!"

this is the first time this has happened to me by me. i've had that hub/wheel in this bike for almost ten years. fortunately, all seems well with the rest of the hub. cones and races look great. guess i'll be spending the weekend on an axle* hunt.

* 10mm x 26tpi x 133mm

'75 motobécane grand record
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

Banned forever.....or not
    I've never broken an axle on a freewheel hub, but I must have bent three or four. They still needed replacing...…...Thank god for cassettes.....133mm for 126mm spacing...(Nobody is going to carry something like that, in stock, anymore)
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    I broke several freewheel style hub rear axles and in fact, they were Campy. And I don't weigh squat. Fortunately, you'll get a new axle and enjoy another 10 years.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post

* 10mm x 26tpi x 133mm

'75 motobécane grand record
    You are mixing metric and English dimensions. Being French, that axle would be only metric. Your pitch is likely 1.0mm/thread, or 25.4 tpi. Look for an M10x1.0 thread.

BTW, 26 tpi is a common Whitworth standard, whereas 24 tpi is a common English standard. You generally only see 26 tpi stuff on Raleigh, and sometimes on other bikes built by Raleigh. Otherwise, the only other bikes that use 26 tpi are at least 80 years old.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    Nobody is going to carry something like that, in stock, anymore.
    most bike shops will have one on hand, like the wheels mfg axle-08, which is 10mmx26tpi. but it will have to be cut down with a hacksaw to fit my frame. (if you put a cone or nut inside the saw mark, you can clean the sawed threads when the nut is removed.)

10mmx26tpi is the old campy standard. for you trivia buffs, it's also the threading of a campy dropout hanger.

until i can find a nos campy one, i'll try to find a used one in the bin at the lbs (hopefully, knock wood).
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
    I broke several freewheel style hub rear axles and in fact, they were Campy. And I don't weigh squat. Fortunately, you'll get a new axle and enjoy another 10 years.
    "several"? really? do you attribute it to a particular event or wide rear cluster (7-8 speed) putting a lot of stress on the axle?

what's so weird to me is my bike frame hasn't been widened (it's still only wide enough for a 5-speed freewheel), and the dropouts are aligned properly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Too old to ride plastic

a real member's member
    recycled cycles in seattle used to have three big plastic bins of used axles. i guess it's been a while since i needed one, 'cause now they just have a little drawer of them. but what used to take a while to scrounge through now only took five minutes to find a good chromoly axle that worked for me. the nice guy behind the counter sawed it down to 133mm for me for a grand total of $15 ... and he threw in a nice 3mm aluminum washer and seven tube patches. score!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014

broke the rear axle on my old grocery getter

Maybe buy a Wheels MFG axle to have on hand. If you did it once, you will bend or break it again"