Campagnolo 10 speed RD and shifters with Shimano 9 cassettes?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007

Campagnolo 10 speed RD and shifters with Shimano 9 cassettes?

Campagnolo 10 speed RD and shifters with Shimano 9 cassettes.

Does this work?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Short answer

Quote Originally Posted by mrbubbles
    Campagnolo 10 speed RD and shifters with Shimano 9 cassettes.

Does this work?
    Cog spacing is significantly different. In a word: no. Longer answer: it worn't work well.

duh...
    maybe one of those shiftmate things will make it work

toomanybikes
    It works very well, you will have 9 speeds.

There are two ways to do this.

1). Use a Shiftmate, they work very well and the performance is flawless.

2). Use a spacer kit from Branford bike, they are available to simply respace your Shimano 9 speed cassette to Campy 10 speed spacing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by toomanybikes
    2). Use a spacer kit from Branford bike, they are available to simply respace your Shimano 9 speed cassette to Campy 10 speed spacing.
    Excellent. I searched for "spacers" on branfordbike but got back several items and I have no idea which one is it.

I'm looking forward to not use the hubbub routing that's current on my bike.

Also, I have read various account of people running Campagnolo RD and shifters with 9 speed Shimano and they've said it works fine. Any disputes?

toomanybikes
    Excellent. I searched for "spacers" on branfordbike but got back several items and I have no idea which one is it.

Also, I have read various account of people running Campagnolo RD and shifters with 9 speed Shimano and they've said it works fine. Any disputes?
    I run CA,py 9 speed shifters and Derailleurs on my De Rosa , along with a Shimano 9 Speed cassette and wheel combination. I use a Jtek on that bike and it works fine.

I also have a couple of sets of wheels built on Shimano hubs where I use the spacer kit with Shimano 9 speed cassettes, using Cmpy 10 speed shifters - works fine again. No problems, you just have one unused click in the shifter.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

info...

All you have to do is compare the Campy cog spacing of 4.15mm to the 4.32mm of Shimano 9 to know that it won't work great, since the Campy RD will undershift. An overshifting setup is usually more tolerable. The J-tek or spacer kit seem like the best options. If you swapped to a 10 speed cassette, then you would have an overshifting RD for the 3.95mm Shimano spacing. Then a J-tek is the best option.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by C-40
    All you have to do is compare the Campy cog spacing of 4.15mm to the 4.32mm of Shimano 9 to know that it won't work great, since the Campy RD will undershift. An overshifting setup is usually more tolerable. The J-tek or spacer kit seem like the best options. If you swapped to a 10 speed cassette, then you would have an overshifting RD for the 3.95mm Shimano spacing. Then a J-tek is the best option.
    I've been using the Hubbub routing and it works, not as crisp as my Ultegra 10s but it works.

I would like to go full Campagnolo but nobody makes a Campagnolo splined freehub for 6 bolt disc.

4.15mm-4.32mm seems very negligible, it's 0.17mm.
    Last edited by mrbubbles; 01-06-2009 at 02:10 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

not so...

4.15mm-4.32mm seems very negligible, it's 0.17mm.
    While a single .17mm difference is negligible, mutiply that by 8 shifts and you get 1.36mm or more than 30% off location. If you adjust the RD as best you can, that can be reduced to 15% at either end of the cassette. In general, an under shifting setup is less desirable than a slightly over shifting one.

Dec 2001

real world opinion

C40's explanation is sound, but I have to say that before shimano 10 came out, I used a lot of shimano 9 support wheels on a campy 10 bike, and they shifted very well after a cursory barrel adjustment on the middle cog. I even trained or intentionally raced on a shimano9 wheel from time to time. For whatever reason, two different sram9 cassettes seem to shift slightly better than the shimano ones did, using a campy chain - could be due to differences in cassette/chain wear mismatch, cog thickness, or simply that the toothing profiles matched better - too many variables to say for sure. In any case, there was always a smaller difference in shifting performance between the campy10 and shimano9 spacing than there was between how well my bike was maintained (cabling, cleanliness, chain wear). These experiences have been on 2 bikes with different campy10 components, one that was getting pretty sloppy, and one with brand new parts. Was there abnormal pulley or cog wear? I didn't keep a record, but didn't notice any huge differences.

It sounds like this is a bike where you'll probably be using one wheel and cassette consistently, without constantly swapping wheels and casettes around. In that case, the J-tek or spacing kit would probably be ideal.
    Last edited by BenR; 01-06-2009 at 10:52 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006
    Also found my Shimano 9-speed cassette works great on my Campy 10 bike. Never figured out why, but it does!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2005

J-tek shiftmate will make this work flawlessly..

As mentioned before, just order one of these Shiftmates and you are good to go. I used this on my friend's bike for using Campy 10 shifters, w/8s Record derailleur, and it shifts BETTER than the 10s carbon der, of which 2 broke when the carbon outer plate cracked during normal usage.

Carbon in this usage is just stupid, stupid, stupid...

cmg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    couldn't you just stack spacers from Wheels Inc to the correct dim. thickness for the drive train? http://wheelsmfg.com/index.php?optio...=517&Itemid=42
    Last edited by cmg; 01-15-2009 at 01:09 PM.

Jan 2009
    I am currently using a Sram 10 speed cassette.Can I switch to 9 speed Shimano cassette?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

no...

Quote Originally Posted by second row
    I am currently using a Sram 10 speed cassette.Can I switch to 9 speed Shimano cassette?
    If you have an all SRAM or Shimano drivetrain setup to shift properly with the 10 speed cog spacing of 3.95mm, then the 4.32mm spacing of Shimano 9 won't even be close. You can probably get a J-tek shiftmate to make it work.

Old, slow, and fat.
    I'll second the 'it works with no further modifications' school of thought.

I've done it on a buddy's bike. He's NOT small, and there's been nary a missed shift.

For some reason, C10 shifts FINE on S9 cassettes. Go figger.

M
    I've moved back to NoVA. PLEASE change the weather!

Dec 2001

S10 wheel on C10 bike

For those who are thinking about trying it without modification, don't. I have used a shimano 10 wheel on a campy 10 bike - contrary to the S9 wheels, it still got me to the finish, but there was plenty of swearing and gentle shifting involved. Again, go figgur...

Roadie with unshaven legs
    Dec 2005
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. Use a post-2001 shifter with a pre-2001 rear derailleur. 9-speed shifters in this case works with a Shimano 9-speed cassette beautifully and 10-speed shifters works with a Shimano 10-speed cassette beautifully.

My old Guerciotti has Centaur 10-speed shifters with a pre-2001 Chorus rear derailleur. The pulleys are aftermarket aluminum ones without float so I don't have the benefit of having a floating upper pulley there to mask small misalignments of the chain. The cassette is a Shimano Ultegra 10-speed on an old Ultegra hub. Works great. Previously, this bike had Mirage 9-speed shifters with the same rear derailleur and an Ultegra 9-speed cassette and it worked great that way, also.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    Branford Bike (pre-fire) used to sell spacers to convert a Shimano 9-spd cassette to Campy 10-spd spacing. You needed two things to make this approach work:

(i) a Shimano-style 9-spd cassette with individual cogs (not fixed cages); and
    (ii) the replacement spacers.

One cassette that works is the SRAM PG-970 (still sold at REI: http://www.rei.com/product/761657). This cassette has a couple of threaded shafts that you can unscrew to release all of the individual cogs (and then replace the spacers). The shafts are not necessary, since the cogs fit over the freehub and are held in place by the cassette lockring.

I have done this conversion a couple of times, and it works. You gain the advantage of being able to use (ubiquitous) Shimano wheels with your Campy 10 spd drivetrain. The disadvantage is you loose one of your cogs (i.e., only 9 cogs instead of 10). The range of the Sram 12-26 cassette is great for training or for a backup wheel (using Shimano hub).

The problem is that I do not see these spacers being currently offered on either the Wheels Mfr. website or the Branford Bike sites listed above. Bummer! Anyone know if they're still available somewhere?