Campagnolo Athena 2013 & 2015 compatibility with Potenza?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010

Campagnolo Athena 2013 & 2015 compatibility with Potenza?

Hello! I found an incredible deal, and I plan to buy some aluminium shifters and derailleurs (I do not want non-metal ones). The price is so good that I want to stock on some parts, as I know the disaster that strikes when your drivetrain is no longer supported by Campagnolo. I have already chosen the levers, but... The main question is...which derailleurs, front and rear. My second question is about compatibility with BB and chainset, as I am upgrading from a mix of Chorus 9 and 10 speed.
    The all-silver shifters are Athena EP15-AT1C. I plan to use low gears (knee injuries will make you go from a lazy masher to a remarkable cadence rider). I quite like the new Centaur 12-32, as I rarely use my 13T anyway, and the new cassette will give me another higher gear, when in the small ring. I have two options for a RD, and their price is the same.
    I can get either the triple, long cage RD13-ATB13 that *could* clear the 32T (I have 425mm chainstays on my CX frame), or the medium cage Potenza RD17-POS1M. While the Potenza one can definitely clear the 32T cog... I agree with some users claiming that Campagnolo should not offer midrange components with so much plastics in it - and I also do not like the aesthetics, it is just plain fugly. With the Athena long cage I have no guarantee that the 32T will work fine.
    What worries me the most is that the pull ratio change took place in 2015 - and the 2015 Athena shifters might not be compatible with the 2013 Athena RD. On the other hand, Campagnolo claims that Potenza is not cross-compatible with other groupsets.
    The front mech I found is Athena FD12-ATB2B. I am not sure if it will work with the Athena 2015 shifters... I currently own two new FDs for 10 speed, Chorus CT that I use with all-Chorus 9 speed, and I`d like to use them. About BB and chainset...My frame required the 155.5 mm BB, as the Chorus 102mm one was too short and the inner chainring from the compact touched the frame. I use a square taper (no cups) carbon chainset and I like the simplicity of it. If it does not work fine with Athena 11, I could buy the Campagnolo CX or some other compact chainset, as I want to run a 46-34 one (I will event try the TA 33T chainring). Thanks for your time, much obliged - any help will be much appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bee-an-key View Post
    Using a Shimano grease on a Campy part will result in a new world order, your wheels will only spin one way, your bottom bracket will only turn from 12 oclock to 6 oclock, your headset will only turn left. Big problems. Use Sram and your bike will only roll backwards.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I strongly doubt it will work. 2015 Campy made major changes to the mechanical group. The 2015 parts are marked with "A" in a triangle denoting compatibility with pre-2015 isn't going to happen.
    You'll get way more "in the know" folks chiming in with Campy stuff here:
    https://weightweenies.starbike.com/f...wforum.php?f=3

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    Your lever choice pretty much dictates how this build will go. I have the 2013 version which is backwards compatible. If you stick with the 2015 levers, you will have to get the corresponding derailleurs. Potenza is a good option as it has the latest features from the higher groups & can be found online at good price. This might interest you:

https://www.pezcyclingnews.com/techn...agnolo-winner/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by stan01 View Post
    Your lever choice pretty much dictates how this build will go. I have the 2013 version which is backwards compatible. If you stick with the 2015 levers, you will have to get the corresponding derailleurs. Potenza is a good option as it has the latest features from the higher groups & can be found online at good price. This might interest you:

https://www.pezcyclingnews.com/techn...agnolo-winner/
    That Enigma is a really cool build, but pricey.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    A little update : The Velotech UK FAQ claims that Potenza and Athena are not compatible, but all Athena components from all years are suitable. It clearly says 2010-2015 too. Now I guess I must buy and try with the 12-32 cassette...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixt00l View Post
    A little update : The Velotech UK FAQ claims that Potenza and Athena are not compatible, but all Athena components from all years are suitable. It clearly says 2010-2015 too. Now I guess I must buy and try with the 12-32 cassette...
    I just checked that site & are you sure you read correctly?? Hate to burst your bubble, so before you start spending....

Q: What are the compatibilities between 2009-14 mechanical systems and their 2015 counterparts?
    A: 2015 Front and Rear derailleurs and shift levers, ErgoPower or bar-end must be used in conjunction with each other. There is no compatibility between 2009-14 shifters and 2015 or later derailleurs.

For full function, 2015 gear shift systems should be used with 2015 crank sets as the spider and chainrings are designed to be much stiffer, facilitating a better upshift in combination with the redesigned 2015 FD cage and actuation.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Thank you, sir - like I stated in the original post, any help will be much appreciated. I checked the FAQ again. Just below your quote, we read:

" All Athena 11s components with the exeption of brake blocks and holders are completely compatible across the 2009-2014 / 2015 model years.
    All Veloce 10s components are likewise, with the exeption of brake blocks and holders, completely compatible across the 2009-2014 / 2015 model years."
    I guess this means I can use 2015 Athena levers with 2013 RD and 2012 FD?
    Using a Shimano grease on a Campy part will result in a new world order, your wheels will only spin one way, your bottom bracket will only turn from 12 oclock to 6 oclock, your headset will only turn left. Big problems. Use Sram and your bike will only roll backwards.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    The quote that you referred to, they were stating that the chains & cassettes are compatible with the exception of the 12-32 cassette. They can't guarantee that it will work with 2013 rear derailleurs depending on the frame geometry.

As I said before, I think Potenza is a nice groupset but its unique to itself. It has its own unique pull ratio making it non-compatible with any other groupset. Campy first started messing with lever pull ratios when they re-designed the front derailleur with the longer lever arm. This means that you have to be diligent in making sure that you have the correct year, matching parts for your groupset to work.

As for the crankset needing to be matched as well...that isn't quite true. The tolerances are such that there is plenty of leeway that you can get away with even a 10 speed crankset & the system will still shift fine without any hiccups like say a power meter. Wink wink D) Hope this clears it up for you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    That Enigma is a really cool build, but pricey.
    I'm afraid these days, everything seems pricey. Electronic groupsets going for $3 to $4k. $7k for a new bike is the new norm???

I just wish that Campy was making alloy parts like they used to. Polished anodized that gleamed in the sunlight. I don't even know what to call the finish they presently use on their alloy parts. Brushed satin??? I guess if money is no object then you can get pretty much what you want.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Yes, Stan01, I agree. Everything is so damn pricey, especially lower end bikes, let alone carbon fibre junk. It is plain fugly and plasticky, no polymer for me, please - I am all metal. And being 92 kg is not exactly carbon-friendly. I would not buy Potenza for its plastic paddle, and DaveG was kind enough to point that his Athena shifts crisper, and is more similar to the old Campagnolo shifting style, while Potenza is a bit more like shimaNO. Having found a 11s YBN chain that costs just 16 EUR, I am determined to upgrade, as the chain cost was my main concern. I have used YBN 9s chains with good luck. And since the Centaur 11s cassette is not much more expensive than Veloce 9-10 speed cassettes, I decided to upgrade.