Campagnolo cassette replacement question (newbie alert)
    Sol
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2020

Campagnolo cassette replacement question (newbie alert)

Greetings to all!

I have recently acquired my first road bike. A Bianchi Nirone with Campagnolo chorus 10 speed groupset (-the cassette which is a Campy 9 speed, 18 small cog) and Ambrosio excellence team edition rims.

Now that I got a feel for the bike, I am planning to upgrade the cassette. I am considering buying either a new Veloce 11-25, or a lightly used Record 11-25 cassette which comes with a mavic hub.

Now the question is. Can I use the Record 11-25 10 speed cassette on the current hub? I dont want to buy it just to find out that it wont fit
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sol; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:51 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    A 10 speed groupset with a 9 speed cassette?
    I guess I am misunderstanding something.
    But wrt to cassette and hubs: as long as it is a Campagnolo hub, a Campagnolo cassette will fit.
    That's the case for 10-12 speed (and probably even 9 speed).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
    Greetings to all!

I have recently acquired my first road bike. A Bianchi Nirone with Campagnolo chorus 10 speed groupset (-the cassette which is a Campy 9 speed, 18 small cog) and Ambrosio excellence team edition rims.

Now that I got a feel for the bike, I am planning to upgrade the cassette. I am considering buying either a new Veloce 11-25, or a lightly used Record 11-25 cassette which comes with a mavic hub.

Now the question is. Can I use the Record 11-25 10 speed cassette on the current hub? I dont want to buy it just to find out that it wont fit
    How do you know you have a 10s group if you have a 9s cassette? That arrangement would not shift well.

When considering a new cassette (whichever number of cogs is the right count) you should really ask yourself why you need an 11t cog. Are you actually spinning it out? Note that pedaling downhill at 35 mph does not count, because you would be just as fast in a tight tuck and resting. Also note that Record cassettes have titanium cogs mixed in, which means that the small weight savings is cancelled out by the rapid wear.

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    So are you buying an entire wheel with the Record cassette on it? I buy a lot of used parts but the Record cassette is one I tend to avoid because of the titanium cogs; it wears more quickly and will be less likely to play well in an existing group. IMO not worth the extra cost for the weight savings and maybe tiny performance advantage. If youíre set on getting the wheel anyway and the cassette is a throw in then fine. Shifting may not be super crisp if you mixing a used cassette with a used chain from a different cassette. That will depend on total wear from either of those components.

Regarding the 10 speed groupset with your current 9 speed cassette. Are you sure itís 10 speed? If so, your shifting is probably pretty bad right now. You might want to doublecheck that. If your shifters say 10 speed on them thatís a good sign, but youíll want to make sure you can get 9 clicks on it.

And yes, a 10 speed Campy cassette with fit on a 9 speed Camoy hub.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
    Greetings to all!

What on earth do you mean by this?
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards