Campagnolo Mirage Rear Mech - No Tension
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2019

Campagnolo Mirage Rear Mech - No Tension

Hi,

I have a bike that has been in storage and transported all over the shop for a number of years without being used.

I finally got myself settled and decided to get the bike back in the road bit there is an issue with the rear mech - Campag Mirage

There is no tension in the mech and I am not sure how to refit it properly.

There is a metal "stop" that looks like it made have got bent and caused the mech to "unwind"

I am just looking for instruction on how to refit properly and how the mech should look when correctly installed.

Thanks in advance

'brifter' is a lame word.
    You're talking 'b tension' right? Kind of hard to tell w/ your description and lack of photos. Pretty sure that can be taken apart and reset but I'd have to take a look at it first, been probably 15 years since I've worked on any Mirage stuff.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2019
    Hi - thanks for looking at this.

Yeah - I would call it b tension. The b tension screw makes no difference. When the mech is attached and I pull it backwards there is no resistance- very slack chain also - and the much just flops around - I will upload some photos in 30 mins
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Campagnolo Mirage Rear Mech - No Tension-102c852e-bfd0-4254-bcac-d634c2d9e1df.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2019

Photos

Campagnolo Mirage Rear Mech - No Tension-img_0889.jpgCampagnolo Mirage Rear Mech - No Tension-img_0895.jpgCampagnolo Mirage Rear Mech - No Tension-img_0891.jpgCampagnolo Mirage Rear Mech - No Tension-img_0890.jpgCampagnolo Mirage Rear Mech - No Tension-img_0893.jpgCampagnolo Mirage Rear Mech - No Tension-img_0892.jpgCampagnolo Mirage Rear Mech - No Tension-img_0894.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0890.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	324730
    Quote Originally Posted by McFast View Post
    Hi - thanks for looking at this.

Yeah - I would call it b tension. The b tension screw makes no difference. When the mech is attached and I pull it backwards there is no resistance- very slack chain also - and the much just flops around - I will upload some photos in 30 mins

Ok, it looks to me like you need a new derailleur. In the photo I've attached the tab the upper arrow is pointing to should be behind the bump the lower arrow is pointing to. The pulley cage looks like it's coming undone from the parallelogram so something is wrong there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2019

Thanks

Thatís the bit I thought looked bent. It looks like at some in the countless moves itís got damaged.

Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Ok, it looks to me like you need a new derailleur. In the photo I've attached the tab the upper arrow is pointing to should be behind the bump the lower arrow is pointing to. The pulley cage looks like it's coming undone from the parallelogram so something is wrong there.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by McFast View Post
    There is a metal "stop" that looks like it may have gotten bent and caused the mech to "unwind."
    Sounds like an easy fix. Rewind the cage and then bend the stop back to prevent it from unwinding again.

On older derailleurs, the stop is a threaded pin. It is removed to allow the derailleur cage to be unwound and the derailleur to be fully overhauled.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    Sounds like an easy fix. Rewind the cage and then bend the stop back to prevent it from unwinding again.

On older derailleurs, the stop is a threaded pin. It is removed to allow the derailleur cage to be unwound and the derailleur to be fully overhauled.
    Newer derailleurs have the removable pin, mostly Shimano, not older ones. Older Campagnolo derailleurs don't even have one, that's where their adjustment screw is located. The outer pulley cage will need to beremoved, pulleys removed, and then the pivot bolt that holds the inner plate to the derailleur will need to be removed. The spring inside will have to be installed correctly and then the inner cage rotated to the proper position. If the tab is bent it will need to be straightened or the cage will spin out of position again.

a real member's member
    Newer derailleurs have the removable pin, mostly Shimano, not older ones. Older Campagnolo derailleurs don't even have one.
    campy calls it a grub screw. you unthread it to unload the cage spring. then you can fully disassemble. same with suntour.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

campy calls it a grub screw. you unthread it to unload the cage spring. then you can fully disassemble. same with suntour.
    We're talking about completely different parts.

a real member's member
    We're talking about completely different parts.
    in older campy, the piece i circled (pictured in red) would be removable.

the only way i know that the op's mirage cage could unwind is if that stop piece on the mirage cage were bent and not serving its purpose. thus, my suggestion in post 7: wind the cage and rebend the stop to avoid the cage unwinding again.

in older campy, the piece i circled (pictured in red) would be removable.

the only way i know that the op's mirage cage could unwind is if that stop piece on the mirage cage were bent and not serving its purpose. thus, my suggestion in post 7: wind the cage and rebend the stop to avoid the cage unwinding again.
    I totally agree w/ this. The screw I'm talking about is the one used in this derailleur instead of the tab. The screw you're talking about accomplishes the same thing more or less and is what Campy used as a sort of b-tension screw.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    deleted

Cathedral City, CA
    Nov 2005
    In 2005 I had a steel Ritchey BreakAway built up with a Campagnolo Centaur drivetrain. Even when packed in its luggage correctly, I had the rear derailleur get broken twice before I figured out what the problem was. On the 2005 derailleur, the body was a diecasting and the restraining tab just broke off. When packed, the rear section of the frame was positioned with the derailleur at the bottom. If the luggage was dropped hard enough, it would push the whole assembly upwards. With enough force, the tab would break off. There was no way to fix it. The solution was to remove the derailleur (but leave the cable alone) and wrap it separately. That way you could reattach it and not have to adjust anything.
    2016 Ritchey BreakAway (carbon)
    Full Campagnolo drivetrain - Chorus 11sp (50, 34 & 12-29)
    Zonda wheels
    Lezyne Super GPS w/Cateye speed/cadence & HR sensors
    Ritchey fork, stem, headset, bars and seatpost
    Fizik Arione VSX saddle
    Cinelli bar tape

BeBop Pedals

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    I got a bike once with a Chorus 10 speed derailleur in which the metal stop on the pivot shown in post #8 had sheared off. I theorized the chain must have somehow got caught up in it during shipment. The derailleur did the exact same thing OP describes. That is a former derailleur.