Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Campagnolo Ultrashift with Shimano triple front derailleur

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  C-40 
#1 ·
Anyone tried Campagnolo Ultrashift left shifter (1st gen 11 speed) with Shimano triple road front derailleur?

I have two road STI compatible (4603 for 50T and 6703 for 53T) and flatbar/MTB compatible (R773-0 for 50T) front derailleurs available to try.
I'm unable to find Campagnolo triple Athena fd anywhere.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Results of experiment...
1. Chorus Ultrashift 1st gen (2009 model I guess) 11sp shifters
2. Shimano 105 triple FC-5703 50-39-26 chainring (small changed from stock 30T to Stronglight 26T)
3. Shimano Tiagra FD-4603 front derailleur

This combination works much better than expected...perfect I would say.
I have two positions on small chainring, two positions on middle ring and one position on big.
Shifting from middle to small ring is fantastic and without hesitation.
From middle to big shift is very short but without any problems.
One slight issue I have noticed, when I'm on middle ring trimmed to the right and if I want to trim to the left shifter does automatically two clicks at once and wants to throw chain on small. I think that is "feature" of the shifter and would do the same with Campagnolo front derailleur. It's not big problem, all it takes is me to stop pedalling for a sec and one fast click up and it is back where I want.

Anyway, it works perfect and is 100% usable.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Shifting 2 clicks at once is not a feature. With a Campy FD, the big ring would have a trim click to the left. I believe that the middle ring could be trimmed either way. The little ring shift takes all 5 clicks, with one trim click to the right, for smaller cogs, available.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.