Campy 10 spd shifter "slipping"?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008

Campy 10 spd shifter "slipping"?

I've got a 15 year old Campy 10 spd rear shifter that seems to be "slipping" multiple gears. I just replaced the cable and housing on it, and after getting the indexing pretty good again, it seems to be slipping multiple gears while pedaling, usually over the course of about 5-30 seconds. This isn't the typical worn chain/cassette skipping between two gears. I'll get it onto the right cog (say the 19), and then ten seconds later (while pedaling) it will shift down to the 17 on its own, then 5 seconds later to the 16, etc. Sometimes it's just making 2-3 gear jumps at a time. The cable is tight and isn't slipping in the derailleur. It just doesn't want to stay in the biggest cogs for much longer than 20-30 seconds (making it tough to climb up steep hills).

Does this suggest some of the mechanics in the shifter are shot?

It didn't seem to be having this problem before I changed the cable (the old cable snapped).

Thanks for any help.

RoadBikeReview Member
    could the hanger have been bent?
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Maybe try pulling some cable by hand and see if the shifter slips and allows you to do so.

If the cable snapped inside the shifter a small piece remaining in there could be f'n things up.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Clearly your shifter needs a rebuild. The parts that need to be replaced are what's known as the 'G' springs and the retainer ring that holds them. The retainer ring might actually be broken, this happens with some regularity.
    https://www.eurobikeparts.com/prodde...d=CA-ERGOUPG_P

I'm guessing you have never done this before. There are a bunch of good videos on YouTube that explain the process. Get your self a new shifter cable and a new brake cable.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    Thanks for good suggestions.
    The hanger was bent, but I actually straightened it a few months back, prior to the cable snapping. I'll have to check how straight the cage on the derailleur is though.

I have done some minor rebuild on this shifter before, but it sounds like I may need to open it up again, and do a more extensive rebuild.
    I'm guessing the lifespan on a shifter probably isn't as long as I had assumed.

Again, thanks for advice and suggestions.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sounds like the cable is out of adjustment
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Ab24029 View Post
    No...what he is describing sounds exactly like a worn out Campy shifter that needs to be rebuilt.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    That's what I thought at first, but after adjusting the cable a lot, I was able to get the indexing reasonably dialed in, but it was still doing these "jumps", and it wasn't just one gear, it was sometimes 3-5 gears.

Riding it yesterday, i could actually feel the cable moving/slipping inside the shifter when pedaling. Sounds like a rebuild is in order.

Thanks!

If the shifter is in good shape you should be able to feel a very disctinct 'click' for each shift. As the springs and carrier wear they will feel much less distinct. If you can pull on the cable and the shifter slips back through the shifts easily this means time to rebuild. Generally this will happen on the right shifter first because you shift the rear derailleur much more compared to the front. You can tell the difference by shifting the front and comparing the feel to the rear.

RoadBikeReview Member
    One of my 10 speed Campy rear shifters requires rebuilt. I have an 10 speed newer shape extra shifter that has a broken body, but the internals are fine. Can I use the internals of the 10 speed Centaur rear shifter to rebuild an older body design Record 10 speed shifter? Cxwrench probably knows. I do not remember though is the extra shifter that I have is an Ultrashift or a Powershift. I think it is Ulstashift, although not sure. Thanks.

~ Benjamin Franklin

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Fwiw, there was one generation of campy shifters, powershift, that start to slip when shifting to higher gear. These aren't repairable without replacing the body. Doesn't sound like the OP's problem though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by davemess View Post
    That's what I thought at first, but after adjusting the cable a lot, I was able to get the indexing reasonably dialed in, but it was still doing these "jumps", and it wasn't just one gear, it was sometimes 3-5 gears.

Riding it yesterday, i could actually feel the cable moving/slipping inside the shifter when pedaling. Sounds like a rebuild is in order.
    While a broken G spring is a likely culprit, it is also possible that the shifter is just gunked up. Before you start with the rebuild, try sluicing the shifter with something like WD-40 while shifting up and down through the gears. It may free things up and get you back to working properly. If this fixes it, be sure to relube the shifter after you are done with the flush.

One of my 10 speed Campy rear shifters requires rebuilt. I have an 10 speed newer shape extra shifter that has a broken body, but the internals are fine. Can I use the internals of the 10 speed Centaur rear shifter to rebuild an older body design Record 10 speed shifter? Cxwrench probably knows. I do not remember though is the extra shifter that I have is an Ultrashift or a Powershift. I think it is Ulstashift, although not sure. Thanks.
    I don't believe you can use the parts from the Centaur to do that. ALL of the older 8, 9, and 10 speed Ergo shifters used pretty much the same parts. The newer shape shifters use a completely different internal mechanism.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    I don't believe you can use the parts from the Centaur to do that. ALL of the older 8, 9, and 10 speed Ergo shifters used pretty much the same parts. The newer shape shifters use a completely different internal mechanism.
    Thank you. Anyone knows where I can get a rebuild kit online? LBS does not carry any campy parts.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thank you. Anyone knows where I can get a rebuild kit online? LBS does not carry any campy parts.
    Surely they can order it. QBP carries all the needed parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    While a broken G spring is a likely culprit, it is also possible that the shifter is just gunked up. Before you start with the rebuild, try sluicing the shifter with something like WD-40 while shifting up and down through the gears. It may free things up and get you back to working properly. If this fixes it, be sure to relube the shifter after you are done with the flush.
    Not sure if I've ever seen a spring break but they do wear. The spring carrier ring is what usually breaks. When that happens it can't hold the springs tightly enough agains the index gear and the shifting feels mushy/the click is less defined.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Please don't douse a Campy shifter with WD-40. That is reserved for shifters that can't be rebuilt and is a last resort before replacing the shifter.

Rebuild the Campy shifter. The parts are available through QBP and if not, I think I have a bag of the springs in my work bench drawer. If your LBS can't get the parts, you need a different shop, or Shimano components.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Not sure if I've ever seen a spring break but they do wear. The spring carrier ring is what usually breaks. When that happens it can't hold the springs tightly enough agains the index gear and the shifting feels mushy/the click is less defined.
    Back when I rode Campy 9s, G-spring breaking happened to me 2-3 times. Never replaced the carrier ring; only the G-springs. So it goes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by 202cycle View Post
    Please don't douse a Campy shifter with WD-40. That is reserved for shifters that can't be rebuilt and is a last resort before replacing the shifter.
    Nonsense. I've rejuvenated my Campy shifters repeatedly by flushing them with solvent and re-lubing. I take them apart and clean/lube every winter, but sometimes during the season they need a cleaning. It depends heavily on riding conditions and mileage, but it is a very useful potential fix between overhauls.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Nonsense. I've rejuvenated my Campy shifters repeatedly by flushing them with solvent and re-lubing. I take them apart and clean/lube every winter, but sometimes during the season they need a cleaning. It depends heavily on riding conditions and mileage, but it is a very useful potential fix between overhauls.
    Not nonsense, it's proper care and maintenance of a Campy shifter. But, go ahead and spray WE-40 in there.

Back when I rode Campy 9s, G-spring breaking happened to me 2-3 times. Never replaced the carrier ring; only the G-springs. So it goes.
    Campy now has a kit that has the ring and the springs, if a shifter feels mushy I throw those in and it works like new.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    I might have a set of NOS Campy 10 QS carbon shifters -- brifters, if you will -- sitting around, if my wife didn't hock em on ebay.