• 12-22-2009
    Tabularosa78
    Campy Conversion: 9 Speed shifters to 8 Speed
    I've read that current campy 9 speed shifters can be turned into 8 speed shifters by swapping out the index gear. If this is done does the spacing change to 8 speed spacing too?

Thanks
  • 12-23-2009
    JCavilia
    well . . .
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tabularosa78
    I've read that current campy 9 speed shifters can be turned into 8 speed shifters by swapping out the index gear. If this is done does the spacing change to 8 speed spacing too?

Thanks

Yes, theoretically, IF you could get the part, but I think it's pretty much impossible to find those now. The indexing gear determines both the number of clicks and how far the cable moves with each click.

And as I think about it, it may not even be true that you can do it at all. When Campy first went to 9-speed, the internal dimensions and layout were same as their 9-speed shifters, so you could upgrade 8 to 9, or downgrade 9 to 8. I have an 8-speed from about 1999 that was converted to 9. But the guts were changed a few years ago, and the new replacement indexing cogs won't fit in my lever. So even if you could find an old 8-speed gear, I don't think it would fit in a current lever.

The folks at Branford Bike or La Bicicletta would be the experts to consult.
  • 12-23-2009
    Touch0Gray
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JCavilia
    Yes, theoretically, IF you could get the part, but I think it's pretty much impossible to find those now. The indexing gear determines both the number of clicks and how far the cable moves with each click.

And as I think about it, it may not even be true that you can do it at all. When Campy first went to 9-speed, the internal dimensions and layout were same as their 9-speed shifters, so you could upgrade 8 to 9, or downgrade 9 to 8. I have an 8-speed from about 1999 that was converted to 9. But the guts were changed a few years ago, and the new replacement indexing cogs won't fit in my lever. So even if you could find an old 8-speed gear, I don't think it would fit in a current lever.

The folks at Branford Bike or La Bicicletta would be the experts to consult.

I'd be surprised if Branford didn't have them...
  • 12-23-2009
    C-40
    surprise...
    8 speed is just about dead. Even J-tek doesn't make a 9 to 8 shiftmate (they are back in business).

http://branfordbike.com/product-list...9/?startRow=31
  • 12-23-2009
    Robert M.
    I contacted Branford a while ago asking for internals for 8 speed ergo, they told me the only parts I can replace are the g springs, everything else is not being made anymore.

Too bad, I'm currently using 8 speed Record on my bike and would lone to rebuild the levers.
  • 12-23-2009
    JCavilia
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert M.
    I contacted Branford a while ago asking for internals for 8 speed ergo, they told me the only parts I can replace are the g springs, everything else is not being made anymore.

Too bad, I'm currently using 8 speed Record on my bike and would lone to rebuild the levers.

If they're acting up, it's worth doing the rebuild even if you replace only the g-springs. The springs wearing and going soft are the major cause of loss of shifting performance. I run 9-speed, but they're old pointy levers converted from 8-speed, so I'm in the same boat, and replacing the springs has fixed poor shifting for me.
  • 12-23-2009
    Touch0Gray
    I had to re-build two rear 9 speed shifters this spring, both needed g springs and carriers. The carriers were both cracked.