Campy Conversion: 9 Speed shifters to 8 Speed
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009

Campy Conversion: 9 Speed shifters to 8 Speed

I've read that current campy 9 speed shifters can be turned into 8 speed shifters by swapping out the index gear. If this is done does the spacing change to 8 speed spacing too?

Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member

well . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Tabularosa78
    I've read that current campy 9 speed shifters can be turned into 8 speed shifters by swapping out the index gear. If this is done does the spacing change to 8 speed spacing too?

Thanks
    Yes, theoretically, IF you could get the part, but I think it's pretty much impossible to find those now. The indexing gear determines both the number of clicks and how far the cable moves with each click.

And as I think about it, it may not even be true that you can do it at all. When Campy first went to 9-speed, the internal dimensions and layout were same as their 9-speed shifters, so you could upgrade 8 to 9, or downgrade 9 to 8. I have an 8-speed from about 1999 that was converted to 9. But the guts were changed a few years ago, and the new replacement indexing cogs won't fit in my lever. So even if you could find an old 8-speed gear, I don't think it would fit in a current lever.

The folks at Branford Bike or La Bicicletta would be the experts to consult.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia
    Yes, theoretically, IF you could get the part, but I think it's pretty much impossible to find those now. The indexing gear determines both the number of clicks and how far the cable moves with each click.

And as I think about it, it may not even be true that you can do it at all. When Campy first went to 9-speed, the internal dimensions and layout were same as their 9-speed shifters, so you could upgrade 8 to 9, or downgrade 9 to 8. I have an 8-speed from about 1999 that was converted to 9. But the guts were changed a few years ago, and the new replacement indexing cogs won't fit in my lever. So even if you could find an old 8-speed gear, I don't think it would fit in a current lever.

The folks at Branford Bike or La Bicicletta would be the experts to consult.

I'd be surprised if Branford didn't have them...
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

surprise...

8 speed is just about dead. Even J-tek doesn't make a 9 to 8 shiftmate (they are back in business).

http://branfordbike.com/product-list...9/?startRow=31

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    I contacted Branford a while ago asking for internals for 8 speed ergo, they told me the only parts I can replace are the g springs, everything else is not being made anymore.

Too bad, I'm currently using 8 speed Record on my bike and would lone to rebuild the levers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert M.
    I contacted Branford a while ago asking for internals for 8 speed ergo, they told me the only parts I can replace are the g springs, everything else is not being made anymore.

Too bad, I'm currently using 8 speed Record on my bike and would lone to rebuild the levers.
    If they're acting up, it's worth doing the rebuild even if you replace only the g-springs. The springs wearing and going soft are the major cause of loss of shifting performance. I run 9-speed, but they're old pointy levers converted from 8-speed, so I'm in the same boat, and replacing the springs has fixed poor shifting for me.

Frog Whisperer
    I had to re-build two rear 9 speed shifters this spring, both needed g springs and carriers. The carriers were both cracked.
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."