Campy front hub question
    $4000 bike - two bit legs

Campy front hub question

I need to build a new front wheel. My current wheel is radially laced, 18 spoke wheel. Can I use a front hub with 32 holes?? or 28?? I'm trying to buy the hub on the cheap then bring it in to my LBS to build. I'm supporting my LBS for the labor, but his cost on the hub is about $25 more than I can buy online.
    Paul in Northern Kentucky

Across the mighty Ohio from Cincinnati:
    The Obesity Capital of the USA
    (Explains a lot of the intolerance about us riders, huh?)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

not clear...

Quote Originally Posted by PaulCL
    I need to build a new front wheel. My current wheel is radially laced, 18 spoke wheel. Can I use a front hub with 32 holes?? or 28?? I'm trying to buy the hub on the cheap then bring it in to my LBS to build. I'm supporting my LBS for the labor, but his cost on the hub is about $25 more than I can buy online.
    Are you building a new 18 spoke wheel or asking about a 28 or 32? Campy hubs are not recommended to be radially laced (voids warranty). If you're proposing an 18 spoke wheel, you'd have to get a 36H and use every other hole.

I'll clear it up with a question

Yes, I want to build another 18 hole radially laced wheel. No, I did not realize that this voids the campy warranty. Hmmmm. My reasons for the hub: I currently have a front wheel with a 3-4 year old Am. Classic hub. Piece of s**t. The hub is always "loose" - it has a lot of play side to side. Recently, its' gotten worse so I'm going to have it rebuilt. It just makes me nervous.

OK...what hub would you recommend??? My bike is outfitted with Campy Record. I wasn't going to go with a Record hub - too expensive. I currently have Sapim X-Ray spokes with a Venus rim. Yes, this is a Speed Dream front wheel. No, I not going to have Dave Thomas rebuild it. My LBS built my rear wheel 3500 miles ago and its' still perfect. I may or may not go with the X-Rays again. Another question....the rim is only 9 months old (long story), no problem reusing the rim?? Suggestions????? Would you just save the wheel as is and have a new one built from scratch??

hi, I'm Larry

Check ebay

I would be leary of running a standard Campy hub with only 18 spokes, if you do get a 36 and use every other hole. It is common practice to do a radial lace job on the Campy front, even though it voids warranty, with a 28 or 32 spoke rim but 18 would be pushing it unless your a real lightweight (which I don't think you are)

I'm a fan of the old AL Campy Shamals and Vento wheels. They are common with 18 spoke fronts. They use straight pull spokes and are a Record class hub. I've seen Shamal and Vento fronts go for less than $100 and much less if the rim is banged up. You can find just the hubs on ebay reasonable money and an 18 hole Gessippe (sp?) knockoff for real cheap. The Campy rims have a depth of 38mm so you may have to get a different set of straight pull spokes to make it work with your existing rim. I believe you can get straight pulls that work with these hubs from DT, but they are not cheap. The hubs are what you would expect of top end Campy.

You could also sell the old wheel or wheel set on ebay with a warning about the condition of the hub (for salesmanship reasons, avoid the words "piece of sh!t"). Then get the wheel or wheel set of your choosing.

sounds like a plan

So...you are saying NOT to use a Campy hub if I want radial lacing with 18 spokes but OK if I go for 28 or 32 radial or otherwise.

Other than a lighter wheel due to fewer spokes, is there really an advantage to radial lacing?? You are right, I'm no lightweight at 185lbs. I might just start from scratch with a 28 spoke front wheel and sell the other on EBAY. So....POS won't have buyers flocking to my sale???

Old, slow, and fat.
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulCL
    Yes, I want to build another 18 hole radially laced wheel. No, I did not realize that this voids the campy warranty. Hmmmm. My reasons for the hub: I currently have a front wheel with a 3-4 year old Am. Classic hub. Piece of s**t. The hub is always "loose" - it has a lot of play side to side. Recently, its' gotten worse so I'm going to have it rebuilt. It just makes me nervous.

OK...what hub would you recommend??? My bike is outfitted with Campy Record. I wasn't going to go with a Record hub - too expensive. I currently have Sapim X-Ray spokes with a Venus rim. Yes, this is a Speed Dream front wheel. No, I not going to have Dave Thomas rebuild it. My LBS built my rear wheel 3500 miles ago and its' still perfect. I may or may not go with the X-Rays again. Another question....the rim is only 9 months old (long story), no problem reusing the rim?? Suggestions????? Would you just save the wheel as is and have a new one built from scratch??
    Yeah, email me off the board. I have a Zipp hub you can have for cheep.

Reuse as much as you can provided the hubs are the same size.

M
    [email protected]
    I've moved back to NoVA. PLEASE change the weather!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

shamals have 12 or 16..

The early shamal front wheels were introduced with 16 spokes in front and later a 12-spoke front came out. I owned both at one time. Perhaps the Vento had 18, I never paid attention to these wheels.

hi, I'm Larry

I better count

I have a Vento front and a Shamal rear. I believe both are 18 but they may be 16.

Quote Originally Posted by C-40
    The early shamal front wheels were introduced with 16 spokes in front and later a 12-spoke front came out. I owned both at one time. Perhaps the Vento had 18, I never paid attention to these wheels.

The email came back

[email protected][/QUOTE]

Came back as undeliverable??? You can send me a private message (click on the link above) or email me at [email protected]

I took my wheel to my LBS for inspection. My guy said that while the movement is aggravating, its' probably not dangerous. So I'm going to keep riding the wheel. Eventually, I'll build up a new one. I still might be interested in the hub.

Jul 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by C-40
    Are you building a new 18 spoke wheel or asking about a 28 or 32? Campy hubs are not recommended to be radially laced (voids warranty). If you're proposing an 18 spoke wheel, you'd have to get a 36H and use every other hole.
    Are you sure this voids the warranty? What's going on? If a cruddy little American Classic Micro hub allows radial lacing, why can't the almighty Campy manage to build a sturdy hub? I know Shimano voids the warranty.
    As a sidenote, Sheldon Brown announced a while ago that using Campy track hubs for anything but track riding voids the warranty.

NeoRetroGrouch

Shimano is only void...

at 28 holes and greater.

TF
    "Don't those guys know they're old?!!"
    Me, off the back, at my first 50+ road race.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Quote from Campy hub manual

"ATTENTION; Campagnolo hubs are not intented for radial spoking. . . . Hub damage resulting . . . will not be repaired, nor will any replacements be provided under warranty."

This is in the manual in 6 languages. The reason is that other hubs may be designed for radial spoking, and Campy hubs are not. It's a decision that Campy has made, not a reflection of quality or hub strength explicitly. You can make a hub "radial ready" just by adding more material above the spoke holes.

All that said, many have radial spoked Campy hubs and reported no problems. Just don't be whining if your flange fails - it's a chance you take when doing this. Also, it should be noted that the only REAL benefit from radial spoking is that it makes cleaning the wheel easier (no spoke crosses to catch the cleaning rag).