Which Campy & how limited am I?

Aug 2006

Which Campy & how limited am I?

I've been told this is a "Grand Sport" Campagnolo group. Could anyone confirm this?

It's on a (mid 80's) Peugeot Reynolds 531 frame. The freewheel is a Regina Extra BX 6 speed 13-23. I don't mind the double on the front (42/53) but I would like something in the back to make the hills easier. Been looking at all kinds of freewheels on-line. Am concerned that I should restrict myself to a 6 speed so I won't have to bend the frame or make unknown changes. What sort of changes can you forsee?

Rear dropouts width (Inside Diameter) looks like 126 mm approx.

WIth the fact that it's friction shifting shouldn't I be able to maybe go with a 7 or possibly even an 8 speed. Is axle width the only limiter there?

Some of the freewheels I've been looking at are:

6 speed 13-30

7 Speed 14-28

8 speed 14-26 (could this 26 give me clearance problems with the rear derailer?)

Am I restricted to Regina only or could I use vintage Shimano or Sachs?

Or are there any others you would suggest.

Do I have English or Italian threads for this Campagnolo hub or is this a make it or break it point?

Also to pull this off I will need a freewheel remover only, right?
    I found one by ZEUS. Stated it was splined and it would fit Regina spline.
    Would that do or is that not enought to go on?

I know that I'm a "newbie" and that I'm asking the world but all your expert advice would really save me a lot of time, money and frustration and time money and frustration.
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

post in retro-classic...

I'd post this in the retro-classic forum, you'll get better info. Also try www.sheldonbrown.com, he's got a lot of good info on retro stuff.

If you really want a reliable bike for everyday use, I'd forget this bike and get a cheap new one. That will save you the most time, money and frustration. Parts that are compatible with these old bikes get can be hard to find.

If you're into restoring classics, that's different.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Crankset looks like Victory group, easily distinguished by the chainring design. Mid-80's would be right era for Victory.

Here is a link to someones webpage with their 80's Campy Victory bike. Looks the same.
    https://www.vintage-trek.com/images/...per/DP7604.jpg

The 126mm spacing was widened to 130mm when 8-speeds came out. So a 7-speed freewheel should still fit. With the 130mm axle 8-speed (at least for Shimano that I know of), the end washers on the hubs were rounded in order to more easily "bend" out the frame to fit in. This was because obviously there were all these 126mm frames out there and Shimano wanted everyone to upgrade. I'm not sure when they stopped including the round part and I don't know if Campy did this.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stevecaz
    Crankset looks like Victory group, easily distinguished by the chainring design. Mid-80's would be right era for Victory.

Here is a link to someones webpage with their 80's Campy Victory bike. Looks the same.
    https://www.vintage-trek.com/images/...per/DP7604.jpg

The 126mm spacing was widened to 130mm when 8-speeds came out. So a 7-speed freewheel should still fit. With the 130mm axle 8-speed (at least for Shimano that I know of), the end washers on the hubs were rounded in order to more easily "bend" out the frame to fit in. This was because obviously there were all these 126mm frames out there and Shimano wanted everyone to upgrade. I'm not sure when they stopped including the round part and I don't know if Campy did this.
    Most steel frames that are 126 can be cold set to 130 by a competent mechanic with tools to realign the faces of the dropouts. That said, your hubs may not have enough axle to space out to 130 and the wheel may be difficult to dish to accept an 8 speed block. Far better to go for an Ultra 7 freewheel from Suntour on ebay or Sachs ARIS 7. I would be suprised if that mech can cope with more than a 26 sprocket though. If you want a larger sprocket you may have to change the mech for a longer caged one, but if you carry on using friction any mech will work.

BrooklynVelo
    That rear derailleur also looks alot like the Victory model in my spares box. I'd say it's probably full Victory.
    Damn the Man, Save the Empire
    Brooklyn Velo Force

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Yes, that's a Victory group. Functional, but not Campy's best example of quality throughout their history....clearly sub-par. Don't put much money into it.

Aug 2006
    Thank you C-40, stevecaz, ultimobici, daneil, & brewster;

I apologize for the long delay in replying. The local group was doing a 25, 60, & 100 mi. charity ride for the Children's Miracle Network and I got to help out a little. I've never ridden in anything organized and I just wanted to watch and learn this time.

I've never thought I was intentionally into restoring classics.... thatís just what happened while me and my bike got older. I got a great price on this frame in 1986. I was living at the beach (in Northwest Florida), single and bartending at the time so I had a lot of discretionary income. Boy was it great to get on my bike after getting off work (2 a.m.) and riding the road along the beach. There wasn't any traffic, at that time, and often the moon would be reflected off the ocean. Wow, was that great. Anyway, every week I'd go in to the local bike shop and buy another piece of this group. I didn't know anything about bikes then and well that hasn't changed very much. At the end of it all I'd spend $60 on a frame and $1000 on the components. I think the most expensive bikes they had then were much much less.

The overall feeling I'm getting from you all is that I can cut my losses and get something new or continue to spend and spend and spend. Now that I have a wonderful wife and two great kids I don't have that kind of discretionary income anymore.

I must admit that this Campy group has never given me any grief at all.

I also looked into changing out the front chainrings but the BCD is approx. 117mm. (I hope I did this right...it is the Bicycle Crank/Chainring Bolt Circle Diameter). There doesn't seem to be hardly anything out there in a 5-bolt pattern.

Right now I'm thinking about keeping my sights out for a 6 or 7 speed freewheel that has a better range of gears for my wants.

What do you say?