Can a rack clamp to a carbon seat post?
    EWF
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004

Can a rack clamp to a carbon seat post?

I recently bought a Specialized Allez Elite Cr-Mo bike, with carbon fork and seatpost. I was considering ordering from Performance a rack that clamps on/off to the seatpost. (There are no holes on the frame for a permanent rack, which I'd rather not have anyhow.) My LBS sales guy thought that the post might not be able to handle the clamp + weight. I'd only have light stuff on it on those occasions I'd use it. Does anyone have experience with this issue?

Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by EWF
    I recently bought a Specialized Allez Elite Cr-Mo bike, with carbon fork and seatpost. I was considering ordering from Performance a rack that clamps on/off to the seatpost. (There are no holes on the frame for a permanent rack, which I'd rather not have anyhow.) My LBS sales guy thought that the post might not be able to handle the clamp + weight. I'd only have light stuff on it on those occasions I'd use it. Does anyone have experience with this issue?
    I wouldn't risk it. Why do it anyways? If your post snaps, you may end up with something as minor as a long ride home standing up, but it may cause you a nasty crash too. My advice would be to get a second post and swap it out when you just have to have that rack on there. Either that or order a good Timbuk2 messenger bag.

But just get a cheap alloy post for the days you need that rack... and if you aren't riding a ridiculously expensive seat, get a spare one of those too... that way if you really like the seat you are on, you have a backup when you wear it out.

Russ

No pain, no pain.
    I wouldn't risk it. I just bought a $9 alloy post (which was kind of heavy) for use with my rack. But then, I was using the rack with 30+ pounds on it. I also bought a $19 alloy seatpost from Performance for my wife's bike, and I think it would work just fine with the rack. Weighs less than 200g.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Why not a handle bar bag?

Holds roughly the same amount of stuff as a rack trunk, poses no structural risk, and looks at least as geeky.

Unless you also get a spare saddle, the adjustment time for a spare post is going to make it pretty inconvenient.

I like the Vaude handle bar bag that click onto a Klick-It carrier.
    We have nothing to lube but our chains.