Can Shimano 7800 "Deep Spline" freehub body be replaced with standard spline?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008

Can Shimano 7800 "Deep Spline" freehub body be replaced with standard spline?

I have a friend with the Dura Ace 7800 "Deep Spline" freehub body.

He'd like the option of running the SRAM cassettes as they do have an 11-28 (yea, I know the new D/A has an 11-28, but only in NEW D/A).

Can the freehub body on D/A 7800 hubs be replaced with the Freehub body for 7850?

Thanks in advance!

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    From what I've seen, no it cannot....The freehub body/hub interface is different on each model.

I have great pic at home that shows the connection of the 7700,7800, and 7850...I'll post if tonight
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

No!

There is no compatibility. If you really want that crappy shallow spline, you can take the cassette body to a machine shop and have the splines turned down. It won't be long before the cogs wear grooves into the soft aluminum, however. The shallow splines need a harder material to work properly.

Apparently there were problems with Shimano's 7800 hub redesign. It was abandoned after 2 years with the 7850 model that returned to the old design and used Ti to save weight on the cassette body.