Can Shimano ST-3400 rear shifter control a RD-3500 derailer and 11-32T cassette?i
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013

Question Can Shimano ST-3400 rear shifter control a RD-3500 derailer and 11-32T cassette?i

I currently have an all Shimano Sora 3400 set with 11-26T.

Does anyone know if the Shimano ST-3400 rear shifter can control a Shimano RD-3500 derailer and a cassette with a 32 tooth sprocket?

The RD-3500 is not on the Shimano Drivetrain Compatability Chart.
    Tech Tips

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by atlr View Post
    I currently have an all Shimano Sora 3400 set with 11-26T.

Does anyone know if the Shimano ST-3400 rear shifter can control a Shimano RD-3500 derailer and a cassette with a 32 tooth sprocket?

The RD-3500 is not on the Shimano Drivetrain Compatability Chart.
    Tech Tips
    Two questions... if you have Sora 3400 groupset, why are you asking about the RD-3500? Also, what are you running up front - a compact double or triple crankset?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013

Thank you for responding to my question.

The RD-3500-GS is spec-ed to shift up to a 32T rear cog and the RD-3400 up to 27T. Up front is a 50/39/30.

I would like a front/rear combo of 30/32 so I can have more leg movement while I pace my 4 year old son.

Shimano techdocs are usually a place to find an answer but I cannot find many techdocs about the 3500 groupset.

Cranky Old Bastard
    The RD-3500-GS is spec-ed to shift up to a 32T rear cog and the RD-3400 up to 27T. Up front is a 50/39/30.
    Shimano techdocs are usually a place to find an answer but I cannot find many techdocs about the 3500 groupset.
    It his hard to find all the specs sometimes, but yes, that 3500GS will work for you.
    Bike24 - Shimano Sora RD-3500-GS Rear Derailleur 3x9 medium - Mica Black
    Click on the fact sheet.

32 max cog and 20t chainring difference. And it will work with your shifters. I saw prices of around $28 on fleabay.
    "When you know absolutely nothing, anyone who knows 1% more than nothing sounds like an expert."

Cranky Old Bastard
    I would like a front/rear combo of 30/32 so I can have more leg movement while I pace my 4 year old son.
    I fondly remember when my son was four and I bought him his first real bike. He loved riding so much that it was hard to get him off his bike.
    I bought my first adult bike (20 years ago) just to be able to ride with him.

His legs would be going like crazy while I was hardly pedaling.
    One day we went for a couple of rides and I was amazed to see we'd ridden over seven miles and he still wanted more!
    "When you know absolutely nothing, anyone who knows 1% more than nothing sounds like an expert."

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy99CL View Post
    It his hard to find all the specs sometimes...
    When it comes to 'newish' Shimano products, this is especially true. Almost amusing that the seller has the specs before Shimano posts them.

Good detective work...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013

Re: Can Shimano ST-3400 rear shifter control a RD-3500 derailer and 11-32T cassette?i

Shimano's US web site is one of the worst I've ever seen from a major corporation. Badly organized, lousy searchability, often out of date or simply missing products. You can often do better by going to the UK site, which seems better maintained. But even there it seems clear that shimano thinks you'll keep giving them money regardless of how bad they are at providing documentation.

Cranky Old Bastard
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ352 View Post
    When it comes to 'newish' Shimano products, this is especially true. Almost amusing that the seller has the specs before Shimano posts them. Good detective work...
    Thanks PJ. Google is our friend.

Shimano seems to keep the dealers informed but doesn't care so much about consumers. Almost like they want us to go to the dealer for info.

They are the big gun and can do what they want.