Can someone recommend a steel or Ti fork?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2020

Can someone recommend a steel fork?

I have an 853 steel road bike with a carbon fork I'd like to replace with a non-carbon fork. Can someone recommend a steel fork? It's a 1 inch headset, rim brakes. I want to retain the fork rake of 43 mm or thereabouts. Thanks!
    Last edited by OnTheOuts; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:09 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by OnTheOuts View Post
    I have an 853 steel road bike with a carbon fork I'd like to replace with a non-carbon fork. Can someone recommend a steel fork? It's a 1 inch headset, rim brakes. I want to retain the fork rake of 43 mm or thereabouts. Thanks!
    1 inch forks are harder to find. Soma sells steel forks is several configurations. Dimension does as well. Never tried them so I dont have any recommendations.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Don't know what you're looking to spend but Waterford built forks start at $375 and go up. They could probably do a bang up job matching a fork to your frame.
    https://waterfordbikes.com/waterford-built-forks/

You can also call around different frame builders and see about getting a fork built. Any frame builders in your general area?
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014

Can someone recommend a steel or Ti fork?

If you don't mind my asking, why giving up on the carbon fork? I have a Columbus TSX frame with a Columbus fork that's smooth as silk so maybe I get it.

Could it be that you realize that if carbon is going to fail, there's no worse place than a fork? That's something I think about with my carbon frame/fork.
    Last edited by GKSki; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:16 PM.

Neophyte
    See if Chris Kelly has any or will make you one.

https://www.facebook.com/KellyBikeCompany/

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2020
    Yeah, I'm a bit worried that the carbon fork will fail. Maybe I'm irrational. It's a 20 year old bike with lots of miles, so my instinct is to change it out. Thanks to all who replied. My LBS suggested a cromoly fork that was inexpensive. I'm going to give it a try. Not a big investment so if I want something else I can always pursue it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Yeah, I'm a bit worried that the carbon fork will fail. Maybe I'm irrational. It's a 20 year old bike with lots of miles, so my instinct is to change it out. Thanks to all who replied. My LBS suggested a cromoly fork that was inexpensive. I'm going to give it a try. Not a big investment so if I want something else I can always pursue it.
    Just for your reference, I put 160,000 road miles on a Time CF fork (steel steerer). I weigh 180 lbs. Plus another 30,000 miles on the rollers. YMMV.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2020
    That's encouraging. Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    That's encouraging. Thanks.
    Time, high end and well respected for use of carbon, is potentially quite different from what is unknown to us.

Who knows but it's not at all a case of 'carbon is carbon' and being concerned about a 20 year old fork isn't potentially very valid. Could be a real valid concern depending on quality and abuse.

That being said I wouldn't hesitate to replace it with another carbon fork if you decided to play it cautious.
    Nothing wrong the steel other than weight though. But imo the only reason to go steel other than weight or price is to get rack mounts not found on carbon or if you need something not stock that a custom steel maker could do for you.
    I wouldn't worry about a quality carbon fork. I'd pass on the likes of Ebay bargain basement stuff though. But then again I wouldn't get a super cheap from an unknown maker fork of any material.