Carbon Bars

Thread: Carbon Bars

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005

Carbon Bars

I'm thinking about building up a new bike, and I'm weighing carbon vs. aluminum bars. The bike is going to be Di2, and I would like to use the bar-end junction box, so I may need to drill holes.

I'm considering either a used Al bar, something like an Easton EA70, or set of carbon bars. If I go the carbon route, it would probably be eBay or AliExpress from China. I'm aiming for a $50 price point, but anything from $30-80 is reasonable.

Also, I use a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt, and I don't want to have to build or buy a new mount for it, so I'd prefer bars with a relatively conventional, round tube shape.

I appreciate any advice or recommendations.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    I've had this Ergonova form factor carbon bar since last year and I'm still alive. Dimensional tolerances were good and the inside looked clean when I ran a USB endoscope through it.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Tose...AbTest=ae803_5

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by TiCoyote View Post
    I'm thinking about building up a new bike, and I'm weighing carbon vs. aluminum bars. The bike is going to be Di2, and I would like to use the bar-end junction box, so I may need to drill holes.

I'm considering either a used Al bar, something like an Easton EA70, or set of carbon bars. If I go the carbon route, it would probably be eBay or AliExpress from China. I'm aiming for a $50 price point, but anything from $30-80 is reasonable.

Also, I use a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt, and I don't want to have to build or buy a new mount for it, so I'd prefer bars with a relatively conventional, round tube shape.

I appreciate any advice or recommendations.
    A little off your question, but CF bars will not corrode like Al bars will. If you've experienced bar corrosion in the past, CF bars will solve that issue.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Drilling holes into a Chinese carbon bar?
    What could go wrong?

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Drilling holes into a Chinese carbon bar?
    What could go wrong?
    Nothing if you drill them at the ends of the bars for the Di2 wire.

Drilling (any) carbon bar elsewhere would be pretty dumb.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    They're starting to produce preconfigured bars for Di2 wiring.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Supe...AbTest=ae803_5

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2018
    fwiw; I recently got some BXT carbon bars off ebay for $29 + tax, 181grams in 44mm on my scale. 2 guys much more experienced than I looked at them (pulled/pushed/twisted etc) and gave the ok before I installed them. I'm about 180 pounds, cat1/2 masters cx and cat1 masters mtb, so not totally inexperienced.
    The stock aluminum 'pro' bars on my Scott Foil20 were 335g, - so quite an improvement (the stem was also pretty heavy). I've only ridden it once since install, -works great so far. I've put 30 hours or so on some BXT carbon riser bars on my old trainer mtb, and I have my kid (who is a pretty decent cat2 mtb racer) on a BXT frame, BXT seatposts on his road and mtb, - experience with those made me comfortable trying the BXT road bars. I also tried the BXT bar tape; quite good imo, I would definitely use their tape again.

I understand that many carbon bar failures are due to over-tightening at the stem; I bought a Prestacycle brand 4Nm 'fixed' torque tool ($15 on amazon), and 4Nm seems to be plenty adequate (with carbon assembly paste) for road bars. I mountain bike much more than road, 4Nm feels like a lot for the mtb flat bars, my opinion is that 3Nm is perfectly adequate for flat or riser mtb bars so I intend to get that tool in 3Nm too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Well, I ordered a pair of Toseek bars from a U.S.-based seller on eBay. Cost under $40 and came within a week. Look nice. Lightweight. Seem strong.

HOWEVER...

I can't fit the right shifter onto the bars. The left one fits fine, and I even tried fitting the right one onto the left side, just to see if the shifter clamp was out of speck. Nope. The right side is too thick.

I think I'm going back to alloy. Probably get a set of Zipp Service Course SL-70.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by TiCoyote View Post
    Well, I ordered a pair of Toseek bars from a U.S.-based seller on eBay. Cost under $40 and came within a week. Look nice. Lightweight. Seem strong.

HOWEVER...

I can't fit the right shifter onto the bars. The left one fits fine, and I even tried fitting the right one onto the left side, just to see if the shifter clamp was out of speck. Nope. The right side is too thick.

I think I'm going back to alloy. Probably get a set of Zipp Service Course SL-70.
    That's some quality control right there. Good idea to go w/ a known quantity when you're talking handlebars.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    That's some quality control right there. Good idea to go w/ a known quantity when you're talking handlebars.
    I would say buy cheap, buy twice, but that's only if you're lucky.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I would say buy cheap, buy twice, but that's only if you're lucky.
    I bought a knock-off Aeronova off Fleabay for my roadie, initially just to test the strange geometry to see if it worked...It wasn't until a full winter of turbo-trainer-ing that I trusted it to ride on open roads.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    I picked up Easton carbon bars several years ago, to replace the AL bars on my road bike.

The difference was noticeably less vibration in my hands. I would never go back to metal bars.

The CF bars dampened the road vibration so well, for the first few miles, I kept checking my front tire, thinking it was losing air and going soft. A few months later, I ditched my padded riding gloves, forever it seems. Full disclosure... I use fizik microtex bar tape with gel pads under the areas of the bars where I typically put my hands.

I'm living proof that once you go Black*, you never go back.

*Carbon

RoadBikeReview Member
    I know there are a variety of different experiences out there...but just saying. I've had carbon risers direct from Taiwan on my daily commuter bike for 2+ years with zero issues. Sure, all it'll take it one swift crack and a loss of teeth. But, mine have been fine and I ride this bike 3-4 times a week, plus around town for groceries and stuff, with loaded panniers.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by nayr497 View Post
    I know there are a variety of different experiences out there...but just saying. I've had carbon risers direct from Taiwan on my daily commuter bike for 2+ years with zero issues. Sure, all it'll take it one swift crack and a loss of teeth. But, mine have been fine and I ride this bike 3-4 times a week, plus around town for groceries and stuff, with loaded panniers.
    Who needs teeth, here in the Age of Vitamix?