Carbon Fork and Spacers
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014

Carbon Fork and Spacers

Sorry to dredge this topic again, but I wonder where people are at with this.

When I purchased my endurance format CF bicycle I found that to replicate my position, I needed to slam the stem down to the headset top cap. The 200mm head tube dictated this and yes I should have just purchased a traditional racing road bike. Trouble is, Bianchi issued a maintenance warning and for safety urge users to use a minimum of 5cm spacers below the stem and a maximum of 5cm above the stem. Other manufacturers have very similar warnings.

Yes, I am only approximately 5cm higher than I would like and trigonometrically a little closer to the bars, but I sure wish I could get lower, especially when on the hoods.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GKSki View Post
    Yes, I am only approximately 5cm higher than I would like and trigonometrically a little closer to the bars, but I sure wish I could get lower, especially when on the hoods.
    5cm (1.97") Do you mean 5mm?

So is there a question in your post? Are you looking for solutions? What angle stem are you using?
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Yes, 5mm spacers. Sorry. Just wondering if people have heard differently regarding manufacturer requirements, above and below.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    5mm? Just ride it.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Move the hoods (aka the whole shifter) or rotate the bars to accomplish the same thing then if you're seriously that sensitive to 5mm hoods height.

[REDACTED]
    How many degrees is your stem? Would it be too much change to flip it?

Jay's solution seems like the quickest and easiest.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I just slammed my stem on my new endurace bike, full stack of spacers above. Jesus will watch over me....
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    How many degrees is your stem? Would it be too much change to flip it?

Jay's solution seems like the quickest and easiest.
    I believe it is a standard 6d FSA SL/K stem, so 84 or 96 degrees. Using it at 84 and flipping it would set me up even higher, not lower.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    I believe the reason for Bianchi specifying at least 5mm under the stem and a maximum of 5mm above the stem has to do with the minimalist FSA compression plug that they use. At least that would be the reason for the 5mm above, so that the top cap screw can reach the compression plug well enough to place the latter centered in the stem clamp area.

[REDACTED]
    I believe it is a standard 6d FSA SL/K stem, so 84 or 96 degrees. Using it at 84 and flipping it would set me up even higher, not lower.
    Oh OK, I wasn't sure which way you had it flipped.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

I love to climb!
    Put a -17° stem on.
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Or... change the plug!
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    Or... change the plug!
    That would be the right thing to do so that the stem could be slammed and still the top cap bolt could correctly position the plug. However, that would still void the warranty, etc. because Bianchi published the service notice requiring at least 5mm under the stem.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    When I first had the bike fitted, I had the stem slammed to the headset top cap (with the exception of a 3mm metal washer that I took to be a part of the headset). I knew I was getting an endurance bike, but with this setup, I was very, very close to the position I had on the racing frame it replaced (warranty replacement).

So, I was happy with my racing position on this endurance frame until then the manufacturer came along with a safety notice document stating that I am required to use at a minimum a 5mm spacer below the stem as well as a 5mm spacer above the stem.

https://www.bianchi.com/wp-content/u...uction_Eng.pdf

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    If you want your warrenty.... use a 17deg stem installed with the horizon, it's a good look!
    BANNED